Sign in to follow this  
firkraag

hit rating

About Hit. It all depends on your top DPSers. If they push you on threat, you wear more hit + use more DPS consums. If you're at 8% hit and they are still pushing you on threat, get more crit with impale spec. There's no golden gear set perfect for all situations. Some guilds have spikey healers and need tanks with Lifegiving Gem on, so itemization changes around that. Some guilds have good healers and you need less defensive mitigation gear. Don't believe anyone when they say "This is the best item set for tank/threat/etc.". Use your own judgement for your own guild's requirement. I have an Optimal Tanking Sheet that is customized just for me, I don't advertise it as "optimal" for everyone, but for me. Take what others say with a grain of salt and play as you need.

Regarding enchants, I personally put anything 2.00 speed or below with +15 agi.

This is a good comment , specs/gear vary from raid to raid.

Until aq40 gear there's really no catch all setup . That being said I'd think 6pc wrath, gauntlets of might, wristguards of true flight, satyrs bow, accuria, don Julio's, rune of the guard captain/dft would be fairly strong for a lot of content.

The big thing will be making your tanks go deep as вау on consumes and world buffs.

That how Paladins used to be ;)

In Retail back in 2005/6 you would see very often Guilds donating Consumes for Tanks.

/Kind regards Killerduki

Edited by killerduki

If you need threat and aren't using a weapon without racial bonuses then i would suggest you use edge masters as when you go from 300 to 307 you effectively gain 3.2% hit plus a reduction in the glancing blows penalty.

When using a weapon with your racial skill then with  rage changes whether normal hit gear or edge masters is better will depend on  how often you use heroic strike as going from 305 to 312 Weapon skill gives only .7% hit and only normal attacks can glance which HS replaces

Amount of threat you need and therefore hit is entirely dependent on whether your dps need to hold back.

Does the +hit gained from the formula change from going from 300 weapon skill to 305 weapon affect yellow attacks?

In addition if those skills don't "use" said weapon (shield slam, shield bash, pummel)?

Forgive me if I am repeating myself. 

And special attacks always use 1H hit rating, so if your duel weilding the hitcap is still 8.6 for specials?

The +hit change is very minimal when you add 5 weapon skill, I want to say 5 weapon skill is worth around .2% hit. The +% to hit effects all attacks that result in  yellow dmg from your skillset, so that includes shield slam, shield bash, and pummel.

Special attacks have the same miss changes regardless if you are using 2her, DW, or 1h + shield. So if you have +9% you are yellow hit capped no matter what spec.

This 8.6% is the same for warriors, rogues, and hunters.

I use the same philosophy regarding what to enchant my weapon with. After testing with both Crusader and 15agi on my Quel'Serrar along with some basic math I found the approximate break-even point to be around 2.0 speed aswell so I always go Crusader on 2.0 and slower, or 15agi and/or Lifestealing on 1.9 and faster. Currently I'm using:

Quel'Serrar - Crusader

Broodlords Defender - 15agi

Alcor's Sunrazor - Lifestealing

Ironfoe - Lifestealing (due to the nature of its proc).