Sign in to follow this  
Roshidon

Cone of Cold

Hi all - Zyler here.

I was just wondering if the Cone of Cold damage was correct. For some reason it is doing less than my Frostbolt although the tooltip says 286 to 315 damage on Cone of Cold (rank 3) and 240 to 262 damage on Frostbolt (rank 7). I also have the 3/3 talent Improved Cone of Cold which increases its damage by 35% and I have a decent amount of + frost damage on my gear.

My Frostbolts are hitting for around 390 with my + spell damage and Cone of Cold is hitting for around 320. Am I missing something here?

Hello, i am assuming from the ranks that you are around lvl 42+? if you frostbolt hits average 390 and tooltip says 286-315 that means you have around +120spelldmg?? something seems off. 

One thing to note is that CoC benefits less from +dmg than frostbolt

Edit: What i mean is in vanilla i  allways remember FB to hit more than imprCoC. And since it benefits more from +dmg the difference between the 2 spells is bound to get bigger the more you get

Edited by Zaz

Yea I just checked and I have around +160 spell damage (mixture of + frost and + magical damage and healing). I guess this seems to add up for Frostbolt but not nearly as much when we look at Cone of Cold. I do faintly remember spell power benefitting cast time spells better but it's been so long since I played original vanilla I'm not sure. 

p.s. I just did a quick test - I tried a few fireblasts with -55 spell power averaging out at about 280 damage. Slapped the spell power back on and they went up to around 300. I tried the same thing with Frostbolt with the first casts averaging out at around 330 and after slapping the spell power back on they went up to around 400. So I'm not sure if the spells Cone of Cold and Fireblast are not as strong because they are instants or if there is another reason behind it. 

12 minutes ago, фткyн said:

Ye, coc is also aoe so.

Not sure what you're getting at.

I just checked a few different ranks and it does seem to be cast time based. Rank 1 Frostbolt is only doing about 50 more damage than the tooltip whereas Rank 3 is doing about 100 more and Rank 7 is doing about 150 more damage based on my spell power. 

Edited by Roshidon

No, spells under 20lvl had very small by affected with spell power, cone of cold is aoe spell which get only 30% of your sp, and instant so 43%. and also have additional effect so 95%, just use addont Theorycraft

Benefit from spellpower is cast time based. instants count as 1,5 sec casts. You get 100% of +dmg when a spell has base casttime 3,5sec+ (talents that reduce casting time dont affect this). That means that fireball gets more benefit than frostbolt from you +dmg. also frostbolt gets more +dmg than scorch and fireblast. fireblast and scorch get the same +dmg.

Now aoe spells get les +dmg by default (but also following the above rules). The rank of the spell doesnt affect how much benefit it gets from +dmg as long as the casting time doesnt change (for that last one i am not 100% sure).

Edited by Zaz

15 hours ago, Elizondo said:

how on earth do you have + 160 spelldamage at lvl 40? 

please delete your WDB folder, then check your items again.

What's the WDB folder?

The reason he told you to delete the WDB folder is because you probably have incorrect tooltips on gear that was changed in later patches. If you play on either of the newer servers I would also highly recommend it because it will help you with making informed decisions on gear because the stats will be correct for this patch.

8 hours ago, The Fapmonsoon said:

The reason he told you to delete the WDB folder is because you probably have incorrect tooltips on gear that was changed in later patches. If you play on either of the newer servers I would also highly recommend it because it will help you with making informed decisions on gear because the stats will be correct for this patch.

Thx for the explanation Thefapmonsoon, although I deleted my WDB folder and my items are still showing the same tooltips.