TheRealJindo

A real priest guide v2, wish to hear your comments and thoughts.

A Short Overview

• Introduction

• The Healing Psyche
• Race Choice
• Talenting
• A Gear Setup
• Enchanting Your Gear
• Consumables
• World Buffs
• Professions
• Your add-ons/UI
• Introduction to your healing spells I (and other useful spells for a priest healer)
• Introduction to your healing spells II (taken every spell individually)
• Introduction to your healing spells III (the last chapter)
• FAQ
• The Finale!

INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone,

I have decided to revise this guide into v2 to make it fit for Elysium & Nostalrius as I have recently come to the realization that many (high-end) players still use/have read my priest guide from 3-4 years ago. That priest guide is simply outdated (both in respect to my current healing knowledge and server scriptwise). In this priest guide I will add a few new chapters, but I will also clean up the guide a bit from jargon. Nevertheless, it will remain quite dense and packed, and therefore I would suggest you, the reader, to use those chapters you see as helpful to improve your play style. I must warn you, though, this guide is not made for casuals (read: those who don’t care to tryhard/perform during raids). That should not be a problem, generally speaking, though, as most of those players who read guides are not casual in that sense. Let’s get into it shall we?

Jindo,

Officer of Praise the Sun

THE HEALING PSYCHE

This will be by far the most important chapter in this guide: how to think as a healer. Before you can get to race choices, gearing choices and all that, it’s best to know what to pick for which server. This is key for a healer as many servers are following the ‘as close as possible to blizzlike’ route. If they do take this route, then raids are not buffed significantly or at all. In turn, this means simply one thing: the raid damage taken is simply way lower than it should be for you to min-max certain aspects of your healing (talents, race, professions, gearing etc.). As such, each server requires a different mindset. I will list a few options here:

Server scripting:

Unbuffed servers: Nostalrius, Kronos and Elysium belong to this category. Damage taken is simply not that high. This has impact on the following:

Healer count:  take fewer healers in your raid. This still varies depending on whether you’re horde (you need at least 6 shamans for tranq/wf totems L, my advice is a total of 11 healers: 6 shamans, 3 priests and 2 druids, unless you take enh/ele shamans then you can take more priests in it) or alliance (just 4 paladins for blessings needed, so you can take fewer healers than horde in your raid: 4 paladins, 2 druids and 4-5 priests). The reason you don’t generally want to go lower than this is because certain parts of the raid instance will still have high AoE damage (BWL+ and Majordomo speedkill). My advice for the priests on alliance: 2 (renew) raid healers, 1 8/8 t2 tankhealer and 1 optimized tank healer, for horde 1 (renew) raid healer, 1 8/8 t2 tankhealer and 2 optimized tank healers. For questions regarding what this means, post a comment.

Race choice: take PVP-oriented races for it will be a bigger challenge for you to enter the raid with your world buffs up than it will be for you to heal the raid up. For horde Berserking will be practically useless because bosses barely do any damage and thus you don’t need the lower casting speed for burst healing, and thus your choice should be undead. For alliance, dwarf is the go-to-choice either way so no problems here.

Talenting: apart from progression (when you want to take the safe route), you want to go for PI spec here because it will boost your casters’ DPS. Moreover, on Nost the respect costs will be high so PI spec is also nice to keep for PVP ranking and DME farming purposes. 

Gearing: this remains the same for unbuffed servers.

Buffed servers: Feenix C’thun and Naxx, Scriptcraft belong to this category. Damage done by raid encounters is buffed on this content, making it more challenging, longer encounters and more healing intensive. I will not go too deep into it, but safe to say you need to focus on PVE purposes in race, gearing, Talenting and healer count (12-14 healers are preferred here until you are comfortable with the raid instance).

Mindset

To get in the right healing mindset you need to analyze incoming damage and damage taken by your raid members. It isn’t as simple as just checking this, though. Look at the following factors:

Gear Level: check their gear levels (for max HP, resistances, armor etc.). Classes with higher survival (generally warlocks, warriors, hunters etc.) are second priority when everyone in the raid is taking AoE damage for they have a higher survival to soak the damage with. Your priority should be on those that can get killed above those that generate the most healing done. This varies on your healing style: renew priests generally take targets with lower hp deficits as it is their job to heal targets up to full hp, while other healers with direct healing spells should prevent players from dying (for an explanation see “Assignments & Trust” below).

Classes: warlocks life tap, prot warriors tank, fury warriors taunt for /sit enrage proc and higher threat generation. Such classes generally require more healing throughout the raid. It is easy to see which of them take more damage than others throughout the raid (and at what parts of the raid they take this higher damage). Note that using a meter add-on (SWStats, DPSmate) can help you here by analyzing damage taken and healing taken, as well as death counter.

Positioning: standing in AoE, taking cleave damage etc.. People standing in front of corehounds take more damage; melees take more damage for many npcs do their AoE damage within 30 yards and thus casters are outside their AoE range. Try to predict damage taken by positioning of players.

NPC/BOSS: it is also important to check what npc you are fighting (for example, lava annihilators in MC will only do single target damage, while firewalkers will burst your raid members down, and dogs/fireguards will AoE the raid if your tanks are фекал). Prioritize your healing accordingly.

Positioning

Your own positioning should always be top-notch. The reason this is important is because you can minimize walking during raid encounters (and thereby do more healing/be more reliable as a healer). For this you simply need to have an eye on your tanks for ideally there would be a warrior in between the npc you are fighting (even during CC encounters like Garr) and you: they can taunt the npc away from you. This is a big deal because I have often assigned healers to certain targets and they failed to keep them alive because they suck at positioning and have to walk instead of healing. A perfect example of this: this week I was raiding BWL and raiders overagrod the Wyrmguards, most healers had to reposition which caused tanks to go to 10% hp, but by proper positioning I managed to keep my movement to a minimum and keep my tank up properly.

Assignments & Trust:

If you want to min-max your healing squad (for healers cannot be seen as just the sum of its parts, they must be taken as a whole), then you need to be able to rely on them. This means following your assignments. Although it is often advised to help certain people with their assignments when their targets are consistently low hp and they haven’t indicated they can handle it, you should generally leave this up to your raid leader/healing leader to assign more healers to this target (in a proper guild that is, if your leadership is clueless about healing then you will have to improvise yourself). Stealing healing from someone else’s assignment can cause a domino-effect as they start healing other targets for their target is consistently full hp. What’s the problem? Without a dedicated tank healer every pleb healer in your guild will switch over, consistently, to the target that requires the most healing. If the tank is bursted down within this time (I had it happen at Lethon recently), then the tank will die. If your guild is фекал, then yeah, you will be forced to heal other assignments (for they either don’t adapt their healing assignments when healers indicate they are insufficient or they don’t have healing assignments at all).

If you do this correctly, though, your whole healing squad will do less overhealing, safe more mana, have less downtime and the raid clears the content faster and more smoothly (more smoothly because you have more mana left as a whole for OH фекал situations).

A point of consideration: making 2 healing groups (each consisting of 5 healers) if your healers’ gear level is low and require frequent mana breaks). Rotate between them to decrease raid downtime (with drinking).

RACE CHOICE

Human:
1. The Human Spirit: 5% increased spirit.
2. Sword & Mace Specialization: +5 skill to swords and maces.
3. Diplomacy: +10% more reputation gain.
4. Perception (20 sec duration, stealth detect increased dramatically. 3 min CD).
Priest special skills:
1. Desperate Prayer (instant heal oneself for 1324 to 1563, no mana cost. 42.86% coef. 10 min CD).
2. Feedback (15 sec duration , -105 mana burn/dmg per enemy spell cast on you, 580 mana cost. 3 min CD).
Dwarf:
1. Stoneform (10% armor increase + immunity of poison/disease, 8 sec duration. 3 min CD).
2. Gun Specialization: +5 skill to guns.
3. Frost Resistance: +10 resistance to frost.
4. Find Treasure: searching ability to find treasures.
Priest special skills:
1. Desperate Prayer (instant heal oneself for 1324 to 1563, no mana cost. 42.86% coef. 10 min CD).
2. Fear Ward (10 min duration, 1x fear immune. 100 mana cost. 30 sec CD).
Night Elf:
1. Shadowmeld (instant hide ability, while not in combat).
2. Quickness: +1% dodge.
3. Wisp Spirit: +50% move speed while dead.
4. Nature Resistance: +10 resistant to nature.
Priest special skills:
1. Starshards (936 arcane dmg over 6 sec duration. Gradual dmg increase (15% 2x, 20% 2x, 30% 1x). 350 mana cost. 171.43% coef. No CD).
2. Elune’s Grace (15 sec duration, reduces ranged dmg by 95 and +10% dodge chance. 240 mana cost. 5 min CD).
Troll:
1. Berserking (10 sec duration, 10-30% increased attack speed depending on HP. 3 min CD).
2. Regeneration: +10% increased health regen and 10% health regen in combat.
3. Beast Slaying: +5% damage increased to beasts.
4. Bow & Throwing Specialization: +5 skill to bow and throwing weapons.
Priest special skills
1. Shadowguard (10 min duration, 3 charges of 116 dmg, 250 mana cost. 100% coef. No CD).
2. Hex of Weakness (2 min duration, -20 physical dmg and -20% healing. 240 mana cost. No CD).
Undead:
1. Will of the Forsaken: immunity to fear, charm and sleep for 5 seconds).
2. Cannibalize: 8 sec duration, 4x 7% health restore every 2 seconds while eating corpse).
3. Underwater Breathing: 300% longer breath.
4. Shadow Resistance: + 10 resistant to shadow.
Priest special skills:
1. Devouring plague (24 sec duration, 904 shadow dmg + healing. 985 mana cost. 80% coef. 3 min CD).
2. Touch of Weakness (2 min duration, -20 physical dmg curse on getting hit + 64 shadow dmg. 195 mana cost. 100% coef. No CD).

More info can we found here: http://www.wow-one.com/forum/topic/14308-priest-racial-abilities/"]http://www.wow-one.com/forum/topic/14308-priest-racial-abilities/

Looking at these stats, it is obvious which races to choose in PVE:
Alliance: this is pretty self-explanatory (PVP/PVE choices don’t matter):

Dwarf FIRST – because you have 1) each 30 seconds fear immune, 2) high self-heal, 3) 10 frost resist (good for Naxx) and 4) Stoneform. The other choices would be ridiculous since:

Human SECOND – got 5% spirit and mana burn ability instead of Fear Ward + Stoneform (human is arguably better when you assume you are never getting engaged with world buffs while going to BRM/AQ/NAXX for during fear fights you can usually outrage it and you only require 2 dwarf priests for fear ward uptime on tanks during fear fights).

Night Elf THIRD – self-explanatory.
Horde: Horde is a little bit trickier as it is situational on what you want to choose:

Troll PVE FIRST: you got Berserking and Shadowguard (this helps in boss dps when you got aoe dmg going on, but it hurts your warlocks if it removes their shadow bolt procs before being reapplied). Troll is for PVE only first if you are using Berserking actively and properly.

Undead PVP FIRST: the undead just have PVP abilities. However, considering you want to get with world buffs to the raid having a WotF is very nice to have (it also helps in PVE if you suck at positioning during fear bosses).

TALENTING

Picking the right talents for a priest isn’t always that easy. The fact that we priests got a lot of useful talents makes it harder to pick the best ones. Below I will describe which talents you definitely need and which can be skipped. This is a raiding spec of course. These descriptions are useful if you disagree with my talent choices, but you can skip them if you don’t see them as important for you.

Discipline:

5/5 Unbreakable Will – this talent is taken because holy priests are not famous for wanding bosses down, and having these resists makes healing easier with AoE fears ect. This talent, however, is bad if you’re horde and your tank doesn’t know how to stance dance (or any warrior for that matter) on fights like Ony, Nef, Magmadar etc. for the boss will run to the raid and you get a wipe. On alliance fear war should always be up on the tank and MT healer and this talent is ALWAYS taken.
0/5 Wand Specialization – this talent is useless for holy priests because you don’t use your wand during fights (only @ viscidus if raid is topped, but he takes barely any wand damage anyway).
0/5 Silent Resolve – this talent is as useless as it can get. Your tanks should be able to hold agro by now so speccing into silent resolve is the same as speccing no talent at all. Besides, you got fade and LIP.
2/2 Improved Power Word: Fortitude – it’s obvious to take this talent, because the +-200 more health it gives for 40 members is a total of 8k, making a big difference in survival.
3/3 Improved Power Word: Shield – it’s just nice to have this talent because for bosses in Naxx for when the tank is low hp, this can be a lifesaver. Also, the other options like reduced threat or 1 more point in martyrdom is kind of useless because you only get hit by lots of adds, and they will crit you quite a lot, so 1 point in that talent will be enough.
1/2 Martyrdom – this is because of fights where you got adds on you, you still can heal very well. For example, Anub'Rekhan, Onyxia or Ouro.
1/1 Inner Focus – this talent is useful just because of 1 free spell at its max rank (i.e. holy nova, prayer of healing, max rank flash/greater heal). Use this for staying out of the 5-second rule longer.
3/3 Meditation – this talent is obviously the best talent in the discipline tree, just because it will give you mana regenerate = more heals = more healing done = less people dying.
0/3 Improved Inner Fire – this talent is very useful for raiding, however you don’t have the points to put any in this talent and therefore it will remain unused (survivalability = armor increase). In PI specs, this is a must-have talent for it gives you more armor (= more chance to survive in world pvp encounters with world buffs up and also in raids).
5/5 Mental Agility – this talent is chosen because when you need to dispel/cast Power word: shield/buffs/renews it reduces the mana cost = more heals ect. And the alternatives are bad talents for PVE.
0/2 Improved Mana Burn – this talent is not useful for PVE, just because hunters can mana burn quick enough with their viper sting without losing much dps, if priests/locks do it, we lose too much dps/potential healing and speccing this talent is therefore uncalled.
1/1 Divine Spirit – this talent can be taken by all priests, but in my opinion having 1 priest specced in this talent and the rest not is better, because the 1 guy can buff all with this talent and then you can spend one more talent in the holy tree = win win. Thing is, for that to happen you need to have a reliable priest to do so (especially so with high respect costs, so this is not worth it if you don’t have that).
5/5 Mental Strength – this talent is used for priests to farm Dire Maul East with, PVP PI spec and PVE PI spec (unless you are having trouble healing dungeons, in which case an increased mana pool would help a lot).
0/5 Force of Will – this talent is kind of useless unless you fight against C’thun/other encounters which require almost 0 healing. You don’t have to have this for DME grinding, either (although it helps).
1/1 Power Infusion – this talent isn’t picked for the same reasons we don’t take force of will, however this one does do healing increased. But still it will reduce your healing overall by 10% and 25% less healing/damage of the spirit. Kind of wasted in this respect. But the same counts for this as force of will, it’s very useful for C’thun. This talent is only taken for Farm raids to speed up the clearing time or when you have high respect costs (and you need to farm gold as well etc.). For non-buffed content it is arguably better altogether than full holy for non-renew healers as they benefit little from the holy talents considering damage taken.

Holy:

2/2 Healing Focus – this is just because it’s nice to have your casting time not interrupted by single npcs attacking you or AoE damage (otherwise you got martyrdom for 100% less casting time reduced).
3/3 Improved Renew – CHANGED. I have changed my stance on this talent. It’s generally very good for healers that use Renew frequently (raid-healing priests). Tank healers should not take this talent if your tank is rage-capped all the time (for survivalability is better than to take 5% extra holy crit). NOTE: with the newly changed rage-mechanics taking extra holy crit is still the go-to talent, but your tank should ban armor buffs with VCB to maximize his rage (among other things). NOTE: renew raid healing sucks without a good deal of healing bonus. I would put the threshold at at least 700 to make optimal use of it.

1/5 Holy Specialization – this talent is very useful because of the fact that it makes inspiration proc more, and when inspiration is on the tank, he takes WAY less damage. Also it increases the healing done and sometimes saves tanks from dying. PROBLEM: on unbuffed servers tanks never die or take real spiky damage, and thus inspiration is less of a use. Also, with world buffs up you got 18% more spell crit so this talent becomes less useful than its alternatives. It is good, though, for progression/tank healers.
0/5 Spell Warding – I don’t pick this talent because, even if it’s OP, I don’t have the talent points to take it. However it’s very useful @ C’thun or other bosses which only use spells/world PVP if you are struggling on them.
5/5 Divine Fury – this talent is speaking for itself, it releases the divine fury of healing upon your target, causing him to take faster heals. Very useful in any healing spec and the best talent of the holy tree.
1/1 Holy Nova – this talent is useful for it’s a must-have for world PVP encounters, it’s also nice to kill adds with when they got very low hp and you don’t have to heal. Only downside of this talent is that it costs tons of mana. But just 1 talent spent so gogogogo!
0/3 Blessed recovery – this talent is not taken because there’s a really low chance that you get crit for high numbers (1k+) in a raid environment for tanks need to pick up ads that do a lot of damage. Moreover, crits which do almost 0 damage won’t recover enough hp.
3/3 Inspiration – as stated before you need this talent to make the tank take less damage, it’s a 100% needed talent for when the tank is ragecapped! Very useful in combination with Inner Focus! PROBLEM: if your tank is not ragecapped, then this talent hurts your raid as it reduces his rage gain (depending on the rage formula) and thus reduces threat per second, which means your dps can do less dps and the fight lasts longer (unless your tank uses VCB properly).
3/3 Improved Healing – as the talent says, its IMPROVING your HEALING, so take this to make your spells cost less mana = more healing = less damage down put @ your raid = saving lives.
2/2 Holy Reach – this talent is simply taken for world PVP purposes. It is really useful there, but also for DME farming.
0/2 Searing Light – this talent is only used for holy dps; since we are healers we won’t use it. Yet again it’s a very useful talent for C’thun if you are struggling on him.
0/2 Improved Prayer of Healing – this talent is 100% useless since you will only be using prayer of healing with inner focus or barely at all (some at Lord Kazzak and Lethon I suppose, but even then it sucks to take considering the alternatives).
0/1 spirit of redemption – this is the talent the priests would pick if you are not specced into divine spirit (so all priests but 1) because when you die, healing without mana cost nor getting damage for 10 seconds ROCKS. One could argue that you could swap one talent point out of spiritual guidance into this one, but it's just a preference (for in farm raids you should NEVER die, and if you die you should feel how much it hurts the raid so you never make that mistake again!). Overall you will have more profit from spiritual guidance than from this one. It is all situational. In progression raids I would swap 1 of SG to here (as you don’t want to go PI as progression is about safety first for most guilds).
5/5 Spiritual Guidance (only if more than 500 HB & 250 Spirit buffed) – since spirit is one of the main assets of a priest, this talent is highly recommended. Not only has it increased the damage done by your spells, but also the healing done and that just for 5 talents.
5/5 spiritual healing (only if more than 500 HB) – this increases base healing done by 10 %, so I’d take this 100% if I were geared as indicated.
0/1 Light Well – this talent is useless because at most fights, people that need healing take damage and damage dispels light well. Moreover, other spells like renew can do healing better. It is nice to pop pre-fight and drink up, but remember people need to hug the light well to click it and gain its benefits, thus it will reduce damage done by casters/melee.

Shadow:

0/5 Spirit Tap – speccing into this talent would be for PVP/DME farming (and here it’s not a requirement).

0/1 Silence – this talent might be taken for PVP purposes, or very specific PVE purposes. Generally it is not worth taking.

Other shadow talents should not be considered in PVE when you’re holy.

Leveling:

For leveling purposes I will spec accordingly: first 5x wand spec, then 5x spirit tap + 2x improved SWP. Next you take 2 points in holy to take healing focus. Then back to discipline take 2x improved power word: fortitude, 2x martyrdom and 1x improved PWS. Take inner focus and mediation. The rest can be put in holy (personal preference). You don’t need more in shadow as you will never use these shadow talents during leveling (unless you want mind flay for PVP purposes I guess). At 40 you respec full shadow and from there on out it’s pretty self-explanatory.

I will now link a few talent trees to show you how a good priest spec may look like:

Renew/spirit spec:
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#bxMusV0oZfotcf0qL Progression raids with +500 healing bonus.
Power Infusion spec (PVE):
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#bxMGsAVoofotcf Farm instances/Speed runs/below 500 healing bonus progression raids/DME spec while raiding as well with it.

Power Infusion spec (PVP):

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#bxMGsIioofothf

Silence Spec/Shadow Weaving (Situational):

http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#bZfotcf0qLVbgz0t

A GEAR SETUP

As a priest your gearing varies a lot depending on what other gear you already have and how the raids are scripted. I will list stat priorities below for the gear setup. I will refer to a brief explanation how your gear choices might be impacted by content listed above at the “The Healing Psyche” chapter.

NOTE: some guides got some factor like MEP or HEP, but these ones are really useless because it changes with your stats. Knowing that you need these stats.

Below 500 Healing Bonus

When you have below 500 healing bonus you want to take the following stat priorities:

Intellect>mp5s>spirit>healing bonus>stamina>spell crit>armor.
The reason you want to prioritize intellect over healing power is because downranking is simply not worth it. The mana it saves doesn’t outweigh the extra mana you gain my staying out of the 5 second rule. Having a high maximum amount of mana also helps you do more total healing for you can cast more spells (while your spells are still minimally impacted by healing bonus). It must be noted that this takes into account that you don’t take Darkmoon Card: Blue Moon for this trinket is literally wasted. For an explanation make a comment below the guide or look at the FAQ. It must also be noted that you don’t have the 3-set t2 bonus yet and thus you only got 15% mana regen while casting (which also makes the mana regen out-of-5-second-rule more efficient.

Above 500 Healing Bonus

When you have above 500 healing bonus you want to take the following stat priorities:
Healing>spirit>mp5s>intellect>Spell Crit>stamina>armor.
The reason healing bonus is more efficient now is because your healing bonus’ scaling starts outweighing out-of-5-second-rule mana regen. Downranking becomes efficient now. It must be noted, though, that while using high ranked healing spells are not that viable anymore, they still have their place if you have your tank spiking from full HP to 10%. You place spirit over mp5s for renew priests as they gain more healing bonus from spirit, while you place mp5s higher as tank healers as your spells cost more mana per healing done and thus are less efficient.

ENCHANTING YOUR GEAR

Enchants are pretty easy to pick as well, you just need to know what is BiS and what is Pre-raid:

Head: ZG> 8 Healing (pure PVE) or 150 mana (PVE&PVP)
Neck: -
Shoulder: Naxx>ZG (Till Naxx)>5 resistances (till ZG, with AD rep)
Back: FR/NR/FrR/Armor (after Silithus opens up)>7 FR (pure PVE) or 5 resistances (PVE&PVP)
Chest: 4 stats
Wrist: 24 healing (don’t waste 4mp5s for pre-500 healing bonus gear)
1h/2h: 55 healing (don’t waste intellect for pre-500 healing bonus gear)
OH: -
Wand: -
Trinket 1: -
Trinket 2: -
Ring 1: -
Ring 2: -
Feet: Minor speed (PVP&PVE) or 5 Spirit (pure PVE)
Legs: ZG> 8 Healing (pure PVE) or 150 mana (PVE&PVP)
Waist: -
Gloves: 30 healing (after AQ)>+riding skill (until AQ)

CONSUMABLES

Now, the most important part of raiding, that only a few people get these days and what was not used back in retail at vanilla, consumables! Some say they can do it without and I bet that is true. However, the fact is that you always perform better with them and therefore it’s better to use them. After having listed all consumables that I use, I will make clear with a total overview of stats how consumables increase your performance. I will list all consumables by the time they last.

The list is here. Beginning with the healing boosting consumables, then the survival consumables, then potions, situational consumables and finally reagents:

Healing-increasing consumables (7x)
- Flask of Distilled Wisdom: 2 hours duration, 2000 mana increase.
- Mageblood Elixir: 1 hour duration, 12mp5s.

- Cerebral Cortex Compound: 1 hour duration, 25 intellect.

- Gizzard Gum: 1 hour duration, 25 spirit.
- Brilliant Mana Oil (Lesser Mana Oil pre-ZG): 30 minutes duration, 5 charges, 25 Healing bonus + 12mp5s/just 8mp5s respectively.
- Kreeg's Stout Beatdown (post-DM): 15 minutes duration, +25 Spirit -5 Intellect.
- Nightfin Soup/12Stam&Spirit food: 10/15 minutes duration food respectively, instant buff/10 seconds seated respectively, 8mp5s/12stam&spirit respectively.

Survivalability consumables (10x):
- Elixir of Fortitude: 1 hour duration, +120 hp.
- Elixir of Superior Defense: 1 hour duration, +450 armor.
- Major Troll’s Blood Potion (Mighty Troll’s Blood Potion pre-ZG): 1 hour duration, +20/12 hp5s respectively.

- Long Juice Cocktail: 1 hour duration, 25 stamina.
- Greater Fire/Nature/Arcane/Frost/Fire/Shadow Protection Potion: 1 hour duration, 1950-3250 dmg absorb of specified spell school.
- Crystal Ward: 30 minutes duration, +200 armor.

- Gift of Arthas: 30 minutes duration, 10 shadow resist (only caster use!).
- Rumsey rum black label: 15 minutes duration, +15 stamina (doesn’t stack with Kreeg’s).

- Juju Chill/Ember: 10 minutes duration, 15 fire/frost resistance respectively.

Potions:
- Major mana potion: instant use, 1300-2250 mana restore. 2 min CD.
- Dark/Demonic Rune: instant use, 900-1500 mana restore, 600-1000 shadow damage taken. 2 min CD.

- Whipper Root Tuber: instant use, 700-900 health restore. 2 Min CD (shares CD with runes).

- Crystal Restore: instant use, 670 healing over 15 seconds on target (stacks with healing power). 3 min CD).

- Magic resistance potion: 3 minutes duration, 50 resistances (doesn’t stack with other class buffs).
- Swiftness potion: 15 seconds duration, 50% speed increase.
- Limited invulnerability potion: 6 seconds duration, invulnerability to physical attacks & drops agro for duration.

- Invisibility Potion: 18 seconds duration, invisibility. 10 min CD (shared among all potions if popped).
- Noggerfogger elixir: variable duration, slow fall. On some servers it reduces the hitbox of the player as well, which makes this consumable a valid choice to reduce AoE damage taken.

- Goblin Sapper Charge: 450-750 instant damage, 375-625 self-damage. 5 min CD

- Crystal Charge: 383-518 instant damage, 1 min CD (higher damage than dense dynamites).

Situational:

- Flask of the Titans: 2 hour duration, 1200 hp.
- Greater arcane elixir: 1 hour duration, 35 spell power.
- Greater shadow elixir:  1 hour duration, 40 shadow spell power.

- Dirge’s Kickin’Chimaerok Chops (post-AQ survivalability: 15 minutes duration, 10 seconds seating, 25 stamina.

Reagents:

- Sacred Candle: required for buffing spirit/stam/shadow prot.

- Light Feather: required for using levitate in BRM/Azuregos cliffs etc.

To make it more comprehensive, here is a screenshot:

HORDE (http://imgur.com/a/RQV8I)

ALLIANCE (http://imgur.com/a/fWYCt)

Do note: this is in general. Some consumables need to be stacked more, or be added (spell dmg pots) for certain bosses.

And now to summarize them up with what they do in combination with why they are useful:

-Healing boosting (consumables used for increasing healing done and making you able to use higher/lower ranked heals situationally)

*Flask of Distilled wisdom – this flask is very useful for the usage of innervate on a target without wasting your mana on overheals, but for the rest its just 1 extra major mana potion on your mana pool). Also, with consistently popping major mana runes/dark runes it allows for 1 more wave of popping them without going oom before it.

*Mageblood elixir – this is very useful to have to keep your mana up during fights.

*Cerebral Cortex Compound – very useful to increase your maximum mana pool and thus gives you the opportunity to pop more major mana potions/dark runes in a fight, also more crit.

*Gizzard Gum – increases healing power and mana regen.
*Brilliant mana oil – this is the best Weapon enchant possible, and I highly recommend it.

*Kreeg's Stout Breakdown – + 25 spirit and -5 intellect, giving you more healing bonus and more mana regen at the cost of a minor portion of intellect.
*Nightfin Soup – giving you some mana regeneration.
*Monster Omelette (or any other 12 stam/spirit food) – giving you a boost in your health, mana regenerate and healing bonus (holy talent).

-Survival Boosting (consumables used for staying alive so you can actually cast heals, because you can’t cast them while dead xD)

*Elixir of Fortitude – an useful consumable to keep your health higher.
*Elixir of Superior Defense – useful for fights with adds to boost your armor.
*Major Troll's Blood Potion/Mighty Troll’s Blood Potion – giving you healing without doing anything!

*Long Juice Cocktail – increases survivalability by increasing health.
*Greater Nature/Shadow/Frost/Arcane/Fire Protection potion – protecting you against the specific damage allowing you to heal more comfortably as you are less worried about your own HP.
*Crystal Ward – useful for boosting your armor, same as elixir of greater defense.

*Gift of Arthas – gives some extra shadow resistance and helps reduce dmg of adds in add fights.

*Rumsey Rum Black Label – useful for boosting your hp=staying alive.

*Juju Chill/Ember – good for world pvp fights/fights that deal fire/frost dmg.

- Potions

*Major Mana Potion – giving you your mana back allowing you to do more healing.
*Dark/Demonic Rune – giving you your mana back at the cost of health allowing you to do more healing.

*Whipper Root Tuber – giving your hp back allowing you to stay alive longer. Very useful when mana is not a consideration!

*Crystal Restore – simply free healing at no mana cost, does high healing as well!

*Magic Resistance Potion – reducing damage taken from magic spells -> very useful to pop pre-fights so the potion CD is gone when you need it for mana potions.
*Swiftness Potion – increasing movement speed so we as priests are also able to KITE!!!!! Also very useful for speed runs.
*Limited Invulnerability Potion – a lifesaver! Pop it when you get agro and tanks are slow on reacting to it.

*Invisibility Potion – very useful for sneaking past alliance raids too stupid to use detect lesser invisibility with their warlocks, or generally good to skip npcs in raids that can’t detect you.
*Noggerfogger Elixir – its slow fall effect is nice in any PVP encounter where you jump off something. It is also useful during Anub’Rekhan. Can also be useful if it reduces hitbox on your server.

*Goblin Sapper Charge/Crystal Charge: simply useful to clear things faster as it has no CD.

-Situational (DPS for increasing your damage done for fights like C’thun, survivalability self-evident)

*Flask of the titans – best consumable for staying alive, highly recommended for progression/pvp.
*Greater Arcane Elixir – increasing damage done by all spells, useful for dpsing.
*Elixir of Shadow Power - increasing shadow damage done, useful for dpsing.

*Dirge's Kickin'Chimaerok Chops – giving you a boost in your health.

Using all these consumables is up to your discretion. However, I recommend using them as much as possible.

Screenshot of how your bag should look like:
TO BE POSTED AT A FUTURE DATE!

WORLD BUFFS

Rallying Cry of the Dragonslayer – 10% spell crit, 5% melee crit and 140 attack power. 2 hours duration.
Spirit of Zandalar – 15% to all stats and 10% to movement speed. 2 hours duration.
Zanza potions – 50 stam/spirit, 20% movespeed or 3% spell reflect. 2 hours duration & persists through death.
Darkmoon Faire buff – 10% to a chosen stat (spirit). 2 hours duration.
Dire Maul Tribute run – 3% spell crit, 15% stamina and 200 AP. 2 hours duration.

Songflower: 5% crit, 15 to all stats. 1 hour duration.
Warchiefs Blessing (horde only) – 10 mp5s, 300 HP and 15% melee haste. 1 hour duration.

Traces of Silithyst: 5% damage (good if it lasts in AQ40/outside Silithus).

Seasonal buffs: buff is extremely overpowered, but varies per season in effect and duration.

OTHER WORLD BUFFS WILL BE ADDED ONCE THEY BECOME AVAILABLE ON NOST FRESH/WHEN I AM NOTIFIED.

PROFESSIONS

Professions?
Yes professions, because they can increase the duration of your raiding with a lot, and not only that, also the quality of the raiding. Some might disagree, but facts do not lie, therefore I will sum up why professions are important for raiding as a priest and which ones you should pick as a priest to have the highest performance possible:

Engineering: This profession is chosen for your own survivalability and increase in raid damage. But why survivalability? Because as a priest the less you have to care about your own health, the less you have to move and thus the more healing output you can get. It also gives increased AoE damage done; Why AoE damage? Because a healer, especially as priest, has a low damage output and engineering can help you with that. If you are being attacked during the walk to a raid instance, there’s a little chance of survival, but using grenades can save your life, so you are earlier inside and we got longer to raid. Also you can help the raid with repair bots, so you don’t have to repair elsewhere. In the raids it’s also useful because you can use your grenades to stun loose trash walking to healers, dps adds down quicker and most of all, save lives (because that is why we roll a healer, because we want to save lives). Engineering is just the profession to have for any situation because it is a lifesaver. In PVP situations you can charge into a raid with rocket helmets and starting holy nova-ing them down, you can MC ppl and much more.

Fishing and cooking: these professions are not that helpful during the raids, but useful for phase one of raiding: getting those consumables. So if you do not know what to do or you are bored, just skill up fishing and cooking, and be amazed how much gold it saves you.

YOUR ADD-ONS/UI

For a healer, your UI and the add-ons you use are crucial to survive during the raids (for both the raid and yourself as individual). It makes the game more fun till you reached a point where you can just put a robot in front of the computer because you’re doing nothing but spamming a bottom anymore. You want your UI to be a clean one, with all the important stuff placed. This UI is hard to find, but I think I managed to make one that fits me. A UI is personal, just as your Key bindings, so therefore you should find your own UI but this might help you to get a general picture of how one should look like.

http://imgur.com/a/vAxTg

Explanation:

You want your view of the raid as unobstructed as possible; therefore we try to pull every single add-on to the lower side of the screen. This makes raiding go easier, because everything you need to see is at the bottom of your screen, so you can both observe the raid and see what to do. I will list the most important add-ons for PVE down here, which still make it a challenge to be on top:

• Sraidframes –Ace2- (I use this one for raidleading purposes. The upside of Sraidframes: it shows last stance use/SW/innervate usage on the nameplates. Luna is better for non-raidleaders though as it shows you hot durations on the frames, resses and pet frames!). My advice: use Luna!
• XRaidStatus (shows you mana of other healers, buffs missing etc. This is really useful as you can estimate how much healing your targets will take depending on remaining mana of other healers. The buffing of the raid is also sped up as you can check who are still missing buffs)

•BearCastBar (incorporates your delay into a cast bar)

•CooldownCount (shows CD on action bar frames of your spells)

•Cooldowns (shows CDs of yourself in a bar (for me above my own character plate and above my target’s character plate))

•Critman (puts a sound when I crit so I know when I proc inspiration on a tank which reduces his damage taken, thus I am aware he needs less healing for the duration)

•Theorycraft (shows damage/healing values on action bars, shows your total stats and allows for theorycrafting)
• SWStats (to stay competitive)
• Xperl (I just like the looks better than the alternatives)
• Decursive (for dispelling faster)
• Classic Snowfall (for reducing delay while casting heals)
• Bigwigs (for the boss abilities ect. It is in the middle of my screen, although not visible)
• Nurfed (for smoothening your game play: it makes mana bars teal on Sraidframes, shows time in chat and more)
• NECB (for the boss abilities/FPS)
• Autosave (to save anytime you get anything new, so you don’t lose items ect.)

I myself don't use forecast or any of such add-ons, as it takes a huge amount of skill out of both healing and healing leading. The same counts for the integrated healing option in Luna which shows healing incoming on targets. In my experience it reduces your ability long-term to predict healing incoming on targets (for people often cancel heals). However, this is a personal experience.

Useful Macros:
Dispel magic on yourself while targeting others. (2x)
/script CastSpellByName("Dispel Magic",1)
/script TargetUnit("player"); CastSpellByName("Dispel Magic"); TargetLastTarget()

Cast renew on targets that do not have renew yet (KEY!):
/script --CastSpellByName("Renew")
/script local b = 1; for j=0,15 do a = UnitBuff("target", j); if (a and string.find(a, "Renew")) then b = nil; break; end; end; if ( then CastSpellByName("Renew"); end;

Cast interrupt macro (hit once for cast, hit twice for interrupt).
/script SpellStopCasting() CastSpellByName("Heal(Rank 3)")

Exit from Shadow Form + Smite. Put you Shadow Form spell in slot *48* or change the macro.
/run if u(48)then a(48)end c(sm)

Mind Flay debuff check - put this macro in slot *31* or change the macro.
/run mfD=0 local i=1 while ud(t,i)do if ud(t,i)==UD1 then mfD=1 end i=i+1 end

Mind Flay. Spamable. If your target does not have Mind Flay or Mana Drain icon on it you will cast Mind Flay. So i think it is useless for BG or raids, just for solo gaming or 5 ppl inst without other shadow priest in party.
/run a(31)if mfD==0 then c(mf)end

Auto sell your gray items in your backpacks (Macro + addon).
/script for bag = 0,4,1 do for slot = 1, GetContainerNumSlots(bag),
1 do local name = GetContainerItemLink(bag,slot); if name and
string.find(name,"ff9d9d9d") then DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Selling "..name);
UseContainerItem(bag,slot) end; end; end

INTRODUCTION TO YOUR HEALING SPELLS I

Flash Heal: 0.429
Power Word Shield: 0.1
Holy Nova: 0.114
Greater Heal & Heal: 0.857
Prayer of Healing: 0.286
Renew: 1

Now that I have introduced you to the coefficients of your healing spells, I will tell you why I introduced you to them.
1. Every time your gear changes or you are able to get a new item piece, you can adjust your stats and see what your spells will heal for now.
2. Doing the math and thinking yourself. Figure out yourself which spell would be more useful to use in each occasion. See how this changes with gear ect.

Now, I will give you a little hop into the right direction: steps to find the right healing spell.
1. First you look at the base healing done of the spell.
2. You look at the healing coefficient of the spell (the higher the coefficient, the more it stacks with gear).
3. You look at how much it gets affected by talents (end of formula).
4. You look at the mana cost and the cast time of the spell (to see when you can use which spell. For example: not a greater heal rank 4 when the target has 10% hp/25% hp).
5. Test things out. See what works best for you.

INTRODUCTION TO HEALING PART 2

I will note every single spell here that I use while I am healing in raid instances. Note that ranks vary greatly depending on the fight length and whether or not it’s a speedrun:

Heal: used for consistent healing. I use these ranks when they do the following healing: 1200-1500-1800. I would advise adjusting/removing ranks based on how much healing bonus you have.
Heal rank 2: usually used for farm instances, when you got a high amount of healing bonus with a decent amount of mp5s too. This is also used by slackers on progression raids to still heal quite a lot, but reduce the amount of consumables they use.
Heal rank 3: this is your main healing spell for consistent healing fights. It costs just enough mana to heal for a whole fight. If you do go near oom before the end of the fight, just go and down rank.
Heal rank 4: this is the heal you will use if your gear is a little higher and you can afford the mana cost.

Greater heal: used for consistent (Naxx+) healing, t2 8/8 proc and burst healing. I use these ranks when they do the following healing: 2000-2400-2800/3200. I would advise adjusting/removing ranks based on how much healing bonus you have.
Greater heal rank 1: used for consistent healing on Naxxramas gear level. Also used for the t2 8/8 set bonus proc. Also used when you have too many healers assigned to MT.
Greater heal rank 3: used for burst healing (mediocre: f.e. Patchwork).
Greater heal rank 5: used for burst healing (massive burst, F.E. Chromaggus/twins/Loatheb).

Flash heal: used for quick heals to prevent layers from dying (mostly trash healing spell). I use these ranks when they do the following healing: 300-600-1000-1400. I would advise adjusting/removing ranks based on how much healing bonus you have.
Flash heal rank 1: used to proc off inspiration (25% armor).
Flash heal rank 2: used to top off life tapping warlocks when there IS NOT a shadow priest in that group AND when there IS NO HoT on them (and you don’t use your hot on them for whatever reason). Also used to put targets into HoT range (where HoTs would heal up the remaining health).
Flash heal rank 4: used to top off damage taken by AoE spells.
Flash heal rank 7: used to quickly burst the MT back to top and big raid healing.

Renew: this is your primary raid healing spell. It is super mana efficient once you gain 850+healing bonus. My advice is that you skip every other stat for this one if you are raid healing to get up to 850 +healing ASAP. You might need to pop more mana potions/runes but it will be worth it for your raid. It is also a nice buffer on tanks. I use these ranks when they do the following healing: 1000-1600+. I would advise adjusting/removing ranks based on how much healing bonus you have.

Rank 3-7: this is your main raid healing spell. It is used as an ultra mana-conversing raid healing spell. You want to use this when the raid is not in danger of dying but requires healing. It is also extremely worthwhile for predicting incoming damage taken on targets (pre-hot them) and for tank healing. Due to its low mana cost it also allows you to use flash heal/PWS more often as you have more spare mana to work with (saving more lives).

Rank 9-10: used to dump mana and as renew if there’s just 1 tank tanking a boss at a time.

Prayer of Healing: used to raid heal.
Prayer of Healing rank 1-5: rank is dependent on the raid damage taken. Only use this spell if your mana permits it. On some fights it’s arguably better to let some targets get a HP deficit of below the max rank’s healing done as you can regen more mana in between PoHs, or you can heal other targets that require more healing at the time.

Holy Nova: used to raid heal quickly and in adds/world pvp situations!
Holy Nova rank 1: used to remove stealth from rogues.

Holy Nova rank 6: used to top off the group directly and smoothly. This is often used to prevent your own over healing, but good positioning is required. It is also a lifesaver when you already used fade and power word: shield and still got agro.

Power word shield rank 10: for damage absorption when targets are about to die within 1 second, and need more healing than Holy Nova can provide.

Dispel mechanics are used at Decursive, should not be explained.

INTRODUCTION TO HEALING PART 3

A few notes forehand:
1. One shall not read this chapter, if they want to find out the best healing spells themselves.
2. This part is based on an opinion, and other players might have others.

Now, let’s begin.

• When you start healing, you will most likely do it while leveling. Depending on the situation, you have to choose between heals. Here are the cases to use which spell:
1. Next hit kills your target -> power word shield.
2. Your target is below 15% ->flash heal.
3. Your target is below 50% ->greater heal.
4. Your target is above 60% ->heal.

NOTE: this varies depending on the maximum HP your target has. Of course your tank will have a higher maximum HP which means you have to change your spell-usage accordingly, same for lower hp targets.
• But, at a given moment, you will become 60, or start doing instances in your pre-raid BiS grind to level 60. You need to know a few things. I will here deal with 2 cases: 1. without healing bonus. 2. with healing bonus.
1. Without healing bonus: it’s quite easy which spells to choose. You always hold to the standards on leveling healing. When you have done that, you got to choose your primary healing spells. You should choose the ones which do the highest HPS spells. The reason for this is that you do not have much mana regen in combat and you need to conserve your mana as good as possible. The only way you can do this properly is by saving as much time casting spells, thus high healing spells are used. You should heal at the last moment possible. Then heal them up to 100% (using a renew when your healing spell that brings the tank to 100% is finished is recommended for staying out of the 5 second rule for even longer) and wait to get back at that moment. Repeat. This is because you got almost no mp5s with pre-instance gear, but you do got spirit (not while casting regen). Note that the shorter amount of time you spend casting spells, the more out of 5 seconds spirit based mana regen you will get. More info about this is the 5-second rule, which everyone knows. My advice is: greater heal rank 4, PoH (rank 4, only when really needed) and power word shield (really good pre-pull) and max rank renew.
2. With 500+ healing bonus: you start down ranking spells. You can now use greater heal rank 3. But for the rest it’s just the same as without healing bonus.
• But then you reach raids, which will make it quite a little harder to heal well. I will divide these bosses/trash in sub cases:

• Bosses (in sub cases)

1. *Burst* – at burst bosses, like Razorgore P2 (when you just began progress) or frenzy bosses like Huhuran/Chromaggus/Gluth you will need a lot of healing at the time of the burst. Some of these bosses, like Chromaggus, can be timed, but some cant (like Razorgore war stomp when randomized). That’s why you will need to heal consistently, and if you can predict the burst use high ranked healing spells.
#healing spells used# – the healing spells you will have to use for these encounters are high ranked heals which heal a lot at the time of the burst, and lower ranked healing spells when the burst is over, provided that you can time when the burst arrives (meaning you will have to use heals with long casting time). For priests these heals are: Heal and Greater heal. If you can time the burst you will have to use Greater heals, but if not, it’s better to heal consistent and use heal rank 3 for example.
2. *Enrage*– at enrage bosses, it will be needed for the healers to save their full mana and CD of mana pot/dark rune for the enrage phase, therefore you will have to use low ranked heals to keep the raid up, and if you can time it well you can even use higher ranks but then compensate it with dark runes/major mana potions. Such fights include: Chromaggus, Nefarian, 1st split Skeram, Huhuran etc.
#Healing spells used# – the healing spells you will use for these encounters are pretty simple, heal rank 2 and greater heal for the enrage phase. And at enrage bosses it’s also nice to time your heals: let’s say 5 holy priests in a raid that means each 0.5 seconds a greater heal. Or each 0.3sec a flash heal (in its best case).
3. *From weak to better* – with this title I mean bosses using for example mortal wounds, or increasing their damage each X seconds/minutes. You do the same as the boss, begin with your low ranked heals and slowly move up to higher ranked heals, if there hops another tank in you begin again from point 0. Examples of such bosses include the Dragons of Nightmare, Firemaw, Kurinaxx, Huhuran etc.
#healing spells used# – from heal rank 1 to greater heal rank 5, depending on how long the boss fight/tank agro time will be. NOTE: Each subsequent stack of mortal wounds increases the effectiveness of your shield as its absorption is not reduced by mortal wounds.
4. *normal bosses* – with this title I mean bosses that deal consistent damage, so the thing you do is also heal consistent. Heal rank 3/4 (greater heal rank 1) is the perfect heal for this. Examples of such bosses include: Vaelastrasz, Ebonroc, most MC bosses etc.
#healing spells used# – you use heal rank 3 on these bosses. Increase rank when your gear increases.
5. *Bosses with adds* – these bosses require a little bit more focus, and that means a good setup and divided healers over the tanks/CC up. There might be time that you will have to use heals to keep the MT alive, in that case you should ask for an innervate. Examples of such bosses include Razorgore P1, Nefarian P1/P3, Golemagg, all MC serpent bosses etc.
#healing spells used# - this is totally dependent on the situation, but I’d go for just the usual heal rank 4. When the time goes by, the fight gets easier healing wise and you will have to use your high ranked heals at the beginning, and move slowly to worse healing spells.
6. *AoE Bosses* – this is the tricky boss fight, when everyone is stacked up and that’s fine, shamans can deal with it (as horde), when not stacked up shamans will also have to deal with it as horde, while at alliance priests will deal with most raid healing via renews, druids via rejuv/regrowth and paladins via flash of light. HOWEVER, when there’s a raid member with low HP, we throw in a flash heal or Power word: shield to save them! Examples of such bosses include Magmadar, Lucifron, Gehennas, Shazzrah, Firemaw etc.
#healing spells used# – flash heals for when targets reach a too low threshold, renew rank 3-7 otherwise and power word shield if they die by next hit.

• Trash

1. *AoE/Burst Trash – since trash has significant low HP, we just use flash heals(rank 2, 4 and 7->I have these @ my numlock digits in a line, so I can easily use these healing spells next to each other and also have the ability to use my normal action bar too) on this trash, its very effective in boosting your healing and keeping your targets alive; HOWEVER, you will not ever want to use pre-casted flash heals on a trash pack just pulled (use a precast greater heal max rank at pull (AND time these so they land when the target you’re healing takes damage -> be prepared to use fade thereafter if needed!)). Renew rank 3-7 is used pre-pull for raid healers on melees so they have an extra pool of HP that can be soaked.
2. *One Target Damage Trash* -Using heal rank 4 for this trash will be enough to keep the MT alive. Trash that does a lot of damage (like Wyrmguards) require greater heals, though.
• Note: when your gear gets better, the ranks of your heals get higher, so when you’re not constantly spamming mana pots/dark runes at the fight and still keep your mana, up the rank of your heals!!!!.

FAQ

How much time did you spend on this?
30 hours + 10 of editing on the original. 10 hours of revision on the updated version.
Why did you take spirit of redemption instead of one more point in holy reach?
1. Mistakes happen in raids, therefore this 10 seconds healing WITHOUT mana cost can save tons of lives (no guild is perfect, and especially at progression raids this talents is more than just a little useful).
2. There are other healers in the raid than just you; it is the job of the healing/class leader to assign people where to stand in the raid so everybody has a chance to get healed.
3. 3 yards range (on your prayer of healing)/1 yard range (on your holy nova) is not enough to compensate with 10 free seconds of healing (FREE HEALING so you will cast the max ranks of greater heal, prayer of healing and flash heal!), in case you are still finding out what strategy to pick ect.
4. I can heal Ouro perfectly clear with just 40 yards range (this is the maximum range of a priest, since holy reach only increases the range for AoE healing spells & holy damage spells).
Why did you make this guide that long?
Actually, the point of a guide is to make the player better, and if possible the best. I'd say, to be able to become the best, you will need as much information as possible. Therefore the guide is long. I forgot to put in the title that this guide is for advanced players, and therefore not viable for every common priest. In the end, most of the players play for loot. And to get loot you need to top the meters as healing priest (which you can only do if you do not die), provided that you heal your assignment and assist others only if required of you! The amount of overhealing should not even matter to your class leader if you are doing the best of your ability in healing your assignment and saving enough mana so you don’t have to drink. It is in fact impossible to know as class leader if the player healed well (even if he has a lot of overhealing) if the class leader does not know what job the priest, in question, performed. Becoming a good priest is about practice, but a lot of time is wasted by doing the same thing over and over again, hence this guide to teach you the best ways.
But, you said that topping the meters is the most important thing, why listen to your CL when you got your own ways of topping the meters?
A class leader should teach everyone to be good at every part of healing (although it is arguably better to assign specific tasks to each priest so they can become master in one, instead of just being good at all). Still, if you are only good at one part, then your class leader is slacking big-time and it would be better for him to quit or be replaced. With the help of this guide they can help their respective class to learn how to heal. If the raid is topping 24/7, then they either do not take damage/there are too many healers in the raid and thus on the raid/you do your job. Notable exception: keeping a solid healing squad in every raid so your progression raids have players already trained and comfortable with healing.
Personal preferences?
Healing is art, but also science. It has been tested what kind of healing is the best. Learning how to renew with all your priests is the ultimate skill, but almost impossible to master! There is no such thing as a preference.
Clearcasting over Power Word Fortitude?
You are supposed to only buff spirit with this spec, there are other priests for the other buff. Clearcasting is used to heal people even when you got aggro, which you will have to do quite a lot at fights with adds (for example Ouro).
Threat reduction over power word fortitude?
See above.
Downranking flash heals is useless, is it not?
Really? How about the trash pulls with goblins. They all throw dynamites. These deal 1k damage in a small area, of which you resist some. My flash heal heals for 1500 damage at rank 7. 1100 at rank 4 and 800 at rank 2. Would i use rank 7 or rank 2? Or would you let this slip into the coincidence that the guy does not die of a rain of fire + dynamite bomb. Not to mention, even if you make one pack with all the max ranked heals, then you have to wait and drink mana instead of chainpulling on and on, making you a slacker (This is just my PoV). Professional raiding is all about clearing the instance as fast and clean as possible, with only max ranks of flash heal this will not be the case.
I would prefer your PI spec over other specs in PVE, is this not better?
Here i will do the math:
If you got PI spec, you do not have: +10% healing, 25% healing/damage of spirit. What you do get is +10% mana (that’s around 900) and PI. PI does 20% increased damage for 15 seconds. 5 priests having this is 100% damage for 15 seconds. When you use consumables enough, you got around 21000 mana on a 6 minute fight (counted all mana pots/regen things up). 900 mana is just 5% then. But with this mana your effective healing stacks more, since this remains 10% (twice as good, even more than twice). Removing one priest will cause a reduced healing of 25% (15%*5=75%). But you get 1k DPS (for 5 minutes instead of for 15 seconds). Easy to see that removing one priest and putting in one dps works out way better. As such, during speed runs it is always better to spec into full holy, unless you are simply practicing. On non-buffed servers PI becomes better during speed runs, though, as boss fights last 20-60 seconds and thus PI uptime becomes more valuable.

Nevertheless, it is very good to spec PI if you use the same people for a speedrun as you do for a normal run (since you still take the dedicated healers as a reward for their dedication, but you do allow them to contribute more to speeding the run up).

THE FINALE!

Final Question: what kind of result does this usage of consumables have for the healing done of your priest squad?
-Well that’s certainly a question that needs an answer, and it’ll be given: I’ve been raiding vanilla for 18 months trying to find the perfect priest squad. I’ve been searching for months but without success till Legend came. We had some recruiting going on as a new guild. In 2 weeks we got 8/9 AQ40 with 15 geared core members including myself. It was time to farm the gear. But I couldn’t give every priest what they wanted since that kind of luck we didn’t get. Therefore I kept recruiting and recruiting and testing out people in molten core while being in the guild. Every time I saw a more promising trial pushing their limits in molten core, I took him to BWL and AQ40 instead of a less performing priest in my squadron. After 2 months I had the perfect priest squad. When Consumed started, and we reached progression again, all these priests did the Best they could and the result was top 5 healing meter full of priests, they almost never died (Exception Assistents with his whorism of perfectionism ^^). This goal is what I am going to accomplish in my other guilds too, getting the perfect priest squad. And for that I don’t have to have a certain rank nor name or reputation, it’s the core of the player that counts. But also the willingness of the Core Raiders to follow these tips to reach their top. There is no excuse for slacking in my priest squadrons, even if it goes perfect that means you’re getting carried and I’d trade that spot for a DPS instead of a slacking getting carried lazy ‘………’.

When I started raiding again on Kronos 2, I did learn a lot of new things and as such it required a newer version of this guide (as mentioned above). I hope you guys had as much use of it as I have had already!

Thanks to: Assistents, Futakomori (left during transition consumed), Chiliterapia, Waswaswas, Jindo and Kernelmode (bzt Spriest EU joined at Consumed, though lacked some dps consumables did bzt dps) and Jindo (as supervising CL while they did they most work themselves).

A special mention: Honcho for making me realize the mindset and healing psyche was a very important part of this guide, hence I added an extra section on this.

Jindo,

Officer of Praise

Edited by TheRealJindo

There's far too much noise in your writing and this is like a personalized anecdote of your own healing experiences. I wouldn't label this as a guide. 

There's far too much noise in your writing and this is like a personalized anecdote of your own healing experiences. I wouldn't label this as a guide. 

That's because it's not made for casuals, I'm sorry it isn't for you but it is telling.

No mention of tailoring for truefaith, which will be far and away BiS for 6 months on the fresh server is a pretty big miss. It's also BiS well into BWL, with only T2 chest being comparable. I'm not sure why you advocate using renew for raid healing. I'm not sure about your guild, but the majority of guilds over 80% of that heal will be wasted. You would be better off throwing a rank3-4 heal or a flash heal gear permitting. Sure there's some fights that come to mind like firemaw, and vael that renew is useful. But in general it's really just turned into overheal.

Advocating imp renew over crit is pretty painful to look at. The renew doesn't scale with gear, it's just a base increase. Meanwhile the crit even if it turns into overhealing procs inspiration for the 25% armor bonus.

There's some good information in your post, but even as a theorycrafting friendly person it's just too much. A lot of your info really is only useful in very late content and that should be emphasized.

Edited by Haestingas

No mention of tailoring for truefaith, which will be far and away BiS for 6 months on the fresh server is a pretty big miss. It's also BiS well into BWL, with only T2 chest being comparable. I'm not sure why you advocate using renew for raid healing. I'm not sure about your guild, but the majority of guilds over 80% of that heal will be wasted. You would be better off throwing a rank3-4 heal or a flash heal gear permitting. Sure there's some fights that come to mind like firemaw, and vael that renew is useful. But in general it's really just turned into overheal.

There is no mention of truefaith because this guide doesn't provide a pre-raid BiS gearlist and the explanation can be read in the guide as well. If you think renew only turns into overhealing, then I'm quite sure you are still very inexperienced or are raiding in a guild bringing 14 healers to MC. Just to counter your possible examples: corehound packs be4 magmadar, magmadar, shazzrah, sulfuron harbinger, golemag, molten giants packs, majordomo, melee healing ragnaros. IT's only the start.

Advocating imp renew over crit is pretty painful to look at. The renew doesn't scale with gear, it's just a base increase. Meanwhile the crit even if it turns into overhealing procs inspiration for the 25% armor bonus.

If you read the whole guide you would see why I chose not to opt for the crit. It's only put as 1/5 there as a basic, if you read the descriptions you can see I do advocate it under specific circumstances. I'm aware that the renew talent doesn't stack with gear, but the alternative is pretty bad if you read my explanation there. 

There's some good information in your post, but even as a theorycrafting friendly person it's just too much. A lot of your info really is only useful in very late content and that should be emphasized.

On the contrary, most information in it is for early content, but as I said in the beginning of the guide: it's not for casual-minded players. If you want to become the best, then this is the guide you need to read. If you don't want to become the best, there's a guide out there that is more casual friendly and that doesn't advocate using renew. 

That's because it's not made for casuals, I'm sorry it isn't for you but it is telling.

Having raided MC, BWL, AQ, and Naxxramas back in vanilla as a priest, my personal opinion is that with the number of addons you're advocating, raid healing actually is pretty casual.  I found it to be a pretty relaxing experience, and drinking heavily during raids didn't impact performance much.  Pay attention, heal your assignments, don't die.  That's pretty much it.  

It's harder to be elite dps than it is to be an elite healer, because while healing is reactive and proactive, it doesn't rely on you hammering through the most min/maxed rotation every possible second of up time. 

The biggest distinguishing factor between good healers and healers that you don't want on your raids is situational awareness, which is a difficult skill to teach to potatoes.  I started in a family friendly guild and we progressed all the way to the end of BWL despite carrying 10 casuals on almost every raid night.  Then I joined a hardcore guild and we progressed pretty deep into Naxx before TBC dropped.  

That's just my personal experience.  

Situational awareness is such a vague and all-encompassing term that you can get away with that, since basically everything a healer does belongs in that category... And situational awareness can be taught in part (npc abilities, damage taken by classes, tactics etc. all contribute to better situational awareness of players). To be an elite dps is just knowing a rotation, there's literally nothing more to it. It's not difficult at all for mages to spam frostbolt, warlocks to spam shadowbolt and shadowburn, rogues to spam sinister strike and slice n dice, warriors to spam bloodthirst, overpower and whirlwind (as main abilities). Healing is all about knowing your raid inside-out, knowing your class and its strengths and weaknesses, and knowing mechanics of fights to a higher extent than dpsers will ever have to. If you believe healing is casual then you probably have never seen some healers pull out numbers twice as high as most other healers. 

On part of your retail experience, it doesn't matter for фекал. There were so many top guilds back in retail that didn't even use a single consumable while fighting naxxramas bosses. Retail vanilla was a very casual experience in comparison to private servers, especially competition-wise.

I've cleared all vanilla content , it isn't hard. You wrote a thesis on healing and look like a retard. 

I've cleared all vanilla content , it isn't hard. You wrote a thesis on healing and look like a retard. 

You proved my point, thanks for the bump, now shall we let the guide be for people that actually want to accomplish more than being carried in raids shall we?

Edited by TheRealJindo

Lol, my guilds in the past have cleared MC in 33 minutes, I've cleared through Cthun with the fastest AQ clear times server wide. I was top 25 healing on all of nost for BWL average healing AS A PRIEST. The last guild I was in had the top priest AND top paladin healer on the entire server, so guess what renew healing was terrible when you are surrounded by non фекал healers. You actually have a profession mention in your wall of text, if you are going to mention professions then you need to mention tailoring jackass. So please oh lord of priests tell me what makes YOU such a source?

Best part about this is you ASKED for feedback, I gave it and you resulted in personal attacks. So put up or shut up jackass. Fact is your guide is poorly structured, and has problems with the content.

Regards,

Varth an actual top healing priest

Edited by Haestingas

In a sole attempt to keep it civil in here I'm going to end our discussion on this note:

1. There were no personal attacks launched against you, and if you perceived it as such then that's on you and how you interpret my wording.
  2. I am asking for feedback, but I assume that people who give it actually do more than skim through the guide and read the explanations I give in there so I don't have to repeat myself continuously.
  3. Clearing MC in 33 minutes might seem like a big feat to you, but if you look at the MC clearing records on nost PVP it really isn't.
  4. Topping average healing on realmplayers is no accurate source, for all I know you could be whoring healing or be assigned to a role that gives you higher HPS than other roles.
  5. Mentioning tailoring is pretty useless if you don't give a gear description (as I haven't), especially considering tailoring is dropped the second truefaith is crafted -.-.
  6. You can read the guide and take up its information, or keep healing your way. If you are under the impression your healing method is better, then stick to your healing method. My reputation stretches across multiple private servers for over 5 years time, and so far I have yet to meet a priest that can outheal me in any healing role available to priests. You might be the first one, and if that would be the case then I concede my point, but I sincerely doubt that would be the case.

Jindo.

Hello Jindo

I'm very glad to come across such a well thought through and well edited guide. I've been reading just about every Priest guide out there I could find since I've been working on my own guide. The guide I'm writing has a slightly different take; I named it "From zero to hero" and the idea is to guide players how to go from leveling up to becoming solid raiding priests. Your guide is way more focused on the very end of content, nothing wrong with that just different ways to approach it. All said and done, this is by far the best guide I have come across. Just for reference I dont have quite as much endgame experience as you, I played Vanilla and TBC quite hardcore, but that was a long time ago and the game (how players play) has changed as we both know, I only raided on Kronos 2 as far as private servers go. We where in at least one Azuregos raid together!

Anyway, feedback:
* I think you left out spirit of zanza?
* Maybe it should be emphasiezed that Major Mana Potion and Demonic Rune does not share cooldown since the doubleuse is so powerful.
* I think the guide could use a part that adresses basic mechanics such as downranking and 5-second rule. Maybe you feel its to much spoonfeeding, but its a guide after all :)
* I kinda think you could take out the detailed listing of racials... god I am so sick of reading these. Most guides 80% of the text is the racials and a BiS list. Just keep the discussion / conclusions.

I'm on call at work, but if time permits I'll post some concrete examples of what I mean about basic mechanics text.

Actually I'm gonna be lazy and just copy paste paragraphs in here :)

Some of this talks about Shamans, try to live with it. What I mean is I think that the guide as a whole would probably be better understood by players who are not bleeding edge if you explain the advanced basics first (and yes you touch on these points, but its somewhat scattered).
---
Advanced basics for healing

+ Healing and Downranking
You’ll probably hear that this is your most important stat and there is some truth to that. The thing that makes +healing so powerful is that it allows you to downrank spells. What this means is that once you get enough +healing rank 1 of Greater Heal will heal for as much as rank 4 of Greater heal without +healing. So you get the same effect, but for a lower cost. The more +healing you get the more you can afford to downrank. This increase of efficiency means that +healing is not just a throughput stat, it is also a longevity-stat.
With this is mind I still dont think that the statement “+healing is your best stat” is the entire truth, especially not while gearing up. You also need some actual pure regen stats in the form of mp5 and spirit. Its hard to completely avoid spirit and mp5, but if you manage to do it your mana will sink like a stone and just not come back. What you should aim for is a sweetspot where you can consistently cast efficient heals without seeing your mana drop drastically. This sweetspothealing is what you’ll use as long as the incoming damage is normal and consistent. A great example would be a Shaman that uses a lower rank of chainheal to keep the raid alive while moving though trash clears. Sometimes you will have to break this sweetspot style and employ cooldowns, maxranks and consumables to keep up during the more intese periods of incoming damage. Catching a break to drink, even if íts not to full mana, also makes a huge difference in the long run.
Annother important aspect of +healing is that spells with a longer casttime benefits more from +healing then spells with a short casttime. So if you are looking for maximum efficiency you should aim to use spells with a longer casttime + ie Greater Heal rather then Flash Heal. Renew is something of an exception to this rule since its ridiculously effective whichever way you look at it.
---

Manaregeneration and the five second rule

When you cast a spell that consumes mana your regen from spirit will cease for 5 seconds. This is yet annother reason to use spells with a long casttime. If you use a spell with a 3 second casttime you can wait for two seconds before you start your next cast and by doing so snag a tick of full spirit regen.
This is a very common way to tankheal, especially for Priests. You start casting a Greater Heal and as its about to finish you cancel it if its not needed. With this method you get the best of both worlds: a lot of regen from spirit but still always a big heal lined up and ready to hit the tank.
Furthermore this can be combined with Inner Focus since it makes your next cast consume no mana. This is especially useful during tough times when all healers a low on mana. You fire up your Inner Focus and keep casting max rank Greater Heal. When you actually release it the tank will get a huge heal with a high crit chance and you still wont break the 5 second rule until you finish your next cast.

OK HOLD ON JUST A SECOND YOU JUST DECRIBED TWO DIFFERENT WAYS OF PLAYING I WANT TO KNOW WHICH ONE IS BIS???!!??!

Yes thats correct, I decribed:
1. “Sweetspot-healing” where you chaincast heals that doesnt run you oom immideatly.
2. “Stop-casting” where you cancel heals to manipulate the 5 second rule.
Which one is the best may depend on your gear, your assignment and the boss you are fighting. For example dualwielding bosses usually provide a “stream” of smaller hits and these may be more optimally countered by Sweetspothealing since its predictable and proccing Insipration (or the shaman version) on the tank gives a good reduction of these consistent smaller hits.
A boss that has big spiky attacks might be better contered by stop-casting since its very important to get him topped off before the next big spike. To be fair such a boss may be tough to soloheal, you may want one healer chaincasting and one healer stopcasting just to be sure - in such a case, sort out which role you’ll perform.

If your gear is oriented around mp5 you will get less benefit from gaming the 5 second rule, that doesnt mean you should never go for it. Usually when you progressraid (or the фекал just hits the fan) resources are scarce and every little bit helps. Also keep in mind that its not just you, if 10 out of 10 healers each manage to get 5-15 spirit ticks it makes a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

---
Spirit vs mp5
Short Version:
Priest go for spirit
Shaman go for mp5
Long version:
If only it where that simple… at least for Priests its not quite that simple, with Shaman its difficult to build a maxed out spirit set with the availiable gear which makes it a bit easier to decide (aka you have no choice).
When you ding 60 and start gearing the normal case is that you come across various random gear with both spirit and mp5. This needs to balanced with some regard to your +healing as well. The thing with Spirit is that it gets remarkably more valuable the more you stack. Your ticks outside of the 5 second rule become better and better as you stack more spirit. However, until you start getting that massive spirit pool you may be better of with some powerful mp5 parts - besides mp5 is always on and you may not always have the opporunity to dodge out of the 5 second rule. Furthermore for Holy Priests they get +healing from talents (25% of spirit). So the long term plan for all Priests should be to go for a heavy spiritgear. This point is further enhanced by certain items: the 3-part T2 which doubles your spirit regen wile casting (from 15% to 30%) and the Darkmoon Trinket that allows 100% spiritregen when it procs.
HOWEVER, before you have these items, be wary of just blindly stacking spirit. Your random blues from 5man instances just might have so little spirit that a few powerful mp5 parts give you more bang for your buck.
Annother big caveat with spirit is dispellfights. Some fight your will spam dispells which makes it impossible to get outside the 5 second rule. Especially wile progressing Molten Core this is relevant, a big part of MC involves spam dispelling and you are simply better off with mp5 during this time. You may even want to sacrifice +healing for mp5 if you cant find the time to heal anyway. Your +500 healing will do NOTHING for you if all you cast is dispell.
I’m not saying you all need to go out and get a full set of mp5 gear, but keep an eye out for good mp5 parts. Dont vendor or disenchant them, they will come in handy.

OK I PROMISE TO STOP SPAMING AFTER THIS ONE.

As I think of it, maybe the best way to go about it would be to make The Ultimate Priest Guide a 2-part thing.
Part one covers mechanics, leveling up and getting into the raiding game.
Part two would cover the bleeding edge optimization, I guess good treshold could be preAQ40 bis (not just gear, but teamsetup and all).

Not to get totally carried away here, but if you ever cba making a revision again I'd be happy to help out / bounce ideas.

8 hours ago, Prettyrad said:

Hello Jindo

I'm very glad to come across such a well thought through and well edited guide. I've been reading just about every Priest guide out there I could find since I've been working on my own guide. The guide I'm writing has a slightly different take; I named it "From zero to hero" and the idea is to guide players how to go from leveling up to becoming solid raiding priests. Your guide is way more focused on the very end of content, nothing wrong with that just different ways to approach it. All said and done, this is by far the best guide I have come across. Just for reference I dont have quite as much endgame experience as you, I played Vanilla and TBC quite hardcore, but that was a long time ago and the game (how players play) has changed as we both know, I only raided on Kronos 2 as far as private servers go. We where in at least one Azuregos raid together!

Anyway, feedback:
* I think you left out spirit of zanza? I put these as "Zanza Potions" because I'm fairly certain you could take 1 of each in your bags and prepop one of them, this gives you more leeway in case of wipes, but also in terms of when the raid might require a different zanza potion to be up (e.g. during speedruns).
* Maybe it should be emphasiezed that Major Mana Potion and Demonic Rune does not share cooldown since the doubleuse is so powerful.I can add this, sounds like valuable insight.
* I think the guide could use a part that adresses basic mechanics such as downranking and 5-second rule. Maybe you feel its to much spoonfeeding, but its a guide after all :) I can add this, it will take some time to be put in, though, as I am currently prepping for Elysium PVP release with my guild.
* I kinda think you could take out the detailed listing of racials... god I am so sick of reading these. Most guides 80% of the text is the racials and a BiS list. Just keep the discussion / conclusions. If more people feel this way I will take it out, but for now suffice it to say that you can skip that part if you as a reader are not interested in it yet. I do agree, most guides are too focused on this part. 

I'm on call at work, but if time permits I'll post some concrete examples of what I mean about basic mechanics text.

Hello Prettyrad, 

Yes, it is correct that this guide is solely focused on end-game raiding for priest. Even beyond that, it is focused on those players that seek to min-max the shit out of their character, their raiding performance and their preparation altogether. I am quite sure that your guide would be a proper replacement of the guide that is currently stickied (props to the guy that made it, it's always nice to see contributions by the community, but it simply has a shitton of misinformation I'm afraid).

My comments will be bolded and underlined in the quotes I took of your text.

Actually I'm gonna be lazy and just copy paste paragraphs in here :)

Some of this talks about Shamans, try to live with it. What I mean is I think that the guide as a whole would probably be better understood by players who are not bleeding edge if you explain the advanced basics first (and yes you touch on these points, but its somewhat scattered).
---
Advanced basics for healing

+ Healing and Downranking
You’ll probably hear that this is your most important stat and there is some truth to that. The thing that makes +healing so powerful is that it allows you to downrank spells. What this means is that once you get enough +healing rank 1 of Greater Heal will heal for as much as rank 4 of Greater heal without +healing. So you get the same effect, but for a lower cost. The more +healing you get the more you can afford to downrank. This increase of efficiency means that +healing is not just a throughput stat, it is also a longevity-stat.
With this is mind I still dont think that the statement “+healing is your best stat” is the entire truth, especially not while gearing up. You also need some actual pure regen stats in the form of mp5 and spirit. Its hard to completely avoid spirit and mp5, but if you manage to do it your mana will sink like a stone and just not come back. What you should aim for is a sweetspot where you can consistently cast efficient heals without seeing your mana drop drastically. This sweetspothealing is what you’ll use as long as the incoming damage is normal and consistent. A great example would be a Shaman that uses a lower rank of chainheal to keep the raid alive while moving though trash clears. Sometimes you will have to break this sweetspot style and employ cooldowns, maxranks and consumables to keep up during the more intese periods of incoming damage. Catching a break to drink, even if íts not to full mana, also makes a huge difference in the long run.
Annother important aspect of +healing is that spells with a longer casttime benefits more from +healing then spells with a short casttime. So if you are looking for maximum efficiency you should aim to use spells with a longer casttime + ie Greater Heal rather then Flash Heal. Renew is something of an exception to this rule since its ridiculously effective whichever way you look at it.
---

Manaregeneration and the five second rule

When you cast a spell that consumes mana your regen from spirit will cease for 5 seconds. This is yet annother reason to use spells with a long casttime. If you use a spell with a 3 second casttime you can wait for two seconds before you start your next cast and by doing so snag a tick of full spirit regen.
This is a very common way to tankheal, especially for Priests. You start casting a Greater Heal and as its about to finish you cancel it if its not needed. With this method you get the best of both worlds: a lot of regen from spirit but still always a big heal lined up and ready to hit the tank.
Furthermore this can be combined with Inner Focus since it makes your next cast consume no mana. This is especially useful during tough times when all healers a low on mana. You fire up your Inner Focus and keep casting max rank Greater Heal. When you actually release it the tank will get a huge heal with a high crit chance and you still wont break the 5 second rule until you finish your next cast.

OK HOLD ON JUST A SECOND YOU JUST DECRIBED TWO DIFFERENT WAYS OF PLAYING I WANT TO KNOW WHICH ONE IS BIS???!!??!

Yes thats correct, I decribed:
1. “Sweetspot-healing” where you chaincast heals that doesnt run you oom immideatly.
2. “Stop-casting” where you cancel heals to manipulate the 5 second rule.
Which one is the best may depend on your gear, your assignment and the boss you are fighting. For example dualwielding bosses usually provide a “stream” of smaller hits and these may be more optimally countered by Sweetspothealing since its predictable and proccing Insipration (or the shaman version) on the tank gives a good reduction of these consistent smaller hits.
A boss that has big spiky attacks might be better contered by stop-casting since its very important to get him topped off before the next big spike. To be fair such a boss may be tough to soloheal, you may want one healer chaincasting and one healer stopcasting just to be sure - in such a case, sort out which role you’ll perform.

If your gear is oriented around mp5 you will get less benefit from gaming the 5 second rule, that doesnt mean you should never go for it. Usually when you progressraid (or the фекал just hits the fan) resources are scarce and every little bit helps. Also keep in mind that its not just you, if 10 out of 10 healers each manage to get 5-15 spirit ticks it makes a huge difference in the grand scheme of things.

---
Spirit vs mp5
Short Version:
Priest go for spirit
Shaman go for mp5
Long version:
If only it where that simple… at least for Priests its not quite that simple, with Shaman its difficult to build a maxed out spirit set with the availiable gear which makes it a bit easier to decide (aka you have no choice).
When you ding 60 and start gearing the normal case is that you come across various random gear with both spirit and mp5. This needs to balanced with some regard to your +healing as well. The thing with Spirit is that it gets remarkably more valuable the more you stack. Your ticks outside of the 5 second rule become better and better as you stack more spirit. However, until you start getting that massive spirit pool you may be better of with some powerful mp5 parts - besides mp5 is always on and you may not always have the opporunity to dodge out of the 5 second rule. Furthermore for Holy Priests they get +healing from talents (25% of spirit). So the long term plan for all Priests should be to go for a heavy spiritgear. This point is further enhanced by certain items: the 3-part T2 which doubles your spirit regen wile casting (from 15% to 30%) and the Darkmoon Trinket that allows 100% spiritregen when it procs.
HOWEVER, before you have these items, be wary of just blindly stacking spirit. Your random blues from 5man instances just might have so little spirit that a few powerful mp5 parts give you more bang for your buck.
Annother big caveat with spirit is dispellfights. Some fight your will spam dispells which makes it impossible to get outside the 5 second rule. Especially wile progressing Molten Core this is relevant, a big part of MC involves spam dispelling and you are simply better off with mp5 during this time. You may even want to sacrifice +healing for mp5 if you cant find the time to heal anyway. Your +500 healing will do NOTHING for you if all you cast is dispell.
I’m not saying you all need to go out and get a full set of mp5 gear, but keep an eye out for good mp5 parts. Dont vendor or disenchant them, they will come in handy.
I do not particularly agree with your assessment of spirit based gear stacking (which I will explain more in depth when the dust has settled from the Elysium PVP release). Apart from that, these are definitely valuable insights for a player who doesn't grasp these basics yet. I must admit that I took for granted that everybody knows what the 5 second rule was, I could edit that in at a later time. Regarding splitting up the guide, I'm not quite sure that's worth it. But in a sense, you could take your guide to be part 1 and this to be part 2, even though there may be some overlap.

Thanks for your reply. I understand that you are busy with Fresh Server planning. I will maybe edit my guide to focus more on getting into the raiding game, even though as you say there will always be overlap. Currently its just a bunch of random google docs living on the hope that Blizz will make legacy servers one day.
But who knows, maybe I'll be struck by divine inspiration one of these days and mash into something proper and postable.
I thought about what I meant and I do think you get it, but just for anyone out there, I think the best way to go about a guide is to
1. Explain the basic mechanic.
2. Explain how you optimize the фекал out of the mechanic.

In such matters it is very important to have an adequate self-esteem, because from this is formed the basis of personality. Inadequate self-esteem leads to either one extreme or the other, which greatly hinders interpersonal communication. I recommend you to read an essay about self-esteem here https://papersowl.com/examples/self-assessment/ , this material helped me a lot and I was able to learn more. In addition, there are a lot of them here and I hope that it will be useful to you too.