Vaulken

So Blizzard still hasn't said anything about Legacy Servers?

Didn't they say they would after Blizzcon? Or do you think they're going to see the longevity of Nostalrius long term? 

"After blizzcon" leaves ALOT of room for interpretation. Lets leave it at that.

They'll probably follow suite of everquest and we'll see legacy one day, but it will be on a new client with new talent trees and be an abomination. It also probably wont happen until they start to really lose money on a noteworthy level.

They'll probably follow suite of everquest and we'll see legacy one day, but it will be on a new client with new talent trees and be an abomination. It also probably wont happen until they start to really lose money on a noteworthy level.

Exactly that, look at the Call of Duty 4 remastered. All they had to do is up the graphics and leave it as the original was. They managed to ruin that, I've heard it's dead on the PC. Activision/Blizzard would find a way to ruin the legacy as well.

Blizzard don't talk about legacy servers or about nostalrius because it is an alarm bell to people that don't realize that they can simply play their game for free.
Want to come play Warcraft the way it should be?
Come play Nostalrius, all you need is to download 13gb and it's free!!

Blizzard won't do фекал about legacy servers.

Here's my best reasons why.

Money.

Blizzard wants you to continue with the "Story" of WoW and keep giving them a monthly payment to play legion and eventually buy their next retexture expansion.

They want to only meet deadlines with new content and add shitty cosmetics to the in game shop which people purchase even though it's a retexture of the same model and amimation of everything else

Vanilla doesn't have an ingame shop, It requires additional servers which will be packed with people who don't want to play their shitty expansion anymore and may possibly require additional staff.

If they ever did announce legacy servers though.
I would have had my fun already over here, and quit the game in favor of my future.

Edited by casperthestoner

Didn't they say they would after Blizzcon? 

Wasn't it the Nostalrius team who said they would do something after Blizzcon if Blizzard failed to address the issue? I don't recall Blizzard stating anything like that. It was more like the Legacy community's wishful thinking enforced by the fact Blizzcon seemed the right time to do so.  

I really doubt they will ever do anything. The game has evolved and cannot bring it back. Even as a separate service, this require so much setup it is not even funny.

I really doubt they will ever do anything. The game has evolved and cannot bring it back. Even as a separate service, this require so much setup it is not even funny.

If a group of 5-10 people can set up and run a private server in their free time, then it should be absolutely no problem for a multi-billion-dollar game dev with 500+ staff.

Blizz even said that they still have the old code from vanilla.

Honestly, I'd gladly pay $15/mo to play on an official vanilla relam, because it'd have perfect scripting, no lag/dcs, no server instability, no bugged abilities, no DDoS, etc.

Edited by gotmilk0112

Honestly, I'd gladly pay $15/mo to play on an official vanilla relam, because it'd have perfect scripting, no lag/dcs, no server instability, no bugged abilities, no DDoS, etc.

I would too pay for this gladly. God, we could have a working version of TBC... One can always dream.

I seriously doubt that they will ever put some real effort into legacy servers, sadly.

Agree, they are just a big cock-tease.

The best bet tbh is just Blizzard leaving Elysium alone, or even allowing the recreation of Vanilla realms if it's purely non profit they would then have grounds to sue if people broke that contract

The best bet tbh is just Blizzard leaving Elysium alone, or even allowing the recreation of Vanilla realms if it's purely non profit they would then have grounds to sue if people broke that contract

The problems with that are:

-unofficial 3rd parties taking business away from Blizzard. Yes, the private servers may be free to play, but each person playing a private server is $15/mo that blizzard isn't getting.

-emulation of the server violates Blizzard's copyright, and if they don't defend it, they can lose the copyright

Which honestly is just more reason for Blizz to get it over with and make vanilla realms.

Edited by gotmilk0112

The problems with that are:

-unofficial 3rd parties taking business away from Blizzard. Yes, the private servers may be free to play, but each person playing a private server is $15/mo that blizzard isn't getting.

-emulation of the server violates Blizzard's copyright, and if they don't defend it, they can lose the copyright

Which honestly is just more reason for Blizz to get it over with and make vanilla realms.

-Blizzard don't do not afford exactly that game, Blizzard afford another game. So people can't pay 15$/mo and play classic. That is their problem.

-Emulation wrote by programmers from 0. Or I'm making mistake?

Blizzard just don't take risks. They can do it easily, but very big amount of people will wish to play it, so they should make numbers of servers for comfortable game. But after several month big amount of people will decide that they really don't like it and it will be waste of time and resources. No one can really say why they don't do it, I guess they too :D

It's likely that they swept it under the rug

The current WoW team is despicable and we shouldn't expect anything from them

Well said, they turn a deaf ear to bulk of the classes that are in dire need of changes (Warlocks, shamans, and a few others) and really only read the mage forums. Been months and not a single blue post on the warlock forums despite many posts there, so naturally the Warlock section has become super salty.

Why would you expect the dev team to pay attention to the idea of Legacy Servers when they are too lazy to INDICATE WITH PROOF that they're paying attention to their own forums?

Blizzard is disconnected from their players and have been rendered obsolete as far as WoW goes.  You couldn't pay me to play any of their games under their current staff. (I guess you could, but no less than $50 an hour).  Let them stay quiet, let them stay FAR FAR away from anything that has to do with classic or legacy servers because they would clearly choke on their greed and mess it up somehow.

Edited by Crowley

Blizzard is disconnected from their players and have been rendered obsolete as far as WoW goes.  You couldn't pay me to play any of their games under their current staff. (I guess you could, but no less than $50 an hour).  Let them stay quiet, let them stay FAR FAR away from anything that has to do with classic or legacy servers because they would clearly choke on their greed and mess it up somehow.

It's sad to see how much Hearthstone and to a lesser extent Overwatch are connected to their communities while doesn't even seem to want to do anything

I seriously doubt that they will ever put some real effort into legacy servers, sadly.

Which is even better for us. And tbh the way Blizz treats their customers (in other games as well as WoW) is abysmal. 

And even iff they ever DO release their Legacy servers (with ingame shops & cosmetics no doubt) I'd still rather stay at a project like Nost, where a handful of volunteers provide us with a blizz-like vanilla experience simply out of their own passion for the game. Whereas Blizz will just see it as another opportunity to milk a dead cow and treat their customers like sheep! Buck Flizzard and their greedy corporate ways. Time to make a stand, as a community. 

If a group of 5-10 people can set up and run a private server in their free time, then it should be absolutely no problem for a multi-billion-dollar game dev with 500+ staff.

It is not that easy. They setup a server and when people complain for various things, fanboys come and say фекал like "it is free what did you expect" etc.

If you give such product, you are expected to have phone/online support, GMs. These need training since most of the people that used to do this job back then are either gone or been promoted.

You then need to fix things. If people start paying, I doubt they will be content with blink that does not work properly some times, old exploits should be fixed and various tools (mind you, tools are the most important thing they develop) should be rewritten. And so many other little things.

Apart from this, I really think that only a small percentage will be willing to pay for this. I know there are people in this forum that love the game and will gladly pay a subscription but how many are we that we post here? 

Blizzard gets more money from in-game store than from subs, as they made sure everyone knew, so they will not consider legacy because they wouldn't be able to sell character boosts and gold and mounts and everything else. 

Nowadays when I think about Blizzard I imagine them all be like that smug creep with greek name.

On the other hand, EQ keeps releasing new expansions and new progressive servers. Apparently that company finds it profitable enough.

Edited by windslav

Blizzard gets more money from in-game store than from subs, as they made sure everyone knew, so they will not consider legacy because they wouldn't be able to sell character boosts and gold and mounts and everything else. 

Nowadays when I think about Blizzard I imagine them all be like that smug creep with greek name.

On the other hand, EQ keeps releasing new expansions and new progressive servers. Apparently that company finds it profitable enough.

U know it has turned to фекал when ваууing Sony makes more efforts than you to please the playerbase

That whole situation makes me mad

Edited by Zealotz

You can't compare private server quality with a professional retail server.

They will never do it, simply because it is not profitable, otherwise we would already have them.