Owondyah

Gold spam has increased

This night in OG I ignored 10 new names in less then 5minutes.

That never happened before. This is, by far, most gold-selling infected realm I've ever played on, and I'm not saying this with some high tone or whatever. I'm not mad and I'm not QQing. I speak my mind here...

While I noticed actions are being taken towards the bots (specifically in Barrens, where I reported over 15 names during my leveling period there), I don't see much being done towards the constant channel and mailbox spam.

Most recently even private messaging has become intensive. Used to be 2 whispers per hour or so... now, lets just say it's much more.

Besides ignoring them, what can we, as a community do to make situation better and are there any plans to get this cancer out of our realms once and for all?

Edited by Owondyah

Someone suggested a .mr command, similar to the .wr command but for mail, would that suffice for combatting the gold mail spam epidemic? 

On 3/17/2017 at 2:19 AM, TheHappyCatsTail said:

If you have nothing constructive to say, don't post. I will report any offtopic and personal rant to moderators.

Lets get to bottom of this and work on getting staff reply here on what's being done to counter them.

Maybe you got some ideas? Maybe you know about some stuff? Maybe you played on a server which got it done and you know what they did? 

SpamThrotle addon worked partly for me. Number of whispers reduced. 

However, seeing you got mail, and going all the way back to check it just to find "G4WOW is your best friend" in it....not fun.

You ever saw suspicious fella at mailbox? Take your time and observe him. If you really confirm he is gold seller dude, report him.

Lets work on that together as community. We bloody CAN get em out.

I'm 100% sure all of you have seen a bot during your playing time here. What's worse, you didn't report him.

If they spend more time leveling and creating their chars then sending you mail and actually sell the gold, they will leave.

Time is money, friend.

On 17/03/2017 at 1:19 AM, TheHappyCatsTail said:

why are you surprised? y'all playing on a server whos owner is a known gold seller. 

Nothing whatsoever to do with the nature of a blizzlike vanilla server where money is harder to come by than on other server types then?

You should stop watching you tube and reddit, it's rotting your brain and you're losing the capacity for analytical thinking.

On 3/18/2017 at 6:34 PM, Owondyah said:

If you have nothing constructive to say, don't post. I will report any offtopic and personal rant to moderators.

Lets get to bottom of this and work on getting staff reply here on what's being done to counter them.

Maybe you got some ideas? Maybe you know about some stuff? Maybe you played on a server which got it done and you know what they did? 

SpamThrotle addon worked partly for me. Number of whispers reduced. 

However, seeing you got mail, and going all the way back to check it just to find "G4WOW is your best friend" in it....not fun.

You ever saw suspicious fella at mailbox? Take your time and observe him. If you really confirm he is gold seller dude, report him.

Lets work on that together as community. We bloody CAN get em out.

I'm 100% sure all of you have seen a bot during your playing time here. What's worse, you didn't report him.

If they spend more time leveling and creating their chars then sending you mail and actually sell the gold, they will leave.

Time is money, friend.

I'm sorry for your sensitive but there will always be gold sellers, drug dealers, hookers, mafia. In China retail we've been fighting with the gold sellers/buyers for more than 10 years in eventually we realized there's no way to wipe them out, so the society made the decision to make them legal with one condition: Only hand-farmed golds could be used for trading purpose, any hacked/botted/exploited golds trading will still leads you banned. By clarification like that people who wants to buy golds must choose the accredited seller because nobody wants to get banned for trading lower priced hacked golds, and seller who wants to makes living with this has to follow the rules and work harder for earn their own credit by providing better service on Taobao known as Chinese eBay which allowed people to trading legal virtual goodies and has their own credit system and reporting system. 

So now almost nobody get hacked b/c no buyer wants to get banned for buying hacked/lower price golds, almost nobody spams b/c the sellers they're all selling and only selling golds on Taobao with their credit ratings listed over there and it's the only website that buyers trusts and goes for buys golds. However, it wasn't happened in minute but a long time process from everybody, the acquiesce from Blizzard, the development of e-commerce policy, the players's compromise even the gold sellers. 

btw, You see the what so called G4WOW there? They're spamming like crazy that could only proved they are running out of their business, they will be dead soon. Actually if you googling elysium gold the no.1 result is a website called MmoGah with 4.7 google rating and 77 votes and they never spams. Hopefully stories like that could inspires you a little bit and thinking in different angle. Peace. 

You sure do raise few valid points there... I'd be just fine if they could do their "business" without touching my mailbox...

On 3/16/2017 at 6:13 PM, gotmilk0112 said:

SpamThrottle, m8.

I haven't gotten a single gold spam whisper in like 2 weeks now.

Lots of mails, yes, but no whispers.

I have Spam Throttle installed, it makes no difference. The spammers have new macros and text that they use. It's so tiresome.

When will the admins do something about this?

13 minutes ago, Stilbo said:

I have Spam Throttle installed, it makes no difference. The spammers have new macros and text that they use. It's so tiresome.

You do realize that you are supposed to add new keywords/patterns in Spam Throttle to counter the spam as it evolves? Use the /st command -> experiment -> happy joy joy 

2 hours ago, Stilbo said:

Then add those new macros to SpamThrottle. Easy.

They don't change macros every day. I've been adding each new spam that I get, and like I said, I haven't gotten a whisper in weeks.

I hardly have a decent conversation with one of those gold sellers. They rarely talk back :(

Edited by faellendir

Did you try responding to this particular individual, and perhaps explain, in a rational way, why what (s)he is doing is wrong.

Just something you can try,,,

I noticed some suspicious dude at Tarren Mill during my questing there and filed a report

http://imgur.com/Bl7OH7W

Few mins later... turns out I was right

cD1A6sM.jpg?4

If you notice someone similar, don't hesitate to report him.

Edited by Owondyah

I apologize for my noobness, but I didn't find any instructions on the website on how to report a goldseller. How do I do it?

OK... 

I assume you know how to open the ticket. ( ? icon > stuck > page a GM ) 

Write his name and stay persistent until ticket is served. 

OR... you can just start making fun of it and take reporting to whole new level. Check my brand new "video ticket" lol