Sign in to follow this  
Ozolz

rank frostbolt?

is there a rule of thumb regarding which frostbolt rank to use? i cant find anything about this

i just got rank 5 but felt it was slow and mana expensive, so started to use rank 4 again and got higher dps...this makes no sense to me

forgot to say, rank 4 is like 50% less mana than rank 5 so where is the incentive to use highest rank possible?

Get the addon theorycraft, type /TC and activate display damage per mana if that what you are aiming for :)

14 minutes ago, Ram said:

Get the addon theorycraft, type /TC and activate display damage per mana if that what you are aiming for :)

thx that helped a lot!

found that :

rank 4 = 1,82 DPM

rank 5 = 1,83 DPM

So considering rank 5 is about 15% longer cast and 65% more mana, rank 4 is the obv choice.

But this is however only valid at the moment, I´m sure the numbers change as I level up but the Damage Per Mana really makes the efficency calculation easy!

You're calculating DPM, which is good for efficiency, but it has nothing to do with DPS. Check how much damage r4 does compared to r5, then divide with the cast time to get the DPS difference. I sincerely doubt a lower rank is better in terms of DPS.

Between mana gems, mana pots, clearcasting, and evocate there is no reason why you should ever have to downrank frostbolt.

For first, if you are student maybe consider to study your math more and play less.

DPS means damage per second. You really need an add on to make a simple division and find what the common sense telling (greater ranks do more damage) ?

So, if you don't trolling and you really can't calculate it lets see:

FB 4: 2.1 sec cast time (with 5/5 Imp FB), 78-87 damage (82.5 mean value), 65 mana

FB5: 2.5 sec cast time (with 5/5 Imp FB), 133-147 damage  (140 mean value), 100 Mana

With no crits at all:

FB4: 39.3 DPS, 1.27DPM

FB5: 56 DPS, 1.4DPM

FB5 has better DPS and DPM.

The only logical reason to use FB 4 is when your target hp is really low and a  FB5 is waste of mana. But even than its better to wand it or use scorch.

In fact you need only FB1 to slow something fast (1 sec cast with Imp FB) and your higher rank FB.

10 hours ago, thiella said:

For first, if you are student maybe consider to study your math more and play less.

DPS means damage per second. You really need an add on to make a simple division and find what the common sense telling (greater ranks do more damage) ?

So, if you don't trolling and you really can't calculate it lets see:

FB 4: 2.1 sec cast time (with 5/5 Imp FB), 78-87 damage (82.5 mean value), 65 mana

FB5: 2.5 sec cast time (with 5/5 Imp FB), 133-147 damage  (140 mean value), 100 Mana

With no crits at all:

FB4: 39.3 DPS, 1.27DPM

FB5: 56 DPS, 1.4DPM

FB5 has better DPS and DPM.

The only logical reason to use FB 4 is when your target hp is really low and a  FB5 is waste of mana. But even than its better to wand it or use scorch.

In fact you need only FB1 to slow something fast (1 sec cast with Imp FB) and your higher rank FB.

who cares about your calculations "witn no crits at all"? Srsly...

20 hours ago, DamirH said:

You're calculating DPM, which is good for efficiency, but it has nothing to do with DPS. Check how much damage r4 does compared to r5, then divide with the cast time to get the DPS difference. I sincerely doubt a lower rank is better in terms of DPS.

well it is, faster casting means more bolts fired and more crits...at my current level there is no fight that lasts long enough to make sense to use max rank

If you are Winter Chill spec, rank 2 till you stack 5 on target, then max rank all the way. If you are not, max rank all the way. In theory you could use rank 1 to force clearcasting procs when oom and mana pot/gem both on cd, but that doesn't really happens.

1 hour ago, Ozolz said:

well it is, faster casting means more bolts fired and more crits...at my current level there is no fight that lasts long enough to make sense to use max rank

why even ask a question if you don't listen to reason?

2 hours ago, Strahl said:

LMAO reason from people that cant read and assume as if i am lvl60, take that reason and shove it

3 hours ago, Ozolz said:

who cares about your calculations "witn no crits at all"? Srsly...

You are really that bad or that kid?

With crits the FB5 DPS and DPM are even more superior from FB4. But you need to know Ice Shards talents points and Piercing Ice talents points to be more precise.

Your posts telling me you have to check yourself about brain damage....

2 hours ago, Strahl said:

+1