Loiri

Retail wow vs vanilla

So I've began to think about testing the retail wow, legion.

I played a lot of wow during vanilla and tbc, I even bought  wotlk, but played only to lvl 85 because it just got some how boring.

Now about a month ago I decided that I need some game to play and have fun with when I have time, so I ended up googling about wow and how it is today. It felt like shit to me, like it wasn't warcarft anymore. Any race can be nearly any class, new hero classes which I don't think is good. Everything just seems to be "free" for everyone and there's no real grind anymore. I loved grinding in vanilla and tbc.

The thing is that I have so busy life and the nostalrius servers don't work that well. It's like every time that I could play, I can't because of the servers. Other thing that makes me sad is the fact that I will never know for sure what happens to my characters in the game. It can be one night and everything is gone. Hours spend playing will be gone in one second.

I am a casual player who like PVP and grinding(to get a reward with the hard work). I'm not any kind of hardcore raider or anything. I've watched some videos about retail on youtube and it just seems so fucking bad that I came to nostalrius, but now this isn't working too well either. I just can't see myself playing legion if it's like I see it on youtube; people doing 100 000 dmg and having like million health, some shitty hero classes, no lore etc...

What do you guys think, should I give legion a go or not? Will I be disappointed if I purchase the game?

I played some legion. The problem I have with today's wow is that it doesn't feel very rewarding. You get handed gear of every color without much effort. And once you get that legendary drop it feels pretty meh. Professions isn't much work. Gold is plenty. And the only thing to do is logging in and do these tedious dailys over and over. And a world boss spawns. Yay! You go there, throw some spells, get another purple. 

I usually end up going old raids for some mount or legendary I don't already have. Doing some PvP, which I still enjoy.

To me it just doesn't feel like an epic adventure anymore. It just easy leveling and dailys. But I haven't done any serious raiding since pandaland.

Will you be disappointed? Well, I would think so. PvP is still rather fun but not very rewarding. If you're not doing "serious" raiding it doesn't have much epicness to offer. 

That's my opinion at least.

Legion isn't bad. It has a good story, very well designed questing areas and Suramar (endlevel area) is just great.

If you enjoy a roleplaying game for its atmosphere and story, buy Legion and try to focus on these things.

Legion is a lot of fun to more people than it's not fun to. The people that complain and whine are the vocal ones so it might look like players don't like retail wow.

OP, maybe you should find something else to do with your free time since you don't have very much of it like go to the gym or spend time with your family. 

Every wow expansion has tons of lore and great stories so saying Legion has no lore is um....very false. If you don't like it, don't play it but don't make things up.

Legion wasn't bad, until I cleared all the content and had nothing else to do besides repetitive world quests. I mean sure, I can't expect Blizzard to keep up with my rate of consumption, but still, even with the AP grind ingame, there's still not much to do outside of dungeons and world quests, once you've cleared the raids that week. And the dungeons and world quests already became stale and repetitive, before the second raid tier released.

The thing that annoyed me the most is Blizzard's continued struggle with class balance. Some classes are just way behind others, lots of talents that are completely fucking garbage, even legendary items that are complete garbage and took 5+ months for blizzard to fix. There's just so many things that make me think "how the fuck did this make it through alpha, let alone beta??"

it feels like we're playing a never-ending beta, rather than a complete product.

And of course, retail in general has just been dumbed down and filled with instant gratification. Gearing is super fast and easy, the gear itself has no flavor to it because it's all just the same secondary stats with nothing special, item quality literally means nothing anymore, only ilvl (a green and epic with the same ilvl will have the same exact stats), dungeons are super straight-forward AoE fests, there's no challenge to ANYTHING outside of high m+ and heroic/mythic raids, etc.

The game feels more like World of Diablocraft than World of Warcraft. Vanilla and retail are pretty much completely different games, at this point.

Edited by gotmilk0112

The leveling process is on rails, there is no sense of accomplishment. Anything that isn't handed to you with little effort will be as soon as the next patch comes out & anything less than a month old is nerfed so the mouth-breathers can feel special with their epics.

It was a massive upgrade from WoD, but it definitely has a lot of shortcomings. When I play legion, I feel like I'm playing an action game these days. Some elements were ripped directly from D3, so perhaps that's why.

Not only is Legion visually stunning there's tons to do. I think the people complaining about having nothing to do and being bored must not know all there is to know about the expansion or even wow for that matter. 

Currently in retail World of Warcraft there are...

21637 quests to complete

almost 300 mounts to collect

almost 900 pets to collect and level to 25

Over 300 toys to collect

over 100 reputations to grind to exalted 

Thousands and thousands pieces of armor and weapons for the transmog journal

79 pieces of heirloom gear to collect

103 dungeons

48 raiding instances

2511 achievements to earn

12 world events

314 titles to obtain

15 professions to learn and master with roughly 9000 recipes and patterns to acquire

13 races/12 classes to level to 110

Endless PVP

14 Battlegrounds with endless PVP

6 Arena maps with endless PVP

Endless World PVP

I can go on and on. There is literally too much to do in World of Warcraft so unless you have completed everything I have listed, there is ALWAYS something to do. If you aren't interested in any of what I listed then you shouldn't be playing this type of game and you certainly have no business telling people that it's "boring" and there is nothing to do, lol.

It's worthless crap.

The best part is the retarded blizzdrones that post here promoting the crap that retail is.

You realize you just called  someone "retarded" right? Not only is that a very offensive term for those with developmental disabilities it shows that you are a young child. I think perhaps your parents should have taught you right from wrong and how to be a decent human being. Your avatar photo is a picture of one of the biggest pieces of sh*t that ever walked the earth AND you are promoting and glorifying gun violence.

I kinda feel sorry for you actually.... :(

Edited by Misfit

1 minute ago, Zargoth said:

Admins: please remove this thread. This is a discussion forum related to Elysium.

Removing it seems a bit harsh. There's an off topic section to move it to if one feels that wow discussion isn't suitable for a wow forum.

10 minutes ago, Misfit said:

You realize you just called  someone "retarded" right? Not only is that a very offensive term for those with developmental disabilities it shows that you are a young child. I think perhaps your parents should have taught you right from wrong and how to be a decent human being. Your avatar photo is a picture of one of the biggest pieces of sh*t that ever walked the earth AND you are promoting and glorifying gun violence.

I kinda feel sorry for you actually.... :(

STFU blizzdrone and go cry at MMO Champion. Show them on a teddy bear where the bad Pirates touched you.

2 minutes ago, Erjh8765 said:

STFU blizzdrone and go cry at MMO Champion. Show them on a teddy bear where the bad Pirates touched you.

rofl triggered

2 hours ago, Misfit said:

48 raiding instances

But only 1 of them is relevant at the moment. Only 3 of them are for max level characters and balanced for the current class design and itemization.

Everything from MoP and below can be done by a single character on level 110.

The 3 raid dungeons from WoD will probably require decent gear and rudimentary knowledge about the boss mechanics for a solo run.

The Hellfire Citadel (last raid dungeon of WoD) on the highest difficulty level MAY still require a small group of players, at least for a few bosses. I don't know.

I was member of a so called levelstop guild in WoD. We leveled alts to level 60, stopped there and raided with them. A fucking joke. The stat squish ruined it.

Edited by noob257

I log in to raid MC-Ony-BWL-ZG in 1 day then I don't log back in for 7 more days, at least in Legion I can do multiple raids on the same toon to help friends out :)

2 hours ago, Misfit said:

And 85% of the content is irrelevant because it has no useful reward and/or no challenge because it's old content designed around old mechanics.

Nice try though, Blizz shill.

Edited by gotmilk0112

7 minutes ago, homu said:

If you are unlucky and didn't got bis legs in first four leg drop, you have to create a new character or say good bye to a hc/mythic raiding.

That's not true. I was a HC/Mythic raider with only 1 legendary item (and it was shit).

AFAIK there is no limit for legendary drops, only an impact on the drop chance for further legendarys.

9 minutes ago, homu said:

You have to farm mythic+ dungeons everyday, or say good bye to a hc/mythic raiding.

That's not true. I was a HC/Mythic raider and almost didn't grind mythic dungeons. Only hardcore players with first kill ambitions need to do that.

5 minutes ago, homu said:

I'm talking about latest raid patch and that is true. A guild that can kill guldan hc  and trying to do mythics will never keep you if don't have two bis legs equiped.

https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17613693108
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17614455999
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17614773822
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17614793647

3 hours ago, Misfit said:

Not only is Legion visually stunning there's tons to do. I think the people complaining about having nothing to do and being bored must not know all there is to know about the expansion or even wow for that matter. 

21637 quests to complete

almost 300 mounts to collect

almost 900 pets to collect and level to 25

Over 300 toys to collect

over 100 reputations to grind to exalted 

Thousands and thousands pieces of armor and weapons for the transmog journal

79 pieces of heirloom gear to collect

103 dungeons

48 raiding instances

2511 achievements to earn

12 world events

314 titles to obtain

15 professions to learn and master with roughly 9000 recipes and patterns to acquire

13 races/12 classes to level to 110

Endless PVP

14 Battlegrounds with endless PVP

6 Arena maps with endless PVP

Endless World PVP

I can go on and on. There is literally too much to do in World of Warcraft so unless you have completed everything I have listed, there is ALWAYS something to do. If you aren't interested in any of what I listed then you shouldn't be playing this type of game and you certainly have no business telling people that it's "boring" and there is nothing to do, lol.

None of this stuff you listed is inherently "good".    Not to mention you are straight up lying with some of the stuff you wrote. 

Heirlooms are absolute bullshit, they completely destroyed the leveling experience.  It's a shame you even listed them up there as a pro of retail.

Mounts are also bullshit.  Having 300 mounts to collect is not a good thing, I like it how it is in vanilla where mounts are extremely difficult to obtain, and arent account-wide. 

12 world events?  I'm assuming you mean the weekly world quests that  award usually epics and good gear?  I'm not sure how that is a pro, being handed an epic or something extremely good for little to no work is not something good.

9000 recipes and patterns to acquire?  And how many of those are RELEVANT? 

21637 quests?  Once again, the leveling experience has been butchered, only the new quests from Legion are "good."

Transmog journal is stupid in my opinion and makes the game even more casual than it already is.

There is NOT endless world PvP, I struggled to find much world PvP and I was on one of the servers that PvPs A LOT.  The world PvP on retail is NOTHING compared to Vanilla's world PvP. 

13 races and 12 classes are also not inherently good things. 

The only thing I can agree with on your list is achievements, that's one thing Vanilla lacked, I love achievements. 

The dungeons and raids claim is bullshit considering only 1 raid is usually relevant at a time.

Dungeons are repetitive and boring, and not to mention only a couple are relevant currently.

All the stuff you wrote was absolute bullshit and made me hate retail even more.  Get out of here you and go suck blizzard's cock some more.

ehh if you like really 'hard' pve legion is good. you can do mythic raids and mythic + dungeons and believe me you need to play your spec pretty good. very tight rotations very tight tuned boss mechanics, mess up = dead and wipe raid

thats it pretty much. its all about skill, ppl dont matter guilds dont matter press button execute rotations, get reward fuck off, do it again but 1% better, kill same boss but 5% harder, then get better, get more skiill, kill same boss but 5% harder, and again and again. fuck that shit

if i wanted skill based multiplayer game id play dota tbh

Edited by athero

25 minutes ago, IAMSADWARVENS said:

Transmog journal is stupid in my opinion and makes the game even more casual than it already is.

Why? It's not like looking up an item on wowhead is difficult. Having the ingame UI tell you where to get the item just saves you time.

Edited by gotmilk0112

8 minutes ago, gotmilk0112 said:

Why? It's not like looking up an item on wowhead is difficult. Having the ingame UI tell you where to get the item just saves you time.

if game is aware its a game it loses much of its appeal. idk why but it does