Sign in to follow this  
MacinJosh

Do I really want to play on a PvP server?

Most of my WoW career I've played on a PvE server. I like the idea of a PvP server but my experience has been negative in those times that I've played in one. The reason is that I suck at it. I never dueled or practiced or anything. I have rage issues when I suck and get ganked. But still I like the idea of wPvP where I can smash faces.

My mind is set on a Paladin for nostalgic reasons. It was my first toon when this all began. My first 60. I know of Paladins limitations end-game. I never raided prior to LFR and was fine with it. I tanked 5-mans as a Paladin in Vanilla. Had the full Deathbone set. Was fun. I loved BGs, especially AV.

Should I just forget PvP servers? I love the idea of a fresh start but the PvE server is pretty fresh. Will I be able to advance in PvP rank on a PvE server? What would you guys do?

I started on the pve server when it was new-born, the "fresh" hype screwed with my head and I really regret doing that mistake, no thrill from traveling the world, nothing, just fine and dandy peoples killing their quest mobs happily and smiling at each other

Lol, I got an anxiety attack watching that. Yeah...looks like I'll be on the PvE server. Am I right in assuming the population will be less toxic as well?

If you need These Sense of danger and if u r worried bg's could suck, than PvP-Server is for u. Also it is more lukely to ve more populated which is good for PvP guys.

Happy to see that self absorbed turd nugget get demolished.

Sometime you can PvP rank more effectively on PvE server, but usually as horde.  For whatever reason, I had a lot more kills on PvE server than PvP in BGs and with a smaller pool.  I ran into  massive bottleneck around r9.  But it was pretty much the same for me as ally.

Edited by Ellipsea

This was/is also my concern. If there would be a fresh PvE realm, I would probably start on this one.

Played also on retail mostly on a PvE realm, BUTI also had a lvl 80 on a PvP server and never had problems with beeing ganked. I died from time to time, sure, but not that often. And if someone wont let me go fishing I just logged on one of my alts.

Actualy ... beeing killed while fishing was the only problem :D

Once you are done with leveling it's not the big deal any more. You will be in dungeons, raids or BGs most of the time.

After all, playing on a PvP server is not that different as  you might  think. There are some hot spots (like Tarren Mill) which might be exhausting, but overall, it is ok.

AND(!)
it also improves the sense of community within your faction

Edited by Wirago

Fresh pvp server is gonna be a mess. Pvp will be literlly everywhere and it will be brutal. So if you're about pve mainly,  90% it will be a great letdown for you. And with such big server cap it will be World of WARcraft Prepare to die edition for sure. =)

Edited by SikSan

I would highly prefer getting ganked and die every 20 min than a PVE server, IMO.

Tried it once, nothing seem more wrong than an opposite faction player with blue name and waving at you.

People love Vanilla for the open-world experience, being a tiny and insignificant soldier of the Alliance/Horde, in a world full of dangers.

Slow levelling, slow and no-flyings mounts, classes imbalance and the particular "moins tu dors, plus t'es fort" grinding gear Vanilla philosophy contributes to that.

But nothing is more immersive than this special PVP insecurity feeling you get, at first step out of town.

My two big loves being making opposite players arch-nemesis (you know, this guy you meet and fight to death during all your 1 to 60 time) and the huge paranoid feeling Rogues provides, wich more than often don't let you scratch your masculines attributes during killing a regular mob.

PVP servers are generally fine. You will get harassed / ganked from time to time but most of the time theres nothing to worry about.

For instance on Nostalrius, from levels 1-35 the only time I ever found it an issue was when I was levelling in Redridge Mountains and there was a huge group of Horde who camped there for hours on end one day, killing every quest giver and every single little Alliance player every time they spawned. Was super annoying and meant I effectively couldn't play that day. But eh it's not the end of the world. In contrast when you're someones equal it can be a lot of fun.

People love Vanilla for the open-world experience, being a tiny and insignificant soldier of the Alliance/Horde, in a world full of dangers.

=3 Ganking is magic. I always wonder why so many ppl keep forgetting what "warcraft" actually  means.

Edited by SikSan

I didn't find ganking or endlessly camping to be particularly compellng game play or in any way immersive.  Quite the opposite.  I did develop some honest-felt animosity towards some opposite faction players when we were undertaking competitive tasks.  Particularly herb collecting in plaguelands.  Man there was some hard feelings for sure that made the game feel very real and very dangerous.

Corpse running from far away GYs over and over makes the game boring, dull, and listless.

Some of the best parts about vanilla was the world pvp and on nost it was alive and well. If you really don't want to get ganked, corpse camped and have to run for your corpse all the time then the PvE server is there.

PvP server on nost was really fun, until the draw distance made it somewhat unenjoyable.

Played also on retail mostly on a PvE realm, BUTI also had a lvl 80 on a PvP server and never had problems with beeing ganked. I died from time to time, sure, but not that often. And if someone wont let me go fishing I just logged on one of my alts.

Once you are done with leveling it's not the big deal any more. You will be in dungeons, raids or BGs most of the time.

You can't really compare those 2 scenarios though. Apart from the fact that retail didn't even have close to this number of players, there were also no central hubs that everyone had to go pass through (dungeon entrances (SM building, SFK bridge, DM entrance to name a few), raid entrances (Blackrock Mountain...)) and people had flying mounts (which were the biggest killers of world PvP, even some Blizzard officials have shared their opinion regarding that mistake).

Either way, if you think you're going to have a peaceful live once you hit level 60, you're wrong. Welcome to the (real) PvP environment.

Edited by Athena

You can't really compare those 2 scenarios though. Apart from the fact that retail didn't even have close to this number of players, there were also no central hubs that everyone had to go pass through (dungeon entrances (SM building, SFK bridge, DM entrance to name a few), raid entrances (Blackrock Mountain...)) and people had flying mounts (which were the biggest killers of world PvP, even some Blizzard officials have shared their opinion regarding that mistake).

Either way, if you think you're going to have a peaceful live once you hit level 60, you're wrong. Welcome to the (real) PvP environment.

Ah... yes... forgot about the effect of flying mounts on world PvP. That makes life harder on PvP realms :D

It's very good that we can have an honest and constructive dialog like this about that which is a sensitive topic to many.  it bodes very well for our forthcoming community. : )

Edited by Ellipsea

Most of my WoW career I've played on a PvE server. I like the idea of a PvP server but my experience has been negative in those times that I've played in one. The reason is that I suck at it. I never dueled or practiced or anything. I have rage issues when I suck and get ganked. But still I like the idea of wPvP where I can smash faces.

My mind is set on a Paladin for nostalgic reasons. It was my first toon when this all began. My first 60. I know of Paladins limitations end-game. I never raided prior to LFR and was fine with it. I tanked 5-mans as a Paladin in Vanilla. Had the full Deathbone set. Was fun. I loved BGs, especially AV.

Should I just forget PvP servers? I love the idea of a fresh start but the PvE server is pretty fresh. Will I be able to advance in PvP rank on a PvE server? What would you guys do?

The charm in world pop is that you don't play fair.

If it's not enough to take someone down yourself, get your friends and other players, and use your numbers to crush them.

LOL

Edited by caoyang

I'm getting ready to roll with a guild on the new PvP server, and I have no illusions about what I'm getting into.  I usually play as a carebear farmer, but I've played on pvp servers before, and I expect this one to be much more pvp-ish than before.  But I know what I'm getting into, it's fine.  I'll be running from graveyards a lot and getting roflstomped by people with gear and skill and a thirst for tauren blood, and that's just fine.

As a previous poster said, I'll take the dangerous, vibrant world over the safe, sterile one.  To Xibalba!

The ganking will be worse on the new pvp server than the old.  Either way ganking will occur so you'll have to level on the pve server, if you want to avoid gank fest.

Hello. Thanks for the interesting topic - by reading through everyone's comments, it helped me to choose where to stay for myself.

I had doubts, because of the announced release timing, but I'm choosing you - Elysium realm!

Most likely I'll be rolling a Warrior (A).

I tend to not rush the game (quest/lore lover) and I venture into a new zone already with some levels above and decent gear.
Plus, I'm not that good in PvP either, so this is like bonus protection for me.

Thinking about it... it just gives me the chills/excitement when you meet your opposing faction and have a stare-down - Will either of us attack each other, or will we just pretend that we're blind and just walk by.

Warrior is hands-down the most hardcore choice you could get for an opening realm of this envergure.

Check the Warrior's Beginners post I recently writed in the according forum.

It's very good that we can have an honest and constructive dialog like this about that which is a sensitive topic to many.  it bodes very well for our forthcoming community. : )

Though for every thoughtful and respectful post, there's at least 2 or 3 people pointing and screaming "CAREBEAR! CAREBEAR!" at anyone who doesn't like PvP servers, sadly.

I'm confused, what are the names of the two restored realms?

IIRC, they're going to be just relaunching as Nostalrius and Nostalrius PvE.

And the new fresh PvP realm is going to be called Elysium. 

Edited by gotmilk0112