Sign in to follow this  
Quancidillias

Question about future of server

Hi, im planning on leveling a char to 60 but rather slowly as I can only play in my spare time. Did the dev team notify blizzard of the recreation of nostalrius, and were they ok with it? or was it a case of: we'll talk about legacy servers in the future, they never did so they were like were not waiting anymore and made another one and just hope they dont shut it down again? if blizzard is ok with it kinda on the hush hush thats cool and is  good enough for me to keep playing, but if its gunna get shut down again im not sure i want to invest a ton of time into the server. This is one of the best servers ive played on, mainly because of low bugs and high population, and appreciate the dev team trying to bring back wow the way it was meant to be purely with passion. 

Private servers are illegal and Elysium is in no way approved by Blizzard. Nostalrius handed Elysium Project their Database as a statement against Blizzard for not progressing their discussion etc. 

Remember: time spent enjoying is not time wasted, in my opinion.

I've read some interesting opinions on whether private servers are "illegal" or not.  I'm not too sure it's as clear cut as it seems.

But in any event, Elysium is not approved by Blizzard and Blizzard may at some time in the future send a letter to Elysium or the server host to cease and desist - meaning stop what they're doing.

At that time, it's up to the Elysium group and/or the host to decide what to do.  The server host may terminate their service to Elysium, which would require Elysium to find a new host.  Or Elysium may decide to shut down like Nost did, but the Elysium people have said they would ignore any C&D from Blizzard.

Lastly, we should be clear about what kind of "illegal" a private server is.  It's contrary to the terms of the EULA for WoW, it may be a violation of copyright and trademark law, but it certainly isn't a crime.

they dont have blizzards OK, but unlike nostalrius, elysium doesnt care about that. thus, they wont shut the server down in case of a conflict. atleast thats whats being said.