Sign in to follow this  
Creselius

Scumbag Hunter

I waited 4h to tame Broken tooth. I see him. Im taming him and he pulls him away from to break the cast and tames it for himself.. If everyone sees Sherwin hunt him down. You see people camping. you see people have priority over you. Use your god damn mind.

Night elf Sherwin on the PVE server you made a huge mistake.

That's horrible. :( Sherwin should be ashamed.

The general policy for taming Broken Tooth back on Nost 1.0's PvP server was to just leave him alone and let everyone hit that tame button. Whoever gets is the winner, because every other time there was fighting BT was one-shot by someone. Not sure how Nost PvE does it, but you don't pull BT away from another hunter just like you don't interrupt a hunter killing a Rhok'delar demon - it's common courtesy.

I personally saw him killed twice by a particular jealous Horde hunter before I got my tame under these circumstances:

Spoiler

QzJ54Kz.jpg

Keep at it! You'll get him!

Thanks man. I wish you the best on your end. But that was a shitty thing to do. I was first. i claimed it.  I had priority. He was just questing around and pulled it for him.

Thats what pisses me off.

Edited by Creselius
Didnt want to post another

It was shitty. BT has a 7.5 hour respawn time (is that the same on Nost PvE?) and is sought after by many, many hunters. You never know what a hunter taming him already had to do to get him - I couldn't make a few spawns because of my own schedule, I had friends helping me and I came on at exactly the right time to show up and tame him. People have things to work around to fit that tame into their time, whether it's waiting forever or waking up in the dead of the night, and it's always highly anticipated. Should have just left it alone.

You said he was just questing, so I assume you were around the same level. Did you not have a similarly powerful Distracting Shot? Couldn't you have pulled it back?

He was lvl 41. i am lvl 37. i was there for hours watching a movie on the second monitor. I just saw him for a second walking around. Also i didnt have the distracting shot trained up thinking i would save gold.

Question: I heard his spawntime was 4h not 7.5. im a tad confused on when to hunt him again. (its kinda late here)

Edited by Creselius

Damn. Well, there you go.

A movie's a good strategy if you plan on camping, I did the same thing before my tame :p

I guess you should just come back and try it again. If you need anything else hunter-related, come drop by my Hunter Macros & Tips thread <3 Maybe there's some resource there that'd be helpful to you in the future.

I was wondering on the name. Now im sure its you. I actually love and use your macros. I have bookmarked your guide (i dont tend to bookmark) I love your work! :D

GL camping someone on PVE. He got the cat. That's probably all he cares about. I don't think he'll care about your thread here.

18 minutes ago, Drain said:

GL camping someone on PVE. He got the cat. That's probably all he cares about. I don't think he'll care about your thread here.

And, in my opinion, nor should he. These realms are a little too populated to be worrying about what some fellow hunter thinks about how you manage to steal the pet that was "his."

If you want to wait around for hours for a pet that every hunter in the game wants, be prepared to do some scummy things to get it, or you'll be making a QQ thread every few hours when someone better than you gets it instead.

9 часов назад, Fisher сказал:

And, in my opinion, nor should he. These realms are a little too populated to be worrying about what some fellow hunter thinks about how you manage to steal the pet that was "his."

If you want to wait around for hours for a pet that every hunter in the game wants, be prepared to do some scummy things to get it, or you'll be making a QQ thread every few hours when someone better than you gets it instead.

Not a cool attitude man.

2 hours ago, Pwnjin said:

Not a cool attitude man.

Seconded. If the PvP server can agree to be civil over demons and Broken Tooth, the PvE server should be able to as well.

How much is the difference between having Broken Tooth and a 1.3s speed cat? Personally i dont really like the look of Broken Tooth and the 1.2s Pets(The Rake looks kinda cool tho) and would really prefer tho take a tiger or maybe even a panther but i don't know if  the damage difference will be noticeable. I mean i kinda want to play MM later on so i would assume pet damage isn't as big and that small attack speed difference won't be a big deal but maybe it actually is.

3 hours ago, Pwnjin said:

Not a cool attitude man.

I don't care. It's no different than sitting around near a quest mob and racing to get the tag so you get credit. If a couple of folks get butthurt and say "that's not cool, man! What a jerk!", so be it. There are so many people on these realms, I don't really care if two or three are mad I "stole" "their" pet from them.

Honestly, I'm just trying to give you some life advice. People will not be honorable about things like rare pets, quest mobs, etc. If you are the nice guy, you will spend much of your time being upset that people didn't do the same. Save yourself the trouble and the time. Employ whatever tactics are necessary to get what you want.

11 minutes ago, Trales said:

How much is the difference between having Broken Tooth and a 1.3s speed cat? Personally i dont really like the look of Broken Tooth and the 1.2s Pets(The Rake looks kinda cool tho) and would really prefer tho take a tiger or maybe even a panther but i don't know if  the damage difference will be noticeable. I mean i kinda want to play MM later on so i would assume pet damage isn't as big and that small attack speed difference won't be a big deal but maybe it actually is.

The DPS is normalized, if I'm not mistaken. Faster attack speeds don't necessarily mean higher DPS, but just more frequent attacks. This means misses, dodges, and parries are less devastating, as your pet has more chances to make up for them. In addition, faster attacks means more frequent knock-back interruption on casters, which is good for PvP and reducing damage from some mobs while leveling/soloing.

If you're worried about what pet to have while leveling, you probably don't need to get the "best" pet, i.e. Broken Tooth. Any cat, raptor, or wolf will suffice. In the end, your pet choice (while leveling) is mostly up to personal preference. If you think Broken Tooth looks lame, go get something else. The other hunters (especially the ones in this thread, lol) will appreciate it.

Edited by Fisher

i'm actually also talking about "end game content". I understand that every little bit of optimization is good, but i was just wondering if it makes a huge difference(in both pve and pvp) and if people would kinda avoid me since i have a 1.3s pet.

33 minutes ago, Trales said:

i'm actually also talking about "end game content". I understand that every little bit of optimization is good, but i was just wondering if it makes a huge difference(in both pve and pvp) and if people would kinda avoid me since i have a 1.3s pet.

In PvE, I doubt anyone cares what pet you use as long as it's a DPS pet. Cats, wolves, or raptors, wolves preferred (for their group DPS buff).

In PvP, I doubt anyone cares, at all. You'll want whatever helps you the most. Your pet is useless if it can't reach anything, so you'll definitely want a pet that has Dash or Dive. This means Boars, Cats, Hyenas, Raptors, Tallstriders (the birds), or Wolves, and Bats, Carrion Birds, Owls, or Windserpents, respectively.

40 minutes ago, Trales said:

The thing people are forgetting is that pet attack speed comes (way) after being able to play the class right, and at a maximum level.

Only then, when you get with the top players, it gets from being not so important to really important, because that's when the last percentages of optimization are important. So before you are a top quality player yourself, it's not noticeably better, or just a little.

Okay thanks, i will just not give a fk about Broken Tooth and rather get a pet that is still decent and looks nice for me.

1sec attack speed pet is most usefull if BM.BM/scatter shot is pretty decent in pvp but many go marksman(probably because of raids) and then enough agi they change to survivalist.

If u cant get BT then the best bet is wait 2-4months or whatever and tame the bats in ZG which have 1 sec too.

1 hour ago, Fisher said:

Honestly, I'm just trying to give you some life advice. People will not be honorable about things like rare pets, quest mobs, etc. If you are the nice guy, you will spend much of your time being upset that people didn't do the same. Save yourself the trouble and the time. Employ whatever tactics are necessary to get what you want.

Just because others won't do the honorable thing doesn't mean you shouldn't.

1 hour ago, Trales said:

What SgtDeath said is quite true. As a point of interest, my Broken Tooth turned a caster's 3 second cast time into 7~ seconds reliably during testing. You might wanna do a little testing for your 1.3, yourself.

BT is good for only reasons as far as i understand

- more pushaback in PvP

- more uptime of Frenzy if ure BM cause it has a 20% chance to proc on an attack

It's useless in end-game PvE 100%. LBRS worg is better. BT is equal to other cats in the raid setting.

I personally use the Wintersaber for farming purposes. Looks cool with my Ivory Raptor :P

Edited by Pwnjin

3 hours ago, Raziya said:

Just because others won't do the honorable thing doesn't mean you shouldn't.

On the contrary. There's no legal repercussions for being "dishonorable." You won't get arrested; you won't get banned from the server; you'll still get invites to groups. The one and only reason you have to be "honorable" is it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. Well, sorry, but I care more about getting rare pets, quest mob tags, and leveling fast than I care about some hunter's feelings. The reason you shouldn't do the honorable thing is because it's entirely at your detriment.

3 hours ago, suhail1200 said:

If u cant get BT then the best bet is wait 2-4months or whatever and tame the bats in ZG which have 1 sec too.

If I'm not mistaken, the bats can't learn Claw, which would do more DPS than Screech. Bats are also lower DPS pets in the first place.

1 hour ago, Pwnjin said:

BT is good for only reasons as far as i understand

- more pushaback in PvP

- more uptime of Frenzy if ure BM cause it has a 20% chance to proc on an attack

It's useless in end-game PvE 100%. LBRS worg is better. BT is equal to other cats in the raid setting.

I personally use the Wintersaber for farming purposes. Looks cool with my Ivory Raptor :P

I actually forgot about Frenzy. That is another reason to have a faster attack speed on your pet. I wouldn't agree it's totally worthless in end-game content, but I would suggest getting a different pet for raiding/group content. Lupos is really good. I don't know what LBRS worg you mean. Do you know its name?

I dont know what other guys talk here but in vanilla there is no "normalization" of pet damage.

Different pets have different baseDPS according to the pet sheet.

And BT has the best baseDPS you will find in vanilla wow.

Edit just to make my point:

Bangalash:  83,7DPS at lv60

Broken Tooth: 107,2DPS at lv60

Edited by Yumz

8 hours ago, Fisher said:

On the contrary. There's no legal repercussions for being "dishonorable." You won't get arrested; you won't get banned from the server; you'll still get invites to groups. The one and only reason you have to be "honorable" is it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. Well, sorry, but I care more about getting rare pets, quest mob tags, and leveling fast than I care about some hunter's feelings. The reason you shouldn't do the honorable thing is because it's entirely at your detriment.

I vehemently disagree. And furthermore, I think you're missing the point.

That sort of selfish, callous attitude is exactly the sort of attitude that alienates other players from you. The reason to be honorable to others is not just to be 'warm and fuzzy.' It builds trust, makes friendship easier, and ultimately the people you help are more likely to come help you. And, the consequences of being dishonorable often fall on someone else! At least, at first.

I'll give you a few examples of the benefits I've personally reaped. On Kronos II, I had Crusader on my Ravager before I could even equip it because of a friend's donation. I got an entire set of Fang gear for my druid from another friend who just wanted to chill out with me. I had help taming Broken Tooth on Nostalrius 1.0 from someone who stood out there with me and had a clock ready to tell me at the exact time, "okay, tame now." I had a reliable list of friends to draw from for quickly forming a group and clearing a dungeon. And the Horde tended to let me quest in peace when I didn't strike them when I could.

There's always going to be someone who acts with greed over honor, and it's a good idea to be prepared for them, but perpetuating dishonorable conduct (especially in a social community like WoW) is a poor decision with potentially detrimental long-term effects.

Now here's where you're missing the point. Tagging quest mobs isn't dishonorable, it's competition. Taming rare pets over others in the immediate area isn't dishonorable either, it's once again competition. It's the way that it happened at the top of this thread - someone actually kited BT away from him while he was in the middle of taming to tame it. This is to the detriment of the entire hunter community because not only can BT be killed easily in a scrap like that, but it sows discord.

4 hours ago, Yumz said:

I dont know what other guys talk here but in vanilla there is no "normalization" of pet damage.

Different pets have different baseDPS according to the pet sheet.

And BT has the best baseDPS you will find in vanilla wow.

Edit just to make my point:

Bangalash:  83,7DPS at lv60

Broken Tooth: 107,2DPS at lv60

I'm looking up information about this. I can't seem to find when the pets' DPS was normalized. I'm guessing it must have been 2.0, or some later patch in vanilla. If there were actually higher base DPS pets (I know there were, but I don't believe there are anymore), then the reason people would be picking Broken Tooth wouldn't be for its attack speed, but its base DPS. That simply isn't the case, as far as I know.

If it is, I'd much appreciate you providing a list of all these values, as I'm sure would many others.

1 hour ago, Raziya said:

That sort of selfish, callous attitude is exactly the sort of attitude that alienates other players from you.

Players whom, among the other thousands of players, I do not care about and will likely never see again. Most of the folks taming Broken Tooth probably quit playing before they even reach Winterspring, let alone level 60. The ones that don't quit, while mad, aren't going to lose sleep over some other hunter taking Broken Tooth from them. They'll grumble, maybe tell their guild what a jerk the guy was, then they'll either continue camping it, or level up some more and try later.

For one, they could just as easily do the same thing to someone else, or do it themselves in the first place to prevent aggro from being taken. Secondly, having Broken Tooth is something most people seem to seriously overestimate. Many will agree it is the best pet (for leveling and PvP, at least), but I'm sure most do not know why. If they did, they likely wouldn't sit around as long as they do for a pet that ultimately isn't much better than many of the other pets available.

Keep in mind, I agree it is better, but not so much that you'll do absurdly higher DPS with Broken Tooth than you would, say, The Rake, whom has a much shorter respawn time and fewer people camping it.

If what I've said about pet DPS being normalized is true (I'm fairly certain it is, but I'm open to the possibility it isn't), then the one and only reason having Broken Tooth would be more DPS is higher uptime on Frenzy due to faster attacks meaning more chances to crit and then proc it.

1 hour ago, Raziya said:

I had a reliable list of friends to draw from for quickly forming a group and clearing a dungeon.

That's what a guild is for. If you think people actually care enough about a hunter "stealing" someone else's tame that the hunter would have trouble getting into a guild and/or finding a group, I think you grossly overestimate people's compassion for others. Try telling General that some hunter stole the pet from you. See how many people just laugh at you, and how many will actually attack you for daring to whine about it.

If anything, the fact the hunter knew how to use his class to secure the tame for himself means he's probably a better player than you are, and they want him instead of you. A jerk? Maybe. A better player? Most likely. At the very least, he has the good pet, and you don't.

1 hour ago, Raziya said:

There's always going to be someone who acts with greed over honor, and it's a good idea to be prepared for them, but perpetuating dishonorable conduct (especially in a social community like WoW) is a poor decision with potentially detrimental long-term effects.

The long-term effects being your feelings and psychological well-being, right? Because I don't care about that. I'm not saying you have to go about being a jerk, ninjaing epics you can't even use or doing other stupid things like that, but if you want a pet, and you have a way to tame it instead of someone else, I really don't think any sensible person whom isn't an entitled child will care that you did what was necessary to get it.

Or do you mean the community being less toxic and overall "better?" Again, I don't care. I play the game because I enjoy the game, not because I like that some hunter ran up, saw I was there first, and let me tame the pet he was after. I'm also not going to care if someone does the opposite. That's part of the game. 

2 hours ago, Raziya said:

Tagging quest mobs isn't dishonorable, it's competition. Taming rare pets over others in the immediate area isn't dishonorable either, it's once again competition. It's the way that it happened at the top of this thread - someone actually kited BT away from him while he was in the middle of taming to tame it. This is to the detriment of the entire hunter community because not only can BT be killed easily in a scrap like that, but it sows discord.

I would consider that to be competition, as well. They are competing for the same resource, in this case: Broken Tooth. You can argue the tactics employed were unpleasant or upsetting, but you can't deny that it was competition. Just because your opponent kicked you in the nads before making a layup doesn't mean you weren't playing basketball. Whether or not that is acceptable depends entirely on the rules. In this case, the rules of the server are what matter. Is it against the TOS to "steal" a pet from another hunter? Nope. So who cares?

There might be social repercussions, at best, for taking such actions, but I seriously doubt the severity of any such repercussions would be worth even considering, let alone altering one's behavior in of concern.

Also, "to the detriment of the entire hunter community?" Don't make me laugh. Your discord means nothing to most hunters.