Sign in to follow this  
Kilros

Herb spawn rate

I posted a suggestion pertaining the herb spawn rates on an earlier date.  

Never in my life have I seem gromsblood at 50g a stack.  Plaguebloom at 80g.  Black lotus at 140g

Can somebody please inform me if this is blizzlike, and if not can we PLEASE fix this madness?

Thank you.  

It's only worth what others are willing to pay.  As far as fixing it you'd have to talk to your fellow players and request that they stop buying at the prices they are currently buying at.

shoulda joined the mafia back on nost while they were profiting on people buying leather.

also Gold inflation occured so it doesnt matter if you add more herbs, the prices will always go up.

This isn't a mafia, this is a product of dynamic herb spawns not being adjusted since the server was an average pop of 9-11k.

Under the current dynamic, anytime the server pop is 3.5k or less, hardly anything spawns anymore.  Its outrageous. 

To those commenting on inflation, the ratio of ingame gold vs prices as a whole going up would be acceptable.

This is not an example of inflation though.   This is the most basic example of supply vs demand.

If it was simply inflation, this would never be a discussion, since all items would increase by a relatively same rate of value across the board, meaning the numbers are high, but the amount of farm time to purchase said items would be the same.  This is not the case.

The % of population that raided beyond ZG/MC was very low in 2005/2006.  The consumable consumption rate is out the roof compared to retail servers back then.  The amount of guilds clearing content is extremely high on the server compared to back then.   While the concurrent online population is getting around that of a full retail server, the amount of active players is higher, just a lot of people raid log.   With out paying that subscription, you don't have that feeling of "I need to play more to justify the cost".   

I played on Warsong - NA server back in 2005/2006 and even with AQ40 released, you could count the amount of guilds that had BWL on farm on 1 hand. There are 119 guilds that have cleared BWL on Anathema alone.   AQ40, 2 guilds, 2 guilds stepped into Naxx, 1 of which got Spider Wing down, other only Anub.   We had a 750+ queue every weekday raid night.  This point of the server, it was the two top guilds poaching the best of the MC farm guilds.

This is why in 2006 on patch 1.12.1 you could get a flask for 49-55g at most (with a 750+ logon queue ie: not a dead server), compared to 220+ gold here without even having content out that will need flask.

TL;DR:

25x the amount of successful raiding guilds on 1 server compared to retail vanilla, same spawn rate of resources.   Supply vs demand, not inflation.

Yeah respawn times are really low.  If left unchanged it will only have a negative affect on the server.  Eventually players/guilds will just quit, but I think the staff will address this possibly after AQ is released.  Right now is not the time though since their focus is on finishing AQ.  From their perspective It does them no good to have people quitting the server.

15 hours ago, Undertanker said:

TL;DR:

25x the amount of successful raiding guilds on 1 server compared to retail vanilla, same spawn rate of resources.   Supply vs demand, not inflation.

Precisely...

Now, I propose they adjust the spawn rate to make farming raid consumables achievable again.  To be quite honest, it saps the fun right out of the game when you can't even farm your own mats to use in raids, and every non-raiding moment in game is spent running non-productive circles around EPL and un'goro, or farming gold just so you can scrape by for 70g stacks of mongoose, or Titans flasks...

Adjust the spawn rate on the herbs so us non-no-lifers can enjoy the basic pleasures of vanilla once again.  

Sure, Vanilla is supposed to be grindy....that's why we all love it.  

This isn't 'grindy', this is broken.

23 hours ago, Imbaslap said:

shoulda joined the mafia back on nost while they were profiting on people buying leather.

also Gold inflation occured so it doesnt matter if you add more herbs, the prices will always go up.

Supply vs. Demand says otherwise. Increase the supply and the demand/prices will go down.

who needs gold when you are rolling in 100g+ worth of herbs? increasing that supply will only increase the value of those assets. Gold doesnt do anything outside of repair bills and respecs.

with a gold cap monopoly in game with the ungoro mafia, the only people who will be getting the herbs from the herbalists will be the gold cap players paying 100g+ for the herbs yet again allowing them to consume more pots more frequently.

the poor man still stays poor.

make gold have value and close the loopholes, otherwise it's a mute point to increase spawns. the currency is just getting devalued and super inflated. 

So if there are a million of x flask on the AH, they will all have the same value?

Players only need so many flasks and 1 million flasks will not sell out, so players will undercut each other to sell their flasks.

On 4/6/2017 at 5:43 PM, Imbaslap said:

the currency is just getting devalued and super inflated. 

This would be inflation, which is not what is occurring on Anathema (no more than it should over our server lifespan).   If currency in general was getting devalued, we wouldn't have any issues.  It would actually be in favor of all players due to vendor items remaining at a fixed rate, so mounts/repairs/regents all cost less by % of average gold obtained per hour.

My transmutes still charge the same, with a 20% variable in price from server launch to today.  Why do I not get to charge 20g per transmute vs the 5g if money is devalued and inflated.     It is because it isn't.   Details below:

Black Lotus from launch to now has seen a jump in cost from 28g to 145g.  417% increase.   - demand > supply

Plaguebloom from launch to now has seen a jump in cost from 12g a stack to 80 g a stack.  566% increase. - demand > supply

Yet Arcane Crystals have only gone from 16g to 22g.  37.5% increase    inflation.

Runecloth from 1.2g a stack 1.8g a stack.  50% increase -  inflation.

Iron Grenades 1.0g to 1.55g.  55% increase - inflation.

The Ace of Beast/Deck has gone down from 800g to 600g  25% decrease - supply > demand  overachieving inflation.

The Acoe of Elementals has gone drom from 200 to 70g.    supply > demand  overachieving inflation.

Skullflame Shield from 250g to 120g.   supply > demand  overachieving inflation.

In Vanilla gold was much more scarce so prices couldn't be inflated so high. The ways many of us make money now weren't known to most back in the day along with many of the addons we use today weren't known. The current BiS raid and pre-raid lists were non existent and many pre-raid bis back in the day was often considered your tier 0 gear by many as silly as it often was. Today your average 60 hits 60 with better gear then many 60's who had been there for weeks and working on gear, We know where spawn points are fire herbs, mines, dire maul books, and what is good or not. There are a number of ways I could make 40gp+ an hour (even a lot more with a bit of luck) and most of these are known by the core population.

None of this is wow vanilla like because that was well over a decade ago hence not blizzlike. But still the market manages what players can afford at often at the top end of things.

However some additional problems have arisen which do need to be addressed. Gold farmers/sellers far bigger then back in the day in part because completely free vs a $20-40 game and $15 a month sub to play. Also someone can have a dozen accounts if they so choose and people log camp timers for things like black lotus and such where if they have the timer they rotate camp/log to find it.

One of the biggest things they could do to fix some of these issues wouldn't go over so well but would require some form of payment or person verification and limiting how many accounts someone could have.

18 hours ago, Syanis said:

Also someone can have a dozen accounts if they so choose and people log camp timers for things like black lotus and such where if they have the timer they rotate camp/log to find it.

This was done back then as well.  #Alts  Doesn't need multiple accounts.   Also guilds would do this as a whole.

I think you do not give people enough credit for knowing how to farm in 2005/6.  Many of us came from DaoC or Everquest.  We KNEW how to grind.  DM East jump runs were just as big then as there are now.  Bring an enchanter, a miner and 3 man it.   Stealth Coffer runs and LBRS runs were non-stop spammed LFM at all times of day on my server.  People were always at Tyre Hand.   Elementals in Silithus, Arathi, Badlands were always being farmed.

People made hunter alts just so they could 2 hunter speed farm Mara.   Hunters soloed DM North and would sell mana pots by the masses.    Mages and Pallies aoe farmed Scourage.  

Add-ons were a thing and were used back then.  Also Thottbot had all the maps for nodes.   

I am confused with your connection of pre-raid BiS knowledge majority of which are BoP.  Unless this is specifically a devisaure plug.

I'll point

18 hours ago, Syanis said:

In Vanilla gold was much more scarce so prices couldn't be inflated so high.

Prices in general are not inflated.  No more than expected for the duration the server has been out.  Factoring in high turn-over rates with the gold on inactive accounts, inflation as a whole has been pretty moderate on Anathema.  In many cases prices for some items have been drastically lower than they were within the first couple of months of server release.  I provided some examples above, however another good example is Hide of the Wild.  It's about 2/3 the cost of what it was when released.  This is all just supply vs demand.    The demand for Lionheart helms/Hide of the Wild was high then.  Now it isn't so much to the point that it supersedes server inflation.   To get a good estimate on what our current inflation rates are, it is best to look at smaller items that drop from near unlimited resources ie: very easy to farm.  It takes looking at a list of items and getting the average rate of increase to get a general idea.  30%-35% seems to be where the general inflation rate it at.

But this poorly titled thread isn't the issue at all.  Inflation would be equal time investment = same purchase power.   ie: farm 10 minutes = 5 consumables at start of server when everything is low price.   farm 10 min = 5 consumables at end of server when everything is high price.    This is inflation and it does not harm the community.  It helps it.  Because the game itself has fixed vendor prices on mounts, repairs, and gold sinks.   Making these less trivial for everybody.

We are simply experiencing an issue with supply vs demand.  ie: farm 10 minutes = 5 consumables at start of server.   and currently now farm 10 minutes = 1/2 a consumable.

I think the issue was more that people have been removing herbs from the economy (hoarding) rather than using them. This is pretty evident by the massive crash in herb prices before they even implemented higher spawn rates as people tried to liquidate their stocks before they lost value.

The dependence on the rising value of herbs and faith that the price would always increase is actually very interesting from an economic perspective :P

Regardless, since I am unable to comment on the announcement thread....Thank you to the devs and GMs who listened to us on this issue!  

Well the reason to stockpile herbs and consumables in the first place arise from the fact that prices may double or triple over a short period of time, if you only farm herbs you need for the week you risk being cucked by external factors that you can't control. I bought a metric ton of plaguebloom when they were selling for 18g a stack, because I knew that prices would go up at some point, I just didn't know that plaguebloom would be selling for triple the price i paid for.

Pretty much this.  It is normal to stock pile.

Especially while there are limited raids.  Once AQ is out you are adding a 40 man and 2 more 20 mans every week possible.  This takes away from farm time, so people stock up now.

If it was just stockpiling for raids, why did they sell off their stockpiles when they heard herb spawns would be increased?

Same, saw the writing on the wall and sold my dreamfoil and lotus. I will rebuy the same amount once prices lower and continue sitting on them until AQ progression.

On 4/7/2017 at 6:43 AM, Imbaslap said:

who needs gold when you are rolling in 100g+ worth of herbs? increasing that supply will only increase the value of those assets. Gold doesnt do anything outside of repair bills and respecs.

with a gold cap monopoly in game with the ungoro mafia, the only people who will be getting the herbs from the herbalists will be the gold cap players paying 100g+ for the herbs yet again allowing them to consume more pots more frequently.

the poor man still stays poor.

make gold have value and close the loopholes, otherwise it's a mute point to increase spawns. the currency is just getting devalued and super inflated. 

your attempts to prevent a spawn inc because you want to keep your profits are are comical. keep tryin tho.