Sign in to follow this  
Huskin

Hunter in raids

I have been told that hunters are not that great in raids due to their dps compaired to other dps classes in vanilla. Is this true and if so what is a hunters roll in raids if any?

Thanks

Hunters are viable dps and there are a few boss fights that are incredibly easier by bringing hunters.

Bad players will make viable spec look bad

Amazing players will make it work even if it shouldn't

Hunters do not scale as well with gear as other DPS.  If your guild is just starting MC/Onxyia, you'll look good on the meters.

As content progresses into end game, you'll cap out around 700-900 dps with great gear.    Other dps classes can top out at 1300-2k on the same fights.

A few fights REQUIRE tranq shot on the boss, some bosses 2 hunter rotation works, others 3 works.   Would suggest no more than 4 hunters in your raid to over 3 three, in-case one of them dies during their rotation.  On a skilled raid group, 3 is a good number.

They also bring kiting utility and aggro shot which can help with a few other boss mechanics (typically not the same bosses that would require a tranq shot.   They can be extremely helpful on some of the trash in raids with their slow traps.   Also they can provide a Nature resist aura for their group for NR fights in AQ, or in BWL on Chromag if it is a Corrosive Acid breath (move a hunter into G1 and put on the buff mid fight).

First boss in Naxx Spider wing needs a hunter to give Aspect to Warrior to increase movement speed to counter Locus Swarm mechanic.   A few raid fights can benefit from kiting a mob here or there, and you bring True-Shot Aura to melee dps group to help increase raid damage outside of your actual damage meters.

Certain boss fights can benefit from hunters pulling to assigned tanks when there are multiple mobs on the pull, to prevent anybody from getting 1 shot.  (3 Bugs boss in AQ40 is huge here).

You see above, though you are lower on DPS, your utility IS needed.   Only a few bosses in the game are pure DPS checks, Patchwerk is one of them.   I suggest collecting some melee hunter gear for when your raid is going to disenchant something, take it.   On Patchwerk you can do more damage (for the raid) with melee gear on and swinging Nightfall than you would just standing back and shooting.   I know this is a very specific situation, however Patchwerk can be a stressful fight until the majority of your guild is 6/9 T3+.  And if they are only bringing 2/3 hunters that night to Naxx, but 5 are online, it is a + to have something to bring to the table others don't.

Hunter is fantastic if you want an easy class with little to no raiding effort. If you want skill or attention span to be required... you should look over to Rogue.

The DPS does not matter; guilds will take both classes regardless. What matters is how much YOU enjoy playing it. But... I remember 1 MC raid with my guild where I was top DPS (out of the full run, not vs a specific boss). All our top Mages/Rogues must have been asleep that run. They said it was a fluke which would never happen again (and it never happened more than once). It sure woke them the hell up on future meters though; they must have been embarrassed. I wonder if that can be dug out of a stats site; it would make for a good signature link lol.

They said it was a fluke which would never happen again (and it never happened more than once). It sure woke them the hell up on future meters though; they must have been embarrassed. I wonder if that can be dug out of a stats site; it would make for a good signature link lol.

If you look at the stats of any MC/Onxyia raid that is just starting MC and the warriors don't have their crafted items and good weapons, mages don't have bloodvine+zg enchants, hunters can easily compete for top spot.   Locks struggle more until ZG/BWL gear.  Mages have 3 fights they should be decursing instead of dpsing, locks lack hit, rogues and warriors should be the only ones pushing the meters on you in early MC before other raids are released.

Hunter is not a gear dependent class (surefooted spec at start), which in turn they scale poorly with gear compared to the other classes as well.

Fewer are brought. You NEED them for some fights. But other fights you don't.

Max is a bit different than the raids before then. Before Naxx you took what ever and as long as you had two each of a certain class you were good for the whole raid.

Naxx however has preferred group compositions per boss. It is common that on Naxx raid night you have plenty of people sitting outside the instance waiting to come in on a certain boss. Bosses, a lot of rotation going on. An alt may be brought in cause an extra healer on this fight is helpful, or hunter drops and brings his alt tank on 4 horseman. Using a token tier system, people don't mind as much since you don't go on 6 month dry spells cause your class item doesn't drop, like what can happen in BWL. Off set items usually whom ever is in line for it will always be there for the kill, once they get their item, considered part of the "rotation pool" for that boss as needed.

if you know how to play your class, and come fully prepared with full world buffs/consumables, and master your rotation.. You can pretty much overpreform almost any class if not atleast be in the top 5-10... .. I hate people that say hunters are not for DPS, yes they are just learn how to play your class :D

While they have a few fights the are good on due to the mechanics and assignments of other DPS classes, top 5-10 end game is not realistic if all DPS are playing to their potential.

They are one of the least gear dependent classes, which means they scale not so great with gear compared to other classes.

So when first starting with your guilds in MC, yes you can be top 5-10.  End game Naxx, by happy if you see yourself top 15.

Edited by Undertanker

I hate people that say hunters are not for DPS, yes they are just learn how to play your class

Hunters are for DPS, but their DPS pretty low compared to other classes like mages/locks/wars/rogues..I mean vs all other DPS classes

if you know how to play your class, and come fully prepared with full world buffs/consumables, and master your rotation.. You can pretty much overpreform almost any class if not atleast be in the top 5-10... .. I hate people that say hunters are not for DPS, yes they are just learn how to play your class :D

The fact is they are not as high in DPS as other classes. It doesn't matter how good you are when the class is subpar. The DPS was sacrificed mainly for longer range, mail armor, higher dodge, and a much better pet than the Warlock could ever dream of getting. Another issue however is armor. For the Hunter's damage to really shine, he needs to shoot at low armor targets, because he is physical. Raid bosses are armored like a concrete wall, which turn even the biggest of arrows into water pellets. Spells ignore armor, and thanks to the curses, the bosses don't even have magic resist.

Until bloodvine set, you can beat some casters. But the biggest reason is to have 2 hunters for tranq shot, 3 to be safe.

Edited by Overtime

and a much better pet than the Warlock could ever dream of getting

Warlock pets a way better - they got dispel/control/silence/shield/etc abilitys(depending on pets), if you in demo you got also  passive bonus by pet + fast new pet summon. Hunter pets got only dps abilitys and some mediocre situational abilitys like stealth or turtle shell.

Raid bosses are armored like a concrete wall, which turn even the biggest of arrows into water pellets

Sunder, CoR, FF diminish their armor so it's not big deal in raids, most problem is that hunters got just 2 spells with big CD's(9 sec aimed, 10 sec multi)+autoshots for DPS, they got worst world buffs(like head buff gives to hunters just 5% crit in same time melees got extra +120ap and casters extra +5 crit, also no ap from winterspring bijou, no AP from Tribute, etc). Also hunters scale worst with gear compared to other DPS classes.

Least you guys got a bit of increase with Arcane shot with the patch notes.  I know i know it is weak cause SP scaling but on a short as hell fight, why not burn the mana on it?   Especially when you guys finally get T2.5 set, that фекал rocks in open world pvp, kite people, arcane shot. 

Edited by Undertanker

Least you guys got a bit of increase with Arcane shot with the patch notes.  I know i know it is weak cause SP scaling but on a short as hell fight, why not burn the mana on it?

Maybe because Arcane Shot shares CD with Aimed Shot?

Edited by wingpuller

We are not talking about end game though, we're talking about BWl/MC which is the current patch atm, and hunters can pull some big deeps.. Just know how to keep your pet alive throw some jujus on yourself and pet , pretty much full buffs on yourself and pet... correct spec , correct rotation and you can pull some big numbers

Edited by Wardz