Fiers

Zeth'Kur rankers screwed

Edit: Within seconds of posting this topic, the elysium discord deletion of the zeth'kur channel was reverted, so I have deleted that portion of my post. This thread is now about the ranking situation, for incoming ZK players.

All ZK rankers (ex-ZK rankers?) are completely boned by this transfer. No opportunity to freeze decay means a likely full 50% rank loss from the transfers. Raiders are harmed as well, as we never got a single free clear compared to the other servers, are already a week behind Elysium from release timing, and now many of us won't be able to raid this week, but that's just the nature of the xfers I suppose. Rankers being especially screwed over is a big problem that is likely to fall between the cracks, and is gamebreaking for those players. Since I was already making one post, I figured I'd highlight this issue at the same time.

The ranking decay seems unfair. I hope they can fix that. The loss of a reset... that's a bit nit-picky in the grand scheme of things, especially given that they allowed you to farm resources in the open world for more than a month in advance of the transfer. 

Yeah losing progress from decay would be quite annoying.  I assumed all the characters that selected the server they wanted would be able to play when Zeth'Kur was shut down.

1 hour ago, Fiers said:

Separately, all ZK rankers (ex-ZK rankers?) are completely boned by this transfer.

And how is that? They didn't lock you out of the battle ground the week before the transfer. You should have grinded enough honor to climb before the transfer. It's your fault if you didn't, not the GMs.

Be grateful that they offered you the transfer in the first place in addition to a choice of the other 3 realms. Zeth Kur rankers would have been much more screwed by the shut down if they had to re-level characters and no transfers were provided. And yes, I am one of those Zeth Kur rankers that you speak of.

25 minutes ago, Lehman Russ said:

And how is that? They didn't lock you out of the battle ground the week before the transfer. You should have grinded enough honor to climb before the transfer.

Thank you for the opportunity to elaborate. I will gladly answer your questions, and ignore the incorrect blame you place. As far as your misplaced demand of appreciating what they've done - of course the xfers are appreciated. It should be shouted from the rooftops from now til the end of the Project, how they cared enough to save the players of ZK. But that's not the topic here.

Marks of honor are lost in the transfer, past the stack of 20, putting ZK rankers at a large deficit right from the start. On top of that, ZK rankers will be at least 1 day, and potentially more, behind the Elysium players, as all ZK players are all sitting in limbo, unable to farm honor. These two factors make it impossible for high ranking players to have any chance of a fair competition of ranking this week, and all high rankers will likely suffer some level of decay as a result. This is the way that ZK players are unfairly "boned" by the xfers.

If ZK players are unable to win their games, farm kills, put in the time, and gather sufficient honor to rank up, that's on them. But the inability to gather marks and to farm honor for at least a day puts them at a huge disadvantage that merits action. It is not their fault. Several rankers have been farming honor for weeks just to prevent decay, because our anemic brackets are too small to allow them to rank. They could not have possibly ranked faster to avoid this issue (and if they had managed to take bracket 1, for example, then another player would be in the exact same situation instead, making it a moot point).

There is no "grinding enough honor to climb" before the transfer. Short of no one trying to rank up for the last several months, nothing could have been done to prevent this. When our current high rankers started their grind, 4-5 months ago, there was no way of predicting they would be in this situation now, or preventing it.

So, on to the issue itself. I myself am not involved - I finished ranking 2 months ago, and speak on behalf of others.

This is an issue that uniquely harms those at high ranks. For someone at rank 13, 1 week of decay (which you realistically need bracket 3 to matter - standard bracket 4 RP is the same as no honor at all when 20% decay is at play, capped at 50% of a rank) not only loses the week that progress could/should have been made, but also slides backwards 2 weeks of progress, adding 3 additional weeks to their grind. A similar, though smaller issue, is at play for those in ranks 12 and 11, where the setback from no marks and 1+ days behind will likely hamper their ability to farm honor beyond a level of preventing decay.

For someone at rank 10, 5-6 days of honor farming is almost certainly enough to at least reach bracket 5-6, where decay is prevented or progress is made. For anyone under rank 10, there isn't really a question about it - they'd rather not have their progress frozen, and farm, so they get some progress. Less than they'd get in 7 days of farming, but still some progress.

For those few player (and there are sadly not very many) at high ranks from ZK, a freeze is necessary to avoid costing them both this week and 1-3 additional weeks of grinding honor, for something entirely out of their control.

They don't want special treatment, they just want a fair shot at ranking on Elysium, same as anyone else. If left alone, there's nothing even close to resembling that.

I am happy to elaborate further if need be, but was told that this was the place to post my thoughts on the topic, so here's my first go at it.

As discussed on Discord, it has been suggested by us personally to the development team.

Regards,

Ash

You make some valid points but I am one of those people who is looking at the bigger picture. Sure I myself do not have much to lose at the present time, given that I am only rank 3. However it is my point of view that it's only a minor hiccup when looking at 6-10 months down the road. One week is hardly going to make a difference. I am certain that they wish to play it safely and make sure the transfers do not screw anything else up on Elysium and make matter worse.

They are a volunteer team that are giving you a free game to play; optional donations if you wish to contribute to the project at the end of the day, they are also real people, with lives of their own and families. I know this is difficult for people to understand given that Blizzard paid people to do that kind of thing; it was part of their business model.

The 'Blue' team that is before you today only has so much time in a day with limited resources. They try their best and sometimes they too make mistakes. I think that many of the haters need to tone things down a bit and be more appreciative having a team of volunteers that cares about their project. Yeah there's lot of bugs and some of these problems are time consuming to fix or can not be fixed. But is the community going to always see the negative things? Or can we move past it and focus on the positives?

One week is hardly going to make a difference.

It's not one week. For a rank 13 player, as I said, it's a month. And as a rank 3 player, you cannot properly appreciate the situation rankers are in. You are NOT one of the rankers I speak of. You are much better off, even with 5-6 days, than you would have been with 7 on ZK. In no way is this move problematic for someone in your situation (same goes for me on my alt). But for high ranked players, this is a catastrophe.

If there is nothing that can be done, that is one possible response, and people will take it as they will. But the issue is of sufficient import to those that it does affect that it at least merits discussion and the effort to solve in any way possible and realistic. This is something affecting people that have put over 1000 hours into the PvP grind, and if left alone, will tack on hundreds more. It's an unbearable end to months of effort for the most hardcore players, who have already been suffering immensely due to ZK's uniquely horrible situation.

5 minutes ago, Lehman Russ said:

You make some valid points but I am one of those people who is looking at the bigger picture. Sure I myself do not have much to lose at the present time, given that I am only rank 3. However it is my point of view that it's only a minor hiccup when looking at 6-10 months down the road. One week is hardly going to make a difference. I am certain that they wish to play it safely and make sure the transfers do not screw anything else up on Elysium and make matter worse.

They are a volunteer team that are giving you a free game to play; optional donations if you wish to contribute to the project at the end of the day, they are also real people, with lives of their own and families. I know this is difficult for people to understand given that Blizzard paid people to do that kind of thing; it was part of their business model.

The 'Blue' team that is before you today only has so much time in a day with limited resources. They try their best and sometimes they too make mistakes. I think that many of the haters need to tone things down a bit and be more appreciative having a team of volunteers that cares about their project. Yeah there's lot of bugs and some of these problems are time consuming to fix or can not be fixed. But is the community going to always see the negative things? Or can we move past it and focus on the positives?

how come you consider having to spend another 3 weeks playing 16+ hours every single day a "minor hiccup"? that's over 300 hours of somebody's time in a really tight time period, a lot more than just a minor hiccup.

Just now, Lehman Russ said:

Nobody is saying you have to play that much. Lol @ people still trying to take this game seriously after 14 years. Come on.

are you saying everybody should just give up from trying to achieve higher ranks then?

1 minute ago, Lehman Russ said:

Nobody is saying you have to play that much. Lol @ people still trying to take this game seriously after 14 years. Come on.

You are saying "the solution to your ranking situation is to give up ranking". That is not a solution, not helpful, and not appropriate.

1 minute ago, Lehman Russ said:

Your arguement about time investment is completely negated by the fact that this game is free. Get over it.

what you just said makes zero sense but whatever.

6 minutes ago, Lehman Russ said:

Your arguement about time investment is completely negated by the fact that this game is free. Get over it.

It's pretty clear you have no real argument for this issue, so why bother participating?  

You get to keep your characters on a free private server. They're doing you the courtesy of spending their time transferring you off of it. What is done is done.

23 minutes ago, Lehman Russ said:

Time is money. How would you feel if you were set back months in terms of whatever you do in the game?
Gearing for PvE? Oops, all the BiS you got in the past month are now gone for reasons outside of your control. But you're not allowed to feel negatively about this because the game is 14 years old! And also it's free!

12 minutes ago, Lehman Russ said:

So the loss of 3 weeks because of neglect is permissible because the service is free?  It's a large time investment and it should be respected at the very least. What does the service being free have to do with anything, would you rather they didn't care at all about anything? Why have a staff or GM response team at all if Elysium didn't care about the quality of their work?

We are all (presumably) merging in to a server with a much higher population than our own; therefore, the number of available slots for ranking up increases. More people can achieve higher ranks.

/violin

Yes, more people can rank with larger brackets. But not when you have 1-2 days and 50-100k honor in marks less than the natives.

6 minutes ago, Lehman Russ said:

We are all (presumably) merging in to a server with a much higher population than our own; therefore, the number of available slots for ranking up increases. More people can achieve higher ranks.

/violin

Thanks for your input, but this doesn't address the issue that was explained to you in great detail.

I ask you keep this thread civil, as the concerns are valid for the people being impacted even if you believe they are not.

13 hours ago, Lehman Russ said:

Wew how someone can be that ignorant.

Keep in mind that you also had an unfair advantage over Elysium which is easy access to mats compared to Elysium.