insuruto

Overpopulation ruins the experience...

I am referring to the Elysium server. There is way too many people competing for mob tags while questing. It's way beyond frustrating. I think it's time for a queue system when logging in or a server pop cap. The time spent waiting for respawns is tedious and when people ignore party invites just to be $#@#$ doesn't make it any easier. I scanned through a few pages in the suggestion thread and never saw a single post relating to server caps. When is this going to get addressed? When every mob on the server is dead simultaneously? It certainly feels close to that already...

I have noticed the same thing: it almost feels like Everquest in terms of waiting for respawns of key quest mobs.  (Almost, at most I've waited 15-20 mins, as opposed to several hours or days in EQ in 2000).

Was Elysium intended to be a "very high"  population server?  /who has show up to 9500 players online.

If it was, then everything is "working as intended" to mirror a Blizzard response and I have no issues with that except the caveat below.

If not, is there a planned remediation of the issue?

Caveat: Having played during Vanilla, I don't recall server population being this high (although this is anecdotal).  A "Blizz-like authentic Vanilla experience" shouldn't get too much higher than 9500 online.  A higher-than-vanilla population density detracts from a true Vanilla experience.  If we are not going to implement various Quality-of-Life changes such as dual talents in the name of authenticity, it stands to reason that changes to keep server populations to reasonable levels in the name of "authenticity" would be justifiable.

A practical means of implementing this would be create another server and allow transfers from Elysium *and fund it by asking all the people complaining about all the quest mobs being dead to donate, or STFU*.  I would personally pledge $30/mo (a bit less than 10% of the monthly cloud hosting cost) for another PvP server that allowed transfers from Elysium.

They have a super pop server, and a low pop server at the same timeline.

If you dont want to play on the high pop one the solution is pretty simple.

I haven't gotten out of the rut of newbie lands yet. Still questing in crossroads as of today. Maybe it's not as bad at higher levels. I don't have much experience with vanilla servers so is it possibly because it's still a new server? I don't plan on switching to a different server as my friends play on Elysium too. 

9 hours ago, starrbuck said:

Was Elysium intended to be a "very high"  population server?  /who has show up to 9500 players online.

when? last month at the release? was much more than 8k~ last week.

I started a rogue one week ago and i am lvl 29 on Elysium (Alliance) now, i just LOVE the high population on this realm.

I allways find groups for all quests, instances, everything.

7k+ people online without lags and disconnects and you guys are complaining..?!

9 hours ago, starrbuck said:

Caveat: Having played during Vanilla, I don't recall server population being this high (although this is anecdotal).  A "Blizz-like authentic Vanilla experience" shouldn't get too much higher than 9500 online.  A higher-than-vanilla population density detracts from a true Vanilla experience.  If we are not going to implement various Quality-of-Life changes such as dual talents in the name of authenticity, it stands to reason that changes to keep server populations to reasonable levels in the name of "authenticity" would be justifiable.

It was never over 8.200 for the last week, not even on the weekend, most of the time 5.000 - 7.000. 

I love the high population, if you dont like it, switch to Zeth'Kur.

Edited by dec32322

1 + side to high pop server a lot easyer to find groups for dungeons .Try findong one a low pop server is anightmare  from what iv seen

7 minutes ago, dec32322 said:

when? last month at the release? was never over 8k last week.

I started a rogue one week ago and i am lvl 29 on Elysium (Alliance) now, i just LOVE the high population on this realm.

I allways find groups for all quests, instances, everything.

7k+ people online without lags and disconnects and you guys are complaining..?!

It was never over 8.200 for the last week, not even on the weekend, most of the time 5.000 - 7.000. 

I love the high population, if you dont like it, switch to Zeth'Kur.

About a day ago it the servers looked like this. "Its not 1 server. At the time of this reply 6,074 on Anathema, 3,723 on Darrowshire, 9,483 on Elysium, and 3,096 on Zeth'Kur. That's 22,376 people that don't buy into or don't care about this drama. Including me"

I only have that because I was replying to some smartass 'servers ded lulz" comment. I wish I would have screen shotted the servers tho

I personally think they should alow like 1000 accounts to transfer from ELY to ZK. ZK can use a little boost, ELY can lose a few.

So, it's Saturday and now they issue a 5k player cap. I kinda figured this would happen. Nice to know they read their suggestions! Thanks team elysium!

1 minute ago, insuruto said:

So, it's Saturday and now they issue a 5k player cap. I kinda figured this would happen. Nice to know they read their suggestions! Thanks team elysium!

I doubt this is permanent, it rather has something to do with recent server instability lol.

If you complain about too many players on the realm you should have rolled on another one. Zeth'Kur is probably more appropriate to your taste and it has the same timeline as Elysium, why not play there? Instead YOU CHOSE a very populated realm and then complain on the forums that it's too populated for you.

I will never understand people like you.

My friends play on Elysium which is why I joined them. There's a difference in a high pop server and an over populated server. I played on many high pop servers in retail. None of them were ever this crowded. Every starting zone is like a disturbed ant bed. 

You still chose to do so, it's a high pop server if you like it or not. Your friends don't seem to have so much of a problem with it, if yes there are other options as mentioned already.

1 hour ago, insuruto said:

Nah don't need to now. 5k cap is good.

Its only temporary so people can play while the server is getting ddos'd

12-15k is the ideal population for a WoW server for PVP to feel alive because if you have fewer players the BG queues become very tiresome. Also, a smaller population makes it hard to find things on the AH. Trading and interacting with other players in the community makes the game more fun imo.

Mob respawn rate is better with dynamic respawn, but I've done some observation of the algorithm and it seems to swing too far in one direction or another. It could use some balancing. I am not sure if it even effects quest mob respawn timers at all, if it doesn't, that would be a good suggestion.

15 hours ago, metagame said:

Mob respawn rate is better with dynamic respawn, but I've done some observation of the algorithm and it seems to swing too far in one direction or another. It could use some balancing. I am not sure if it even effects quest mob respawn timers at all, if it doesn't, that would be a good suggestion.

Where is the algorithm published?

On 3/4/2017 at 11:52 AM, insuruto said:

My friends play on Elysium which is why I joined them. There's a difference in a high pop server and an over populated server. I played on many high pop servers in retail. None of them were ever this crowded. Every starting zone is like a disturbed ant bed. 

Convince your friends to play on Zeth'Kur. It was literally created because so many people (like you, like me) really hate the overcrowded cesspool feeling of Elysium. I switched to ZK a week or two ago and it has been smooth sailing ever since! The server is much more stable too, with zero lag.

On 3/6/2017 at 1:35 PM, ztrapoon said:

As long as there's no lag, the more the better IMO. 

There is noticeable lag on Elysium at times, by the way. None on Zeth'Kur at all. It's the smoothest WOW experience because it's Blizzlike. 

I also disagree with "the more the better" when you are getting to be 4X to 5X the size of retail Vanilla WOW's server limits. Nothing in Vanilla was designed for 8000 connections at once. But some people, like you, think this way and that's why it's nice that there is a different server for each way of thinking.