Megan

Prefered Healer in Vanilla?

Whats your preferred healer? Even if you don't play it what healer do you prefer to have heal you? I'm just curious because I can't decide what I want to play. :c 

I love resto druid and priest, but priest can get boring pretty quickly for me as well as holy pally. I do enjoy resto shaman as well.

Edited by Megan

My char is priest. Been at it for 11 years. Got 570 /days on the main and 140 ~ /days across the other 5.

Also played Resto druid and Resto shaman as alts.

Will be a priest here aswell :D

Edited by Shayss

Well, i only play a tank and my hommie who play's with me on every server changes it up. Honestly for BC Druids the best in the world Vanilla it's a hard choice between  priest or pally, kings is great when you're a tank and ret aura. but ugh a skilled priest... Just you can't die, being able to tank 2h and laugh everyone in the face is to damn good when you're not overgeared.

There is no single "best" healer, they all excel at different things.

Priest is the most versatile, having good ST heals, shields, and a decent HoT, but they're not too good at raid healing; often getting sniped by Flash-spamming Paladins.

Paladins have their lovely buffs, but healing-wise, you're just spamming Flash of Light nonstop. Good raid healing, because of Flash of Light being fast and cheap. You almost never run out of mana. They're better suited to cancelcasting big heals on the tank.

Shamans, no real idea. Never played horde in vanilla. I've heard they're great raid healers with Chain Heal though, and totems are always nice.

Druids, again, I don't know much about them because I've never played one in vanilla. From what I'm told, they're basically just there to throw some HoTs, brez the baddies, and innervate the Priests. They're not preferred in 5mans though, because they do not have a normal rez.

I play priest but.. yah in vanilla priest is the strongest (HPS). Druid is needed for the battle rez.

~ Faith ~

Priest is the most versatile, having good ST heals, shields, and a decent HoT, but they're not too good at raid healing; often getting sniped by Flash-spamming Paladins.

Paladins have their lovely buffs, but healing-wise, you're just spamming Flash of Light nonstop. Good raid healing, because of Flash of Light being fast and cheap. You almost never run out of mana. They're better suited to cancelcasting big heals on the tank.

Shamans, no real idea. Never played horde in vanilla. I've heard they're great raid healers with Chain Heal though, and totems are always nice.

Druids, again, I don't know much about them because I've never played one in vanilla. From what I'm told, they're basically just there to throw some HoTs, brez the baddies, and innervate the Priests. They're not preferred in 5mans though, because they do not have a normal rez.

I swear druids have a normal rez, isn't is called Revive? Rebirth is there battle rez.

I had two 60s priests back in vanilla.  Since my previous main was a hunter, as a priest it felt like I was being treated like a god.  I got into UBRS easily at level 58, easily got into any group, barely had to work during raids unless I wanted to.  Also it seems like priests are in shorter supply on alliance, and horde especially, on the new server.  At level 40 shadow form is amazing.

The only downside is that on alliance it's almost mandatory to roll dwarf.  Unless you plan on not pvping much, and don't care about getting a guaranteed early raid spot as human.

I like the fuzzy feeling of totems. This doesn't mean my Healer must be a Shaman, but I'm always excited when one is in my group - also Ankh is real good for wipe recovery. Now if one of your DPS is a Shaman too? Oohh yeah more totems! And if I'm on my Warrior my best friend is Windfury, so if you know that guy and bring him out I'm bound to love you.

Most of my time played has been on Horde, but when I did try Alliance as a Paladin I was amazed by how dauntless they are at keeping their group protected and buffed through judgements and blessings while also putting out top notch heals inside an immunity bubble. Judgements are great, and no other class has a stun quite as strong as HoJ that you can toss out on any big beefy melee or for interrupting casters. I feel Paladin and Shaman have the highest potential for versatility outside of healing - both giving amazing +dmg buffs to their groups, interrupts with HoJ/Earthshock, plus also having wonderful group mana regen in their Blessings/Totems. They both are wipe protection with Bubble/Lay on Hands/Sac/Ankh.

But all that said, I leveled a Priest later on and fell in love with the ability to sit outside the 5 second rule by using big heals topped off with a Renew and then Wanding. And while leveling with Spirit Tap, you blast through instances when you learn how to snipe death kills and never run close to OOM while dealing damage and healing. Fortitude is a big increase to slightly undergeared folks health pool too, and can be the difference sometimes in a tough fight when adds are pulled and people accidentally grab aggro; and then there's Fear that can be the most effective way that any Healer has to remove damage from the group since it's AoE and removes all damage from the group allowing kiting/CC to be established. It makes the Priest, along with Mind Control, to give the most ability out of any healer to remove a threat from the group. Have a PvP god-team you can't kill? MC/Fear that Healer and burst down the squishiest target, then kill the Healer as you Fear off the DPS. Same thing with if there's an add group, they have that panic button to press to be able to break everything up off your team to let you get things in order and establish distance/snares on the mobs.

For Druids.. um I like it when a HoT is on my Warrior and i Charge, leaving a trail of green leafy shinies in my wake. Also Thorns is decent for AoE threat gain. I haven't spent much time playing with Druids since there are not many usually. I really like Druid healers in PvP since a good one can be so slippery and impossible to kill if they play right and kite effectively.

Edited by Xom

Wasnt asking for a "Best" healer, I was asking about what preferred healer people liked to use and why.

wrong :P ive played druid aloooot and ur not even supposed to use rejuvenation in high tier raiding almost, just spam HT as heal, only use rejuv on MT ofc

Edited by mythak70

they're basically just there to throw some HoTs, brez the baddies, and innervate the Priests. They're not preferred in 5mans though, because they do not have a normal rez.

A skilled speed running 5 man group with benefit most from a druid due to heals on the run, and insane mana rejen and use innervates on the dps.

ur not even supposed to use rejuvenation in high tier raiding almost, just spam HT as heal, only use rejuv on MT ofc

Rejuv should also be used on your raid for known incoming raid damage.  Low rank regrowth, high rank rejuv.

Druid is needed for the battle rez.

~ Faith ~

Druid has highest skill cap due to slower heals, but doesn't mean they are bad.   Here are a couple of the fights that remained on realmplayers from Nost on my alt and some of them I go against BiS healers and I never set foot in BWL with him and didn't have Jindo's Hexxer or DMC: Bluedragon for them.

Onxyia: http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/RaidOverview.aspx?Raid=37319

ZG:  http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/RaidOverview.aspx?Raid=37723

Rag: http://realmplayers.com/RaidStats/FightOverview.aspx?Raid=37426&Fight=11   (what I was referring to with putting heals over time on raid prior to known raid damage)  With very little overhealing.

If you like playing a druid, play a druid.  Pre-cast your slow heal, and use hots.  Swift Med to counter burst damage.

Whats your preferred healer? Even if you don't play it what healer do you prefer to have heal you? I'm just curious because I can't decide what I want to play. :c 

I love resto druid and priest, but priest can get boring pretty quickly for me as well as holy pally. I do enjoy resto shaman as well.

I personally prefer druids because their HoT's combined with the efficient lower ranked HT make it hard to overheal. Plus battle res and innervate.

I personally prefer druids because their HoT's combined with the efficient lower ranked HT make it hard to overheal. Plus battle res and innervate.

This is a good point. "Overhealing". It's very important to NOT overheal. I was a very good Priest healer in Vanilla and BC because I didn't OOM like all the other priests in my guild due to "overhealing". :) :) :)

It's not that important to not overheal due to talents like Inspiration and Ancestral Healing. Don't know if Paladin and Druid have armor-increasing-on-heal-crit talents, but yeah. Obviously, if your % overheal takes big part or it's more than your % efficient healing, you should fix that. Doesn't hurt to overheal here and there.

And my prefered healers are Priest and Druid since they have the strongest heals, HoTs, utilities.

Priest. Every raid needs druids and pally/shaman though. I prefer priests. They tend to be more dedicated (because it is harder to farm gold lol).

Depends if pvp pve. Druid is preferred for pvp due to survivability and escapism plus a touch of utility. For pve, paladin preferred for ease and buffs plus res