Oakenlix

Rules regarding Aux's autobuy feature

Hello.

So using autobuy function of Aux addon counts as botting and is prohibited.

This makes very little sense to me, and my suggestion is to reconsider the rules for this case and allow autobuy, the reasons for that are:

1. It's an addon feature, and addons can only use the functions the game allows them to use. 

2. It's impossible to police effectively. I've been using Aux and autobuy since I started playing in January and today was the first time I was contacted by a GM about it. Given that this addon is very popular, I'm sure there are hundreds of other players who use autobuy regularly too. The only way to tell if someone buys something manually or using autobuy is to ask them about it. If you can't effectively prohibit something, there's no point prohibiting it, since it would only put the good players who want to follow the rules at a disadvantage but do nothing to all the people who'll keep using it without any concerns. 

3. It doesn't give that much advantage in the first place. If anything, it also makes the market more active the more people use autobuy. 

4. Come on, everyone uses it anyway.

Would very much appreciate if the GM team changed the rules regarding this, because at this point I feel like an idiot, bound by a promise not to use it yet knowing that most people most likely do. Thank you.

I've been using aux for a long time aswell, never tried "autobuy" though. What functions does it even fill? (Other than the obvious)? Why would one want to buy stuff automatically?

20 minutes ago, Storfan said:

I've been using aux for a long time aswell, never tried "autobuy" though. What functions does it even fill? (Other than the obvious)? Why would one want to buy stuff automatically?

You can enable autobuy on any of your saved searches, in which case every time a scanned auction fits the search critetia, it will be bought automatically. 

For example, enabled autobuy for "Plaguebloom/price/30s" will buy any plagueblooms auctions with the price of 30s if you search them.

Just now, Oakenlix said:

You can enable autobuy on any of your saved searches, in which case every time a scanned auction fits the search critetia, it will be bought automatically. 

For example, enabled autobuy for "Plaguebloom/price/30s" will buy any plagueblooms auctions with the price of 30s if you search them.

Alright then, in a way I guess it makes sense that they considering it to be botting. On the other hand, if all addon functions are performed within the game API, I dont see how they could consider it botting as there are many other game functions that can be automated with other addons yet are not considered botting.

I too would like to have an official bluepost response on this. Risking sanctions (or god forbid, a ban) for "botting" for simply using an addon seems like a shitty way to get banned.

@Storfan, I agree.

And I wouldn't mind that restriction if there was indeed a way to enforce it. The fact that I only got contacted by a GM after 5 month of using it speaks for itself, and I'm not trying to get myself banned, my main point is: if you can't enforce a rule - remove this rule, or it gets really fucked up. 

There was a blue post about this a week or 2 ago.  Basically they said if you aren't buying out an auction manually then it's botting and not allowed.

They must have some way of detecting and therefore enforcing this rule since I doubt your case is an accidental discovery by the gm.  

33 minutes ago, Hurricane2 said:

They must have some way of detecting and therefore enforcing this rule since I doubt your case is an accidental discovery by the gm.  

Why wouldn't it be? I've been using auto-buy for 5 months.

And only recently I've pissed off a few people by sniping their stuff on neutral AH, so that shouldn't be surprising.

Don't be surprised if you get banned, this is considered automation. But you are right that it is difficult to police. Typically the only times this is pursued is when used also with an anti AFK/idle, which is really the only time players get banned for this.

1 hour ago, Hamblin said:

Don't be surprised if you get banned, this is considered automation. But you are right that it is difficult to police. Typically the only times this is pursued is when used also with an anti AFK/idle, which is really the only time players get banned for this.

"Difficult to police" is quite an understatement though. And yes, I'm not using any anti-afk tool, but the GM I've spoken to did let me know I'll get banned if I use auto-buy again, hence the suggestion to change the rules. As I said, I wouldn't mind having that restiction if it could be enforced properly and not just on few occasions.

On ‎13‎-‎5‎-‎2017 at 10:26 AM, Oakenlix said:

@Justme... well, like, so what?

Just pointing out that its a bad argument.

On 12. 5. 2017 at 8:16 PM, Hamblin said:

I believe I got banned for using only the autobuy feature since I never used anti AFK/idle.

On 5/12/2017 at 3:09 PM, Oakenlix said:

the reasons for that are:

2. It's impossible to police effectively.

17 hours ago, Oakenlix said:

... that I never made.

@Justme, you don't think there's a difference between something being impossible to police effectively and "difficult to police"? I do. 

The difference is that you can never tell if someone uses auto-buy unless he's afk and someone reports him. Policing crimes like murder is... something entirely different.

Oh lawdy, this (well not exactly this, but a standalone sniping autobuy addon from the creator of Aux which did essentially the same thing) was allowed on Nost so I always kinda assumed nothing has changed as everyone is doing it anyway, especially since it would be "blizzlike" considering the amount of vanilla addons that literally made decisions for you and acted on them in raids (like Decursive, TradeDispenser, should we restrict these as well, as they do not fit into the modern idea for addon automation?). This is such a grey area thing honestly, I'm sure Aux could even be modified to only buy when holding spacebar, effectively subjecting to any arbitrary non-blizzlike rules.

Edit: Would just like to add that Aux itself does not have any sort of anti-idle, so you actually have to be present at your computer if you don't want to get kicked offline, also if you actually follow the rules for dual-account (which don't seem to be enforced all that well? I've been to a dungeon run with a chinese guy playing 3 characters and he's apparently had them for a very long time), this locks down your area of operation to the neutral ah zone so your player behavior remains more or less unaffected, you invest the time you spend playing into it.

AH sniping and market play in general is a big part of the fun in the game to some, and as OP said, restricting widely accessible and hard to police game-default features in such a small playing field as the neutral AH can be really detrimental, as it is a PvP mode after all. Is it broken? Definitely yes, but if you have no reliable way to get rid of it, it should stay allowed, Blizzard has come to realize many mistakes in their game that they've fixed later on, yet we don't go around telling people not to use engineering stunbombs, alt+f4 doorclipping and AV  GY ghostwalking just because the developer realized how stupid these things were in a later version of the game.

On 22/05/2017 at 3:58 AM, rawen45 said:

this was allowed on Nost

You're a liar.

Daemon, a Nostalrius Administartor said:

https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=32448&start=20

Re: Got banned for using a macro..

by Daemon » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:56 pm

Hello,

This account has been banned for performing automatic AH actions, which falls under the bot ban reason. This functionnality is no longer accessible from future clients API, because Blizzard considered that it was not legitimate to use it.

Let me quote the terms of use:

B. Bots; including, but not limited to, any code, hardware and/or software that allows the automated control of the Game, or any feature or component thereof.

Regards,
Daemon

--

Nost team always hunted cheaters, botters, gold buyers with the utmost seriousness and determination (/clap to Pottu, we miss you, where are you?)

Here on Elysium, when we report sniping botters with in-game tickets, there is no effect, they're still here 6 months after and GMs dont even dare to say that is a prohibited action.

Examples of botters: Parsnip, 47 lvl rogue (hacked account?), Parisienne, Letrion, Huebsche, etc.

Thanks for the input, guys. 

Still, would be also nice to hear an official response from GM team. I'm not sure who's in charge of this, perhaps @Pottu could provide any information about this? Would appreciate it.

You can use Aux.

Using some sort of auto-buy feature so that Aux buys things for you without player input, is automatisation and not allowed.

2 minutes ago, Pottu said:

You can use Aux.

Using some sort of auto-buy feature so that Aux buys things for you without player input, is automatisation and not allowed.

Yes, but could this ever be changed, considering the arguments in OP?

Namely, the fact that it's impossible to actually enforce this rule and that the advantage it gives is not that significant. Because I know for sure many people use it without any problems just like I used it for 5 months. 

8 minutes ago, Oakenlix said:

Yes, but could this ever be changed, considering the arguments in OP?

Namely, the fact that it's impossible to actually enforce this rule and that the advantage it gives is not that significant. Because I know for sure many people use it without any problems just like I used it for 5 months. 

No.  Asking to allow a banned action because it's difficult to enforce is incredibly lame.

Just now, Hurricane2 said:

No.  Asking to allow a banned action because it's difficult to enforce is incredibly lame.

How so?

Or do you think that enforcing a rule in few specific cases while nothing happens to the majority of players who do the same is fair and alright?