Sign in to follow this  
Rumpe

Best ways to make money and get gear while leveling as a Warrior?

So I have just started leveling a human warrior. What is very clear from early on, is how gear-reliant this class is! I'm speccing into the Fury tree, and planning on going two-hand fury at least until level 40. I'll be doing dungeons as both tank and Fury dps (whatever is needed at the time), and will go Fury at level 60.

Now, to keep up with gear it's always tempting to go to the auction house, but at the same time I already know that I'll need all my gold for level 40, to get my mount. Therefore I need a good way to either get gear easily (other than questing and dungeons as I'm not sure that it'll be enough), and also earn plenty of cash while leveling. I have started leveling First Aid, Cooking, Alchemy and Herbalism.

What are your best tips for keeping up with gear, and earning gold while leveling a warrior?

There's no easy way to get gear really, apart from running dungeons, so that is highly recommended. If you buy gear occasionally then prioritize weapons over any other gear. For example weapons like Executioner's Cleaver or Warmonger are decent investments that will last you a long while if you buy them at their min. lvl.

Here's some other weapons you want to aim for while leveling that make life much easier for you that you don't need to use your gold to get: Smite's Mighty Hammer from Deadmines at around L18-22, will last you till close to 30 or so. Alternatively Cruel Barb from the same dungeon for a 1-hander if you feel too vulnerable running around without a shield at that level. RFK has a really sick axe waiting for you at L30: Corpsemaker OR from Gnomeregan at around the same level Thermaplugg's Left Arm. A quest in Scarlet Monastery at around L36+ will net you the weapon you'll want to use until you get Executioners or Warmonger, that is to say the Bonebiter

Do your warrior quest at 30 (you'll need help for at least the last step) to get your Whirlwind Axe, which will last you until Bonebiter at 34 (earliest).  For horde they'd keep WW until Uldaman.

For gold while leveling, grinding the right beasts is a good way especially if you have cooking and skinning.  For example, tigers in STV are excellent because their vendor trash is valuable, Jungle Stew recipe makes 2 with just one meat and no expensive spices, plus leather.  They are far better than basilisks in shimmering flats if you can cook.  Also way cheaper to cook your own food than buy it.  Herbs is great for gold especially at max level.  Alchemy won't make you much while leveling.

24 minutes ago, Vilius said:

Do your warrior quest at 30 (you'll need help for at least the last step) to get your Whirlwind Axe, which will last you until Bonebiter at 34 (earliest).  For horde they'd keep WW until Uldaman.

I wouldn't recommend doing that quest. It's a major waste of time. You can instead get Thermaplugg's axe from Gnomeregan which is nearly as good with very little trouble (unless you are extremely unlucky with drops). You get Bonebiter in a few levels from there anyway so why waste time running all over Azeroth for the WW quest when the weap has like 3 more dps than the one from Gnomeregan?

1 hour ago, Vilius said:

For gold while leveling, grinding the right beasts is a good way especially if you have cooking and skinning.  For example, tigers in STV are excellent becaustheir vendor trash is valuable, Jungle Stew recipe makes 2 with just one meat and no expensive spices, plus leather.  They are far better than basilisks in shimmering flats if you can cook.  Also way cheaper to cook your own food than buy it.  Herbs is great for gold especially at max level.  Alchemy won't make you much while leveling.

Should I ditch Alchemy while leveling, and rather go Herb+Skinning? I have alchemy atm, but as you say I don't think it'll make me loads of gold, so maybe I'd be better off selling my herbs and going for skinning and selling that too.

1 hour ago, Pwnana said:

I wouldn't recommend doing that quest. It's a major waste of time. You can instead get Thermaplugg's axe from Gnomeregan which is nearly as good with very little trouble (unless you are extremely unlucky with drops). You get Bonebiter in a few levels from there anyway so why waste time running all over Azeroth for the WW quest when the weap has like 3 more dps than the one from Gnomeregan?

I have some level 60 friends, and I'm sure one of them will help me with the WW quest if I need it. Surely then it's worth doing?

I've never played an alliance toon, so WW axe may not be worth the effort with Bonebiter available for you at 34.  As an orc it was a no-brainer and lasted me 15 levels.

Thermaplugg's axe is almost as good, but keep in mind it's a 20% drop rate, and there's no guarantee.  At least with quest rewards (WW axe and Bonebiter) it's guaranteed.  In general I ran each dungeon once or twice at most, and that set me up with gear pretty well but it's luck dependent.

Skinning will probably make you more gold than alchemy while leveling.  On my server it was most profitable to make certain items from the leather and vendor those, or in some cases sell enchant mats, so alts or friends help.  I dropped skinning at 60 in favor of professions that would help more with raiding.

25 minutes ago, Undertanker said:

Weapon skill +axe racial is 1h only, not for 2h.

You are mistaken, it is in fact 1h and 2h.