Edwin Van Queef

Is it too late to start on the old PvP Server?

On a different note, Im really grateful for this topic. You guys have made me really looking forward to rolling a fresh character on Nost PvP realm, even though at first I was pretty sure the new Elysium realm is the place to go. I'm pretty positive people like me will be able to catch up in no time and hope the server will maintain a healthy several thousand population. 

On a different note, Im really grateful for this topic. You guys have made me really looking forward to rolling a fresh character on Nost PvP realm, even though at first I was pretty sure the new Elysium realm is the place to go. I'm pretty positive people like me will be able to catch up in no time and hope the server will maintain a healthy several thousand population. 

It´s not "hard" to catch up to BWL standards. There will for sure be tons of MC alt runs that will take pugs every week, Ony is pretty much a sure kill for T2 head/misc. AQ won´t be out for a while and the War Effort takes its time (not sure about this one tho, regarding to the huge pop that is on Nost). 

I am myself leveling my 52 warrior to 60 to enjoy on Nost PvP, as I deleted my Paladin a few weeks before shut-down in a "3am-I-have-to-try-something-new-Jack-Daniels-fueled" rage considering I have been playing the same class since retail Vanilla, so I deleted that $hit and started a warrior. 

edit: sure, leveling takes its time. but have fun being crowded by 12 year old retail fuccbois and alexensual fanboys on the fresh realm. 

Edited by Njut

I'm personally joining the PvE server because they're further behind on content and with my lack of social life I'll probably be able to catch up.

PVP servers: World-of-Warcraft

PVE servers: World-of-/wavecraft

:) 

It will be fine, Nostalrius had hundreds of players leveling at the same time right up until it shut down.

If you like to pvp against full t2/rank 14 people while you are in blues then go old nostalrius if you would rather die every few minutes being trampled by an endless crowd of people leveling in the same zone go fresh server

FYP, mate :)

I'm pretty sure leveling in the old realms will be tens times faster and getting tier gear from raids much easier when playing with guys who don't roll against you for every single epic that drops.  

But hey, its all about the journey and dying is ok! Valar Morghulis, after all ;)

Edited by ValarMorghulis

If you like to pvp against full t2/rank 14 people while you are in blues then go old nostalrius if not go fresh server

You do know less than half the player-base was 60.   Also only what, 104 R14 (something close to that) 52 on each faction out of 130,000 players?  A lot of them do it for the gear and are so burnt out on BGs by that point they don't just spam BGs even more.  Some do, but majority don't.  They get to finally causally pvp with their gear.

Edited by Undertanker

FYP, mate :)

I'm pretty sure leveling in the old realms will be tens times faster and getting tier gear from raids much easier when playing with guys who don't roll against you for every single epic that drops.  

But hey, its all about the journey and dying is ok! Valar Morghulis, after all ;)

But world pvp is fun? Getting killed by players of your own level is no big deal, since you can fight back.

Also, running through content with other players who also need to do the exact same content is fun. I find little enjoyment being the green-geared guy, begging a guild to run you through strat live or MC. It's not all about the loot.

Flamebreak read the post above your fabricated version of how the server is. Not even half the server of active players is 60. Many guilds were just starting MC, not done BWL, others half through BWL.

Edited by Undertanker

But world pvp is fun? Getting killed by players of your own level is no big deal, since you can fight back.

Also, running through content with other players who also need to do the exact same content is fun. I find little enjoyment being the green-geared guy, begging a guild to run you through strat live or MC. It's not all about the loot.

Your statement seems a bit contradictory to me, do you find little enjoyment being in greens or you think it's not about the loot? Personally, I find farming MC, BRD, DM etc (for the 100th time) even less entertaining, and this is what happens when there are 10 people rolling for every single item. It's not about the loot, sure, but you need it to help your guild with the upcoming content or in pvp.   

Which brings me to my next point. I do find wpvp (and pvp in general) extremely fun and entertaining. Just saying that first weeks (or possibly months) of Elysium will be horrible. Not fun at all, even if you LOVE pvp as much as I do. I'm quite confident that in contested zones you will spend more time running to your corpse than fighting back. Not fun at all, unless you have a different view on that.  

lol it'll be funny once people on the fresh server get to STVietnam and say "I've made a huge mistake" lol

Granted it's a mess on every server, but imagine thousands of people 30-40 swarming that zone, it'll be a clusterscrew.

It's never too late, especially if your end-game is to hope to play on a really good TBC realm, albeit that is years away. I know im mainly waiting for TBC to roll on through the PvE server, I dont care if it takes 4 years lol. Ill use this time wisely to prepare haha.

You do know less than half the player-base was 60.   Also only what, 104 R14 (something close to that) 52 on each faction out of 130,000 players?  A lot of them do it for the gear and are so burnt out on BGs by that point they don't just spam BGs even more.  Some do, but majority don't.  They get to finally causally pvp with their gear.

Most R14 alliance warriors just swung their yellow dicks in ZG making it impossible to hold aggro off them : /.

Your statement seems a bit contradictory to me, do you find little enjoyment being in greens or you think it's not about the loot? Personally, I find farming MC, BRD, DM etc (for the 100th time) even less entertaining, and this is what happens when there are 10 people rolling for every single item. It's not about the loot, sure, but you need it to help your guild with the upcoming content or in pvp.   

Which brings me to my next point. I do find wpvp (and pvp in general) extremely fun and entertaining. Just saying that first weeks (or possibly months) of Elysium will be horrible. Not fun at all, even if you LOVE pvp as much as I do. I'm quite confident that in contested zones you will spend more time running to your corpse than fighting back. Not fun at all, unless you have a different view on that.  

What I meant was I find little enjoyment in being carried through the dungeons, even if you do get free loot since nobody else needs it. I like progressing through the content with other players, who need to do the same content as I do, whether it'd be levelling, 5-mans or raids. I enjoy vanilla as a whole, not just the latest raid.

And I don't think levelling will be as bad as you think. I played on K2 when it had upwards of 8k players, all level 1-40, and wpvp didn't slow me down needlessly much. Instead I had many fun moments in various places, fighting both quest mobs and players in a party. You'd also be surprised how many players of opposing factions just completely ignore each other.

Do you really imagine tens of thousands of players in one realm? Even provided the hardware could handle that, this would be literally unplayable. Questing would take forever, not only because of the struggle for quest mobs but also due to omnipresent wpvp. Even though the population factor has always been one of the top priorities for me, we wouldn't be able to enjoy that, trust me. 

Well the nost pvp is going to be packed by new characters too given that it will be released first, so whether you roll nost or fresh based on the questing experience, there might be no diference.

From personal experience, the drag is lvl 1 to 10 in which you are cornered in your starting zone, but you simply group up and do your quests. After that the lvl 10 zones are much bigger. Consider how big barrens is, and how many different spots to kill the quest objectives you have. Honestly, while it is obviously going to be a little slower than in a dead server, the key is grouping up for quest, which is actually the system that they had in mind when they created the game.

As for getting ganked, you will get ganked in both pvp realms. Sure in the fresh pvp you will get ganked more often by people of your similar level which you can fight back. And in the old nost you will get ganked often by people of your similar level, given that there will also be a lot of people questing, along with a few bored 60's who usually camp and invade newby spots like lakeshire, menethil harbor, etc. Trust me, there are a lot of bored 60 pvpers with nothing to do, happened to me in original nost. So...ganking too will occur in both server.

Truth is, that both your concerns will happen in both realms.

As for progression, what's been said is rather true. It is highly possible to gear up fast is you have a good guild that runs 5-mans often, and takes new players and alts into MC/ZG runs. You can probably gear from greens to blue/epics in 2 or 3 months, though not every raid you attend will have loot for you, which is still pretty fast. Now... if you don't get a good progressive guild, and you have to go with a guild with a bad system or solely through pugs, it can take a few more months.

The advantage of old nost pvp is clear however, the economy: it will be much easier to get some of the crafted items, at a lower prices (because there are more available). So if you focus on making gold while you level (or have a 60 benefactor) you can speed up your gearing by buying the crafted items.

As for the fresh, you will gear slowly, but everyone else will be on the same gear progression as you.

Edited by Dralek

If its about the lvling experience, all dungeons were occupied 24/7, even when you are lvl 60, you arent guaranteed to have a raid geared person in your group unless you run DM tribute or strat living, something that is done on a daily basis for buffs/gold.

If you want to do everything from scratch, the fresh server is the obvious choice, but if you want to make gold faster and not progress through all of mc and bwl again, you can catch up in no time if you are a good player and apply to a decent guild.

As for the worldpvp events on fresh servers... I guess we will all join these, even if not everyone lvls all the way to 60 :D. I hope those kind of lvl 20 raids happen on both launches, old and new.

Haha there is so much truth in this! remember getting rank 14 back in my high school days and getting burned-out for 6 months after i got it. Good times. Good times. lol 

I'm actually still on the fence. Right now, it's the first time I'll be playing on a private server anywhere. I played Vanilla Retail all those years back and got up to mid Naxx, and I loved every bit of it. But I don't know, if I want to join on the old PvP server, have a bunch of fun while leveling and get ready to enter AQ40 as it releases, or if I want to go through the whole progression again on the new fresh server.

If anything, the PvE server is at a great spot, which I would like to join on. And although I've played on other PvE servers before, I want to relive Vanilla's open world PvP which I heavily miss.

So it's a tad confusing for me right now. Economy, I'm a bit mixed on. Since the prices of items on the old servers may have stabilized, but may also be incredibly sky high. And I somewhat want to go through MC and BWL normally again (though I heard MC was a push over now. To be fair, it was a push over back in Vanilla retail, just we weren't that good at the time.)

Economy, I'm a bit mixed on. Since the prices of items on the old servers may have stabilized, but may also be incredibly sky high.

Compared to a completely new server, they are obviously quite high, since every week, mobs are killed, raids are cleared, quests are completed, items are vendored so every week more and more gold is added to the game, in comparison, only little gold is spend on vendors, repairs, respecc, auction house fees, riding skills and so on. But prices being at a certain point doesnt really change much, the more inflated the server is, the cheaper the mounts and respecc costs are, since their price is static, the money you make increases with inflation. The stuff is more expensive but the things you farm and sell are more expensive aswell.

On a new server its the same thing, the only difference is that the auction house is rather useless the first few weeks, since nobody really buys a lot.

For exemple: Some people in my guild used to farm black lotus and sell them for 5-10g each to afford their epic mouint. I sold them a few months later for around 50g each, took me a lot less effort :). The prices obviously went up further after that, since everyone has more gold.

Edited by Aslan

Compared to a completely new server, they are obviously quite high, since every week, mobs are killed, raids are cleared, quests are completed, items are vendored so every week more and more gold is added to the game, in comparison, only little gold is spend on vendors, repairs, respecc, auction house fees, riding skills and so on. But prices being at a certain point doesnt really change much, the more inflated the server is, the cheaper the mounts and respecc costs are, since their price is static, the money you make increases with inflation. The stuff is more expensive but the things you farm and sell are more expensive aswell.

On a new server its the same thing, the only difference is that the auction house is rather useless the first few weeks, since nobody really buys a lot.

For exemple: Some people in my guild used to farm black lotus and sell them for 5-10g each to afford their epic mouint. I sold them a few months later for around 50g each, took me a lot less effort :). The prices obviously went up further after that, since everyone has more gold.

That makes a lot of sense. A question then, how long will it take for BWL to open? I enjoy MC, not sure if I want to just grind it for 5+ months, I heard it was really quite easy on Nost back when it first came out. I would most definitely' like to get into BWL onwards quickly.

lol it'll be funny once people on the fresh server get to STVietnam and say "I've made a huge mistake" lol

Granted it's a mess on every server, but imagine thousands of people 30-40 swarming that zone, it'll be a clusterscrew.

This is one of the things I'm most looking forward to. STV on the new server is going to be beautiful chaos :mad:

It was like 7 months on the old PvP server, maybe a week less or so, BWL has been out for quite some time, AQ40 is still far in the future, since AQ20 and the war effort will come first. On the PvE server, BWL was going to be released a week after shutdown or something among those lines. I wouldnt expect it to release right away when the servers launch, usually there are urgent unexpected things to deal with when launching a project. On the fresh server it might be less than the 7 months we had to wait on the old PvP server, nothing is confirmed yet, but I doubt they would cut it more than 2 months shorter if they cut it at all, which would make it a 5 months of mc farm at best (minus the time you spend lvling and farming).

In vanilla, all content is current content, ZG has bis items and enchants for a long time, even in future conent, everyone needs the reputation, MC drops BiS items for furies, rogues, some are even endgame BiS and all T2 pants drop in MC. BWL will also have endgame bis items for many classes.

It will be easy obviously, if you want to have a guild that has no clue what its doing and is undergeared, you can have that for a few weeks on the new server. At least the gear part, guilds will gear up pretty fast, guilds with skill issues you can always find on any server :).

I dont know how the situation will be on the old server, but when it was shut down there were guilds in all progression states, even some that just started MC. I guess there will be more than enough new lvlers on the old server aswell, so newly progressing guilds wont be hard to find, but thats just my guess.

Edited by Aslan