Sign in to follow this  
Granitebeard

New to tanking

So I played WoW for a while but left. Came back to Vanilla and thought it would be great to roll a warrior and tank. So I have been climbing in levels, and the other day I was told to not level as protection and level as something else to make it go faster. I figured being prot from the git go would be best, but is this not so? Also are there any guilds people suggest for learning the do's and don'ts for a new tank. The one dungeon I have done, I could barely keep threat off a shaman (both of use were level 19). Gues I have a lot to learn and am looking for advice.

Thanks

Well, im a new to tanking aswell (new to wow too i guess), but there are certain skills that cause more threat than others, also try to save your rage: you really need to use sunder armor again when the mobs is close to be killed? what about saving up rage with that little mob so you can use it later for a boss?

Also, there are a lot of youtube videos about taking, my favourite one is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb0j0eXuzTM

is not a real guide, but the stuff that nixxiom says its kinda useful

Here are some guides:

http://www.classicwow.com/forum/topic/1807-agrameschs-tankguide/?page=1

https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16057&sid=39c355564a2e45c2ccb103cc431bcd26

And there is of course a lot of information here in the Warrior forum. I recommend sorting it by "Most viewed" and browse trough the relevant, interesting threads.

I've played a tank for a long time on several private servers and, in my opinion, you do not need to have a tank spec. for any 5- or 10- man. Just having your tanking gear (i.e. shield + 1h sub level 50-60 dungeons) with you and a standard Mortal Strike (pvp/fun) or Fury (pve) spec will do. Having said spec's also makes leveling faster and easier - since you can kill stuff faster. It's possible to level as prot, sure, but I do not see any reason for it. When you 'grow up' and start tanking tougher stuff - you will also have benefited from the experience tanking without a proper tanking spec.

Currently Warriors are quite rage starved, this also goes for your level 19 tanking experience. You have to prioritize what skills to use (and when) and have a proper key binding that you are used to for quick reactions. For example as you may find, scouring trough the forums here, Heroic Strike (HS) isn't really worth using (and/or, you have to use it in moderation and substitute with cleave when tanking 2+ mobs) and instead focus on sundering, shouting, thunderclap, blocking and revenge. Having macro's for marking mobs (skull, X, square etc.) to let the DPS know what to attack first, doesn't hurt either so that you can initially pull (charge'ing can be too risky getting adds), shout/clap -> build most aggro on the skull, whilst tabbing trough the other mobs giving them a sunder/revenge. Mainly focus on holding the elite melee mobs on you, it's not the end of the world if a few none-elites run around or letting a melee take some damage.

Lastly note that Warriors are very gear dependent, so getting a brand new 2H/1H every 5-10 something level (and all the other fun mail/plate stuff that comes along with it), is "needed" if you are new and do not have the gold to buy it.

7 hours ago, Granitebeard said:

So I played WoW for a while but left. Came back to Vanilla and thought it would be great to roll a warrior and tank. So I have been climbing in levels, and the other day I was told to not level as protection and level as something else to make it go faster. I figured being prot from the git go would be best, but is this not so? Also are there any guilds people suggest for learning the do's and don'ts for a new tank. The one dungeon I have done, I could barely keep threat off a shaman (both of use were level 19). Gues I have a lot to learn and am looking for advice.

Thanks

You should be lvling as 2h fury and make sure to pick up piercing howl and honestly, even bloodcraze is pretty neat for lvling and shouldnt be overlooked as many warriors do. Tanking in 5mans as fury should mainly be done by using Shieldblock, Revenge and Sunder. Arms and DW-fury are also viable specs for lvling but worse for the following reasons:

Arms: Weapon specs forces you into using specific weapon-types further down the tree meaning you'll have to respec should you find an upgrade. Also, no flurry and enrage which is VERY powerful.

DW-fury: DW-penalty and lack of +hit gear on lvling gear simply makes it worse than 2h-fury. (Few exceptions with powerful weapons such as Thrashblade, Ironfoe).

EDIT: Here's a 2h-fury lvling spec. Put all first 31 points into fury first. http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#LMhxbIbZVVzIMxoVo

6 hours ago, Kharfax said:

Well, im a new to tanking aswell (new to wow too i guess), but there are certain skills that cause more threat than others, also try to save your rage: you really need to use sunder armor again when the mobs is close to be killed? what about saving up rage with that little mob so you can use it later for a boss?

Also, there are a lot of youtube videos about taking, my favourite one is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb0j0eXuzTM

is not a real guide, but the stuff that nixxiom says its kinda useful

Make sure 5/5 stacks of sunder is up as it increases damage to the mob and the fact that sunder is a very powerful threat-ability. In addition, sunder still generate threat even after 5/5 stacks are up.

Rotation for 5man tanking as fury: tab-sunder-tab-sunder-tab-sunder (throw in a few shieldblocks and revenge for good measure).

Don't feel bad if dps pulls off you on multi-mob pulls (especially shamans spamming ES).  As mentioned above warriors are quite rage-starved especially while leveling, but most players don't understand this and just go ham immediately.

Thanks guys. Will work on getting this stuff in order. I know I need new gear, but finding it seems tough. I have never managed to gather much gold, and know that gear is #1 on the list. When the time comes getting the mount will be tough.

Hopefully I can respect and jump into WC this weekend if I can find a willing group to take a newb tank.

about the gold, since is my first character im going for mining and skinning, i sell that stuff in the ah (the same goes for armor or stuff that i dont need)