varagas

Rolled a Human Priest

hey guys,

i played vanilla but i never tried a priest, so i thought that its time to try this class. Its really fun so far but i keep reading that guilds look for dwarf priests.

My problem is that i rolled a human priest and am almost lvl 30. In the future i would like to play in a good guild and do good pvp. 

Would you recommed me to reroll to dwarf or is it fine? 

Thank you guys 

They just prefer Dwarf for the convenience of Fear Ward. In most cases it will not affect your chances of getting into good guilds etc though. Don't bother rerolling at L30 especially not for such a lackluster reason. Honestly you can always find /some/ reason to reroll your character if you're really looking for one. For example, Dwarves lack the +5% spirit and +10% reputations gains of humans. They also get ganked more easily by the hordes of UD rogues because they don't have Perception.

Edited by Pwnana

At least u have a good feature with human perist, especially u if u chose a female toon~

5% spirit will be magnified according to ur better gear.

feedback is crit in world pvp, only ud raical surpasses this.

farewade isn't that useful in pvp, :(, many may disagree , but my exp ,it's not powerful at all.

only if u wanna 100% dedicate to raid reroll dwarf then. Otherwise keep lvling ur human priest.

Edited by Silverlash

36 minutes ago, Parla said:

If you plan to pvp reroll dwarf.

drawf sucks in pvp, if u r well played.

don't miss guidance others.

undead has it definitely raical advance in pvp.

drawfs r pve toward.

fearward is a joke in pvp.

7 hours ago, Silverlash said:

drawf sucks in pvp, if u r well played.

don't miss guidance others.

undead has it definitely raical advance in pvp.

drawfs r pve toward.

fearward is a joke in pvp.

No.

Dwarf is categorically better. If you are playing in a Prem vs Prem I wouldn't even consider anything but a Dwarf.

If you are doing pugs only then it doesn't matter what you are.

3 hours ago, Shayss said:

No.

Dwarf is categorically better. If you are playing in a Prem vs Prem I wouldn't even consider anything but a Dwarf.

If you are doing pugs only then it doesn't matter what you are.

agree, dwarf always has its important role in grp play.

But undead, troll, human has their racial advantages when sole engagement happens in world pvp.

4 hours ago, Silverlash said:

agree, dwarf always has its important role in grp play.

But undead, troll, human has their racial advantages when sole engagement happens in world pvp.

Honestly Night Elves have the best racial for BGs and world pvp: Shadowmeld, which allows you to drink stealthed and hide at the beginning of the fight.

5 hours ago, Pwnana said:

Honestly Night Elves have the best racial for BGs and world pvp: Shadowmeld, which allows you to drink stealthed and hide at the beginning of the fight.

Hiding always been the best trait of NE huntards tbh 

For PvP a human can wear catseye goggles and kick on their racial and see rogues 15 yds away. Plus the 5% spirit. 

On 1-4-2017 at 1:22 PM, Silverlash said:

especially u if u chose a female toon~

Why does that matter? :s

9 minutes ago, Silverlash said:

drwaf looks ugly 

Make it with pigtails, it's cute when you cast.

Also loled at the "will only consider dwarf for premade". I know quite a bunch of human and night elf priests you'd die to play with instead of the random FW bots dwarf priests you probably play with on elysium realm x)

If you limit your priests to their racials, you already fail at understanding the roles of a priest in a prem v prem go way beyond providing a layer of fear safety.

On 08/04/2017 at 2:07 AM, Slicy said:

Make it with pigtails, it's cute when you cast.

Also loled at the "will only consider dwarf for premade". I know quite a bunch of human and night elf priests you'd die to play with instead of the random FW bots dwarf priests you probably play with on elysium realm x)

If you limit your priests to their racials, you already fail at understanding the roles of a priest in a prem v prem go way beyond providing a layer of fear safety.

What you are referring to is individual player skills and role within a BG. We are referring to racials though.

As you are a grandmarshal, I doubt you would deny that if you had 2 priests of equal calibar in skill, you would take the dwarf over another race.

Still on the race topic, I'm currently rolling a female nelf priest because I love the looks. (swear I'm not virgin^^).

From a pvp standpoint, am I at a huge disadvantage because I don't have fear ward or desperate prayer ?

Will I suffer from discrimination when asking to be invited in premades/pve raids ?

2 hours ago, Shayss said:

if you had 2 priests of equal calibar in skill, you would take the dwarf over another race.

2 priests of equal caliber in skill is something you will never get. There are always better or worse reaction times or situation awareness or positioning factors etc. that make the differences and have high impact depending on the situations, BG and the setup you have.

In the end I believe you got my point and I got yours, but saying you will take nothing but dwarf priests into a prem is same as stating you are not considering how the player plays its class in a team environment, which is what I highly disagree with. And this goes for literally race/class combos in pvp.

For good PvP and PvE invites, Dwarf is typically strongly preferred.

On 31/03/2017 at 6:44 AM, Pwnana said:

They just prefer Dwarf for the convenience of Fear Ward. In most cases it will not affect your chances of getting into good guilds etc though. Don't bother rerolling at L30 especially not for such a lackluster reason. Honestly you can always find /some/ reason to reroll your character if you're really looking for one. For example, Dwarves lack the +5% spirit and +10% reputations gains of humans. They also get ganked more easily by the hordes of UD rogues because they don't have Perception.

Fear Ward is good in PvP and required in PvE. It is the number one reason why dwarf priests are scouted heavily while other races tend to get the boot. In PvP, Fear Ward is useful against both Warlocks (they have to cast Fear twice to overcome the Fear Ward) and Warriors (it wastes their intimidating shout). In mass PvP, it can also help against enemy priests if they're not dispelling/purging you. As for racials, Perception is worthless for preventing ganks by UD rogues. It gives you +50 stealth detection for 20 seconds on a 3 minute cooldown. That means the only time it does anything is if there was an invisible Rogue nearby you and you knew they were there but they hadn't attacked you yet. Also, it's worthless against a Rogue's Vanish super-stealth (vanish's stealth rating is too absurdly high for perception to do anything, no matter how many stealth bonuses you stack - you could stack all the stealth detection bonuses in the game and it still does nothing against vanish). By the way, if you really know there are invisible rogues near you, you could just drop a rank 1 holy nova or psychic scream to expose them. I guess you could try to make it a nervous habit to keep randomly hitting perception but I'm not sure how much that will help, given the 3 minute cooldown. In Battlegrounds, Perception is a bit more useful if you can predict enemy rogue movements and thus get the drop on them, but that's about it.

Dwarves on the other hand have it much better against rogues than humans. That's because Stoneform gives them 8 seconds of poison (and bleed) immunity (along with +10% armor). The clincher on this is that Dwarves can actually stoneform to break out of a Rogue's blind along with temporarily making their poisons useless. It's basically an anti-rogue trinket with a few minor perks on top. Breaking out of Blind is much more valuable for when you get ganked by Rogues than Perception, so Dwarves are actually the better pick for PvP against rogues.

Where this leaves the Human Priest is with Feedback. Feedback mana burns enemies for 108 every time they cast a spell on you, so it should be good against the spellcasting enemies. These would be enemy Mages, Warlocks, Priests, Shamans, and Druids. Out of these, Mages and Warlocks tend to have extremely high burst damage and mana pools, and you will generally be dead if they manage to repeatedly cast spells on you for any appreciable quantity of spellcasts, so Feedback is fairly useless. This is even more the case when people have powerful gear, because your feedback does not scale but their health and mana and damage will all be much higher. Where feedback should come in handy is in those slow attrition fights where you are trying to outlast the other's mana pool by using your own mana pool to heal off all damage until the enemy is oom. Unfortunately, when it comes to attrition fights with Horde healers, both Priests and Shamans can effortlessly dispel your Feedback, rendering it useless (warlocks can also devour it with their felhunter, by the way). And the Druid will use shapeshifting to damage you unless they are playing the rare oomkin spec (in which case you were probably going to outlast his mana pool even without feedback). That means Feedback will almost never hand you a win (unless both you and your enemies are stupid and badly geared, maybe). It's just an irrelevant extra. Feedback only comes in handy against 1 class, and that's the Paladin. But you will never PvP paladins outside of duels or Dire Maul or Gurubashi arenas since they are alliance-only. But even then you could just spam mana burn if you want to outlast their mana pools.

So strictly speaking Human race offers next to no benefits for PvP or PvE.

On 09/04/2017 at 1:01 PM, glonglon said:

Still on the race topic, I'm currently rolling a female nelf priest because I love the looks. (swear I'm not virgin^^).

From a pvp standpoint, am I at a huge disadvantage because I don't have fear ward or desperate prayer ?

Will I suffer from discrimination when asking to be invited in premades/pve raids ?

Oh yes, you will almost certainly suffer from discrimination. Night Elf Priests are the red-headed stepchildren of Priests. Their racials are only viable for PvP, and they make better Shadow Priests than the other alliance races since their racial spells Elune's Grace (which is bad against Warriors because they will just Overpower you if you manage to dodge) and Starfall (which is only useful against counterspells since being locked out of arcane school means nothing - the damage is worse than mind flay) can both be used in shadowform. The real perk of playing a nelf priest is the racial Shadowmeld I suppose, especially if you want to camp a ledge to mind control people over the edge. The main matchups that improve for nelf priests are hunters, rogues, enhancement shamans, and feral druids I guess, but dwarves get stoneform which is better against rogues (and also of use against hunters) and rogues can probably wait out the elune's grace buff if it matters.

In battlegrounds Shadowmeld might actually be useful for camping and defending.

Only a junk guild needs Fear Ward. We don't even have this as Horde, with any race. We also don't have Desperate Prayer. The spells we get are totally worthless for our healers. So play whatever race you like, and tell the elitists they can eat your dick.

Thank you for the peanut gallery remarks. I'd like to remind you that the Horde uses Tremor Totems from Shamans to deal with Fear. It also has all those Undead players who picked UD precisely for Will of the Forsaken to break Fear on their own (aside from the Warrior, every class that can be Undead is over 70%-80% UD because of this one racial). That is why the Horde manages without Fear Ward. The Alliance on the other hand leans heavily on Fear Ward to handle boss fears. As for Desperate Prayer, it is a self-heal and not particularly raid relevant unless your Priest is in danger of dying.

So not sure how I ended up here and hopefully this isn't a full necro (thanks iPhone), but I did some serious eye rolling at a lot of these comments.

Can PvE be easier with certain facials? Sure. Is it required? No.

Do racials matter in PvP? Not even remotely. Where does this showcase? The last 11 years of Arena and like 5 years of RBGs?

I have never and I mean never heard a decent player talk about race or gear typically it's more along the lines of comp and mu but whatever. That "ilvl xxx+" type of crap is for people who back pedal.

How do I know this? Historically and even presently, Alliance has had better racials for PvP (stoneform, emfh, perception, etc) and in things like RMP mirrors could even be game breaking.

However, Arena is at present and has mostly been (rbgs included) 80% horde or so and for mostly cosmetic reasons and well for the lulz.

And can you guys stop with this elitist argument honestly it's a bunch of nonsense it's  a private server for fun can you put the epeens down as if you've faced someone over 1800 in the last two yrs?

Look we can all sit here and pretend that vanilla live requires/had min maxing elitists when more realistically have the people played their keyboard using their face I mean look at old vurtne videos the guy is bar swapping lmao.

Just stop it.

Edited by ksx

Ah yes, eye-rolling. Right up there with scoffing and turning your nose at something for disputing viewpoints you do not appreciate. But that does not make the facts any less true.

If you believe "racials do not even remotely matter in PvP" you are simply bad at PvP. Skilled players understand that victory and defeat are a function of the tools you have at your disposal and how well you use them. Weaker players believe in skill as a more magical concept that will just have you triumph independent of the circumstances, but at upper tiers of PvP, everyone is skilled, and racials make massive differences. Even at lower tiers, racials can and will decide victory and defeat. But it is true that the average WoW player is rather awful at PvP and can be readily defeated regardless of racials if you're skilled.

If you believe there is no real difference between an Undead Rogue stunlocking a Human Warlock (where WotF + trinket makes CCing the Rogue infeasible) and a Human Rogue stunlocking an Orc Warlock (where Orcs have 25% stun resistance), you are simply delusional. Similarly the difference between Troll Rogue vs a Dwarf Priest (has Desperate Player, breaks Blind with stoneform) and an Undead Rogue (breaks WotF) vs a Night Elf Priest (no Desperate Prayer, no Stoneform, and dodge does not apply when stunned, casting, or attacked from behind, iirc) are also considerable. Mages and Priests are usually considered easy match-ups for Warlocks, but that changes if the Mages and Priests in question are Undead. Troll Mage vs Gnome Warrior is also a much better match-up for a Warrior than Gnome Mage vs Undead Warrior, because Escape Artist matters a lot when it comes to the kite. Whether or not a Warlock or Priest gets to make a Fear stick can and will determine who wins or loses a fight. A Rogue being unable to Blind enemies also considerably weakens his options. And so on.

Now you mention you know this because of Arenas in WoW, but in Burning Crusade at least, there were a lot of team compositions (especially 2v2 comps) that required specific racials to be feasible, like UD for WotF in order to survive multiple fears. Additionally, a Shaman or Druid that has War Stomp can do stomp+cast combos to pull potent stunts in positions that other races cannot. When it comes to serious attempts to grind Arena ladders in Burning Crusade, racials are actually a significant factor in your performance.