Anthemius

Way to use 2-factor authentication without a smartphone?

Hello all, I heard hacking is quite a problem on these servers with gold being stolen and whatnot so I want to use 2FA, but I don't have a smartphone. Is there any way to use it without one?

Authenticator doesn't work. All it does is give you a random 6 digit code, doesn't appear to actually scan anything seeing as the number changes every time you refresh

Edited by riplip

Tried that as well. I get returned with a string of letters that looks like 

otpath://totp/elysium/RIPSINN687?/secret  (with several numbers and incomprehensible jumbles of text)

shit like that

Edited by riplip

24 minutes ago, riplip said:

Authenticator doesn't work. All it does is give you a random 6 digit code, doesn't appear to actually scan anything seeing as the number changes every time you refresh

What's the problem? You know it is SUPPOSED to refresh every few minutes or something like that. Everything is ok.

I must have tried 20 times now. none of the 6 digit codes worked after re-scans, waiting for refresh, requesting new emails, entering multiple times per refresh. Nada. I don't think you've actually tested this out, so why are you saying it works?

Edited by riplip

The codes only last 20 seconds, after the 20 second window is over the codes wont work anymore.

Furthermore having two-factor authentication on the same machine as you use to access the account almost nullifies the protection two-factor authentication provides if your machine is compromised.

However winauth looks great, open-source is always the way to go.

^ I was aware of this as previously stated.

Anyways, @Anthemius I got the chrome extension Authenticator to do it correctly. When you install the extension, click a small button that says "synchronize" and then proceed to scan the code. 

4 hours ago, Nahaz said:

you can use a google chrome extension called Authenticator

I use this and the one provided by the 2-FA page, Google Authenticator for Android.  Just apply the same code to both and you're solid.

2 hours ago, riplip said:

Tried that as well. I get returned with a string of letters that looks like 

otpath://totp/elysium/RIPSINN687?/secret  (with several numbers and incomprehensible jumbles of text)

shit like that

Authenticator worked fine for me

2 hours ago, riplip said:

I must have tried 20 times now. none of the 6 digit codes worked after re-scans, waiting for refresh, requesting new emails, entering multiple times per refresh. Nada. I don't think you've actually tested this out, so why are you saying it works?

I just changed my location and thus had to login via authenticator code. Granted i had to try it a few times because the code didn't seem to work. Maybe my timing was wrong? But on my sixth try or so it accepted the code. (I'm talking about the smartphone authenticator)