Zaasu

Zaasu's Mage Guide (Elysium - Patch 1.7)

On 5/18/2017 at 9:08 AM, Zaasu said:

Alternative(s): 

inv_shoulder_02.jpg Champion's Silk Shoulderpads (H) / inv_shoulder_02.jpg Lieutenant Commander's Silk Spaulders (A) 

• PvP reward: Rank 8
  • Stats: +16 Stamina, + 15 Intellect, + 12 Spell Damage (+ boots: 2 set = +23 Spell Damage)

*BIS when 2 set bonus is achieved with boots.

Shoulders require Rank 10

Good job thus far.... Hope you keep updating this with future patches

On 25/06/2017 at 8:01 AM, Darkcriminal said:

Shoulders require Rank 10

Good job thus far.... Hope you keep updating this with future patches

Corrected. Thank you!

Hello Zaasu
Great guide! You could however add the Flame Mantle of the Dawn for the 5 FR on shoulders

21 hours ago, moraknar said:

Hi! Thank you for all your work! Now that AV is out will you update the guide with rep items from there?

Hi, Moraknar, I'm happy that you've found my guide useful! To answer your question, yes, I plan to implement a major update within the next weeks time. This will accommodate the new patch, general polishing of the guide as well as the implementation of two new sections: MACROS and STAT PRIORITY. Stay tuned! 

may want to throw an update in. the AV Exhalted items are out now , offhand, wand, ( Ring is not around yet dunno why.)

Awesome post =) Maybee throw in Frost / Fire / Elem spec for pvp?

I think human is the best race for the following reasons:

- 5% more spirit becomes more important (if you have 400 spirit raid buffed, 5% make a difference) for evocation and mage armor unless you are in the top high end guild that kills bosses too fast to even consider mana reg.

- 10% more rep. Makes farming rep faster -> faster access to gear, less time spent, more time to do other stuff.

- 5% more int as a gnome is also like around 20 int if raid buffed, but being unable to cast only for 1s due to missing mana will most likely make a bigger difference as 1/3% crit.

- gnome engineering bonus is only important if you want to have arcanite dragonling for the flame buffet debuff on the boss, because the gnomish +15 skill make the arc. drag. be level 63 instead of 60 and thus stack the debuff more reliable. Anyways other classes should use arcanite dragonling to buff you and it has a 1h cooldown.

On 7/7/2017 at 7:18 PM, Ram said:

I think human is the best race for the following reasons:

- 5% more spirit becomes more important (if you have 400 spirit raid buffed, 5% make a difference) for evocation and mage armor unless you are in the top high end guild that kills bosses too fast to even consider mana reg.

- 10% more rep. Makes farming rep faster -> faster access to gear, less time spent, more time to do other stuff.

- 5% more int as a gnome is also like around 20 int if raid buffed, but being unable to cast only for 1s due to missing mana will most likely make a bigger difference as 1/3% crit.

- gnome engineering bonus is only important if you want to have arcanite dragonling for the flame buffet debuff on the boss, because the gnomish +15 skill make the arc. drag. be level 63 instead of 60 and thus stack the debuff more reliable. Anyways other classes should use arcanite dragonling to buff you and it has a 1h cooldown.

- You can use outfitter to equip spirit weapons to gain full mana back from evocation. 5% spirit is a bit redundant.

- There's no rep grinds in vanilla that are arduous or very rewarding like in TBC (perhaps Arathi and Warsong reputations but that's it).

- It's a good crit and mana bonus which is simply better than the human spirit one.

- Not important

You did not mention Escape Artist (best alliance racial) and 10 arcane resistance for shazzrah and fighting other mages in PvP. Gnome is pretty much 100% better.

10 arcane resist for shazzrah xD! Lold!

Well yeah you are right that 5% more int is additional crit and int but it a) depends on if it applies to your total int or base int and b) if it applies to total int and you have like 400 int raid buffed, you still gain only 20 int, which is not even half a crit and 300 mana (one more FB cast). Dps-wise it is better than human but the difference is so minor that it does not have a big impact. If it applies only to base int the difference is even less.

For spirit: here is also the question if it applies to base spirit or total spirit. If it applies to total spirit and you have like 400 spirit with evo staff, you gain 20 spirit, which makes a noticeable difference for evocation (extreme spirit scaling), innervate and since you run with mage armor and arcane meditation all the time (try running without, you will definately notice the difference), extra spirit is even better. Increased spirit is also more important if you run through a raid chainpulling because your mana will reg a little faster. With 5% more int for instance, you will have to reg longer and therefore do less dps.

It is quite debatable which racial is better, but we can both agree that having no mana to cast is worse than not having <0,5% crit.

For the escape artist skill you have not very much use in pve because blink does the same. For pvp both racials are nice.

The only dps class I would really recommend going gnome is warlocks if they want to have level 63 pets from 315 engi instead of level 60 Pets from engi 300. this can be used if locks want to use arcanite dragonlings in order to apply the flame buffet buff on bosses faster to buff fire mages.

For the rep gain I would also only partially agree with you. Sure, most rep can be farmed outside of raids but 10% more rep is just a nice time saver and in some cases also a gold saver (e.g. when you need to push cenarion rep and buy twilight texts). Also on ZG/aq release you get your enchants/gear faster and if you farm aq event Mount only once, you will be super glad if you have to kill 2000 bugs less. But yes, this is more a quality of life improvement than a raid benefit.

The mana you gain from the bonus int is probably equal to the mana you regen from that small amount of spirit humans get.  I only got like ~230 spirit in my PVE gear with buffs so that's like +11 spirit, I got like 400 int with buffs so it's like 20 int?  11 spirit > 20 int?  I mean if you want to go human I don't think anyone is going to give you a hard time about it the difference isn't much but I would rather have 20 int than 11 spirit.  Also that Arcanite Dragonling cost like 300g in mats to craft, I doubt warlocks are going to craft it for the mages.

Hey, I agree with you that the difference is a really minor one. Well if I am raid buffed with my mage (1.9 patch), I am around 350 or so spirit.

Arcanite drag is only good for beating records.

I want to add some stuff to your current "Pre-bis gear list" 

- Helm Of frozen Wrath(green), 41+ spell damage. Buy it off AH (you can also use the Greens Lens of Frozen Wrath who gives 36 frost damage)

-Bracer Of Frozen Wrath(green or blue),21+spell damage, farm incendius or buy it

-Cape of Frozen Wrath(green or blue),21+ spell damage, can be farmed in Strat live on the Archivist or buy it.

-Ring : Frigid Ring, 14 frost damage, decent (better compared to Band of the Unicorn)

Hey, I think you should add Dragonrider boots to your pre-bis list, they're 1 spell damage less than Riptide but offer 4 more int,5 stam and 10 fire resi, I think they're a reasonable replacement, I'd even say I'd pick them over Riptide.
Edit:
forgot the links
https://web.archive.org/web/20060415052129/http://wow.allakhazam.com:80/db/item.html?witem=18102
http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=18102

Edited by Malzeer
Forgot to link the item

On 7/26/2017 at 3:02 PM, Bonob said:

I want to add some stuff to your current "Pre-bis gear list" 

- Helm Of frozen Wrath(green), 41+ spell damage. Buy it off AH (you can also use the Greens Lens of Frozen Wrath who gives 36 frost damage)

-Bracer Of Frozen Wrath(green or blue),21+spell damage, farm incendius or buy it

-Cape of Frozen Wrath(green or blue),21+ spell damage, can be farmed in Strat live on the Archivist or buy it.

-Ring : Frigid Ring, 14 frost damage, decent (better compared to Band of the Unicorn)

Hello Bonob,

Thank you for taking the time to read my guide and give feedback. I have added the Frigid Ring, but the remaining "[...] of Frozen Wrath"-items, I have purposely decided to leave out as they are not "directly" obtainable. They either require an unreasonable amount of farming or a large amount of gold.

Kind regards,

Zaasu

7 hours ago, Fifteen said:

The macros aren't working at all for me. Do you need SuperMacro or something? Great guide otherwise.

I ran into the same issue but found a github somebody else had shared previously that has working macros found https://pastebin.com/6XYbdWW3 and just read through to find what you want. Mainly I used the downrank macros that look like this:

/run if not UnitExists("target")then TargetLastEnemy()end CastSpellByName(IsShiftKeyDown() and "Frostbolt(rank 1)" or "Frostbolt")

This retargets your last enemy if you don't have one targeted and will cast the Rank 1 version of Frostbolt if you're holding shift when you press the keybind you put the macro on. You can swap out Frostbolt with Fireball or any other spell you might want to cast the quicker Rank 1 version of.

On 8/28/2017 at 4:35 PM, Xaumby said:

I ran into the same issue but found a github somebody else had shared previously that has working macros found https://pastebin.com/6XYbdWW3 and just read through to find what you want. Mainly I used the downrank macros that look like this:

This retargets your last enemy if you don't have one targeted and will cast the Rank 1 version of Frostbolt if you're holding shift when you press the keybind you put the macro on. You can swap out Frostbolt with Fireball or any other spell you might want to cast the quicker Rank 1 version of.

Yeah, I found this guide as well and it works like a charm. Maybe you should update your macros in the opening post, Zaasu.

Being new to the vanilla scene, I just wanted to let you know that your style is awesome xD I will definitely be trying out your guide here and I will let ya know how it goes
o/

The guide has hereby been updated for patch 1.7. A fix for the macro section along with general polishing is coming shortly.

10 hours ago, tucktuck1337 said:

Will the songstone of ironforge's stats automatically be updated even if you already have it?

Yes, once the patch lands, all items will be updated, regardless of whether they are already obtained or not.

Can you split the BIS gear into Fire and Frost?

Seems all your gear is still Frost related, yet ZG+ we can start to spec fire, and I'd like to know a Pre-Raid BIS Fire list. 

TY

Lovley guide, this is just what i needed. Dont listen to those condesending plebs !

Keep it up!

Edited by Zerwon