Sign in to follow this  
artofsleep

Newbie Paladin player questions

Hey guys,

after quite extensively looking through older posts I am still a bit undecided when it comes to which talents and professions to choose for my new paladin. I lvl'ed up two other classes to mid 20's (druid and warrior), but I'm still in the process of learning how the classes work and play out. My emphasis with the paladin during leveling would be to see all dungeons during leveling, preferably as tank but also as healer if needed. I was impressed by how good the class is at tanking low lvl dungeons and I guess 5-10mans in general (ty killerduki), so I definitely want to try that out.

I don't mind being a healer for raids, but as a casual that is still a questionmark anyway. I heard paladins are the best single-target healers in the game. In any case, in my mind it is probably still easier to be a casual raid healer than a casual tank (see my other classes)? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hence for leveling talents, I was looking to rush 11/0/0 in order to be able to start tanking right away, as consecration is a must!? Afterwards I really dont know. 20/31/0 seems to be a nice mix between tanking and healing, but slow for leveling? Protection is good/required for soloing instances I heard, e.g. Stoackades and DM-E?

Would you recommend rather going Ret after 11/0/0 to make leveling easier and respecc to Prot once soloing dungeons becomes doable? I assume as long as you have consecration and gear sets, tanking/healing low-lvl dungeons is not an issue(?)

I have the impression that for pvp the talents are not that crucial during leveling. BG are team and position driven and you anyway fill more of a support role. WPvP is rarely a fair fight and until Gnomish Death Ray is really important (which you dont get until later?)? Again please share you view.

As for professions. I was thinking of trying out engi+mining, as many people advocate it. Howver, it looks really gimmicky for the most part. It also just costs gold instead of generating it(?). I fear that I end up starved for money. I guess my problem is that I don't know how to make money early on, other then from herbs/mining. Upside is that I don't have to worry about a mount, but I would still like to able to update gear. Perhaps give me some insights on choosing this path.

What do you think about going Alchemy/Herbs? It seems like a good compromise as buffs are nice and it generates some revenue. Or going Mining/BS into Mining/Engi later?

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

2 hours ago, artofsleep said:

Hey guys,

after quite extensively looking through older posts I am still a bit undecided when it comes to which talents and professions to choose for my new paladin. I lvl'ed up two other classes to mid 20's (druid and warrior), but I'm still in the process of learning how the classes work and play out. My emphasis with the paladin during leveling would be to see all dungeons during leveling, preferably as tank but also as healer if needed. I was impressed by how good the class is at tanking low lvl dungeons and I guess 5-10mans in general (ty killerduki), so I definitely want to try that out.

A Paladin is a fun class to play (like the rest can be) however being the support class that you need to be can be difficult to pull off.
@killerduki WAS probally one who knew more about Paladin Vanilla tanking then most (even me), may the light rest his characters soul.

I don't mind being a healer for raids, but as a casual that is still a questionmark anyway. I heard paladins are the best single-target healers in the game. In any case, in my mind it is probably still easier to be a casual raid healer than a casual tank (see my other classes)? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Paladin are one fo the best healer in the game, even at Tier 3 they really start to shine. Priests, Druids, & Shamans are also great healers. they each have their respectable abilities, paladin are known for their fastest healing abilities.

Hence for leveling talents, I was looking to rush 11/0/0 in order to be able to start tanking right away, as consecration is a must!? Afterwards I really dont know. 20/31/0 seems to be a nice mix between tanking and healing, but slow for leveling? Protection is good/required for soloing instances I heard, e.g. Stoackades and DM-E?

11 into Holy for the AOE is always a must (in my book) as for the 20/31/0 Protection build, perhaps show me what you mean.

Would you recommend rather going Ret after 11/0/0 to make leveling easier and respecc to Prot once soloing dungeons becomes doable? I assume as long as you have consecration and gear sets, tanking/healing low-lvl dungeons is not an issue(?)

Any low level dungeon you can solo. Talent build wont matter. Now solo a dungeon as prot at the same level as you wont be possible.
As for gear I always had 3 sets (and never had space for anything else) one for healing, one for tanking, one for DPS. these sets stayed in my bank however unless I needed them.

The idea of ret is great for solo questing, so if you want to go ret enjoy it! its part of the leveling process!

I have the impression that for pvp the talents are not that crucial during leveling. BG are team and position driven and you anyway fill more of a support role. WPvP is rarely a fair fight and until Gnomish Death Ray is really important (which you dont get until later?)? Again please share you view.

PvP is useful, on PvP servers. I used to be on Anathema, and trust me, they were useful! Now that I am on Darrowshire, the need is obselete.

As for professions. I was thinking of trying out engi+mining, as many people advocate it. Howver, it looks really gimmicky for the most part. It also just costs gold instead of generating it(?). I fear that I end up starved for money. I guess my problem is that I don't know how to make money early on, other then from herbs/mining. Upside is that I don't have to worry about a mount, but I would still like to able to update gear. Perhaps give me some insights on choosing this path.

Engineering is a great profession to have as a paladin for both pvp or pve.
I have done discussions over this many times before... so you'll have to find those yon the forums.

The short version is My Paladin is my main. I am BS/ENG on my main, my Warrior (alt) has mining, while my druid (alt) is alch/Herb.

What do you think about going Alchemy/Herbs? It seems like a good compromise as buffs are nice and it generates some revenue. Or going Mining/BS into Mining/Engi later?

Considering I have one of every class, I have pretty much every profession I level with my alts, but I gave ya a quick sum of how I run my Pal/War/Dru since you have them too.

Thanks a lot in advance for your answers.

I hope I was able to break is down and help illuminate your questions. I will add I have written a tankadin gear guide, but I play mostly holy. if your looking to casually play and tank 5 mans, while healing for raids.... Try my 30/21/0 Talent Build

Hey, thanks for the reply!

4 hours ago, JCarrill0 said:

11 into Holy for the AOE is always a must (in my book) as for the 20/31/0 Protection build, perhaps show me what you mean.

I had this in mind (way to 60): http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#sxVuoxZVhtIxzmo

perhaps 4-5 points into reckoning instead of 1h-specialization.

5 hours ago, JCarrill0 said:

The idea of ret is great for solo questing, so if you want to go ret enjoy it! its part of the leveling process!

That means tanking 5mans is fine, even with something like 11/9/31? (I don't know if this is an actual build). When do Blessing of Sanc. and Holy Shield become important? According to your 30/21/0 Holy build, you basically don't need Holy Shield at all?!

PvP is useful, on PvP servers. I used to be on Anathema, and trust me, they were useful!

I'm not really the person looking for WPvP fights, but say I'd have to hold my own against the Horde. That sounds like 11/0/0 into ret. with engineering is mandatory?

Considering I have one of every class, I have pretty much every profession I level with my alts, but I gave ya a quick sum of how I run my Pal/War/Dru since you have them too.

The thing is, I am not really looking to level the other ones at the same time. So your way of splitting it up, even though that's quite nice, cannot apply to me. I'll just be playing on one Char with two main-profs.

I was considering Alchemy/Herbalism because it seems like a good compromise between money-making and usefullness during leveling. However, if I die multiple times due to ganks the potions are not really worth it. They work much better in a PvE environment.

Mining/BS like you initially did could be the solution as the gear is useful regardless.

For leveling and 60 AOE grinding use this builds:
Level 20: http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#sxxz
Divine Strength: Because there are very few +int mail/plate items while leveling. You can respec at 60 to Divine Intellect.
Spiritual Focus: Way more useful while soloing than Improved SotR.
Consecration: You need it for tanking 5-mans

Level 51: http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#sxxzZVhhIczyo
Blessings of Kings: No need. You will use Blessing of Wisdom and at lvl 41 Blessing of Sanctuary
Improved Hammer of Justice: Need a break while soloing for a heal or need to stun runners? This is it.
Anticipation: NEVER! While leveling you want to be crited because of Redoubt & Reckoning.
Toughness & Shield Specialization: Shift point between these talents as you will.
Reckoning: A MUST!. Sit/Reck combos are your best friends for dps/mana/heal (depends on your seal)

After lvl 51: Feel free to put your 9 points where ever you like. More dps/mana effeciency in the ret tree. More utilities in the prot tree. More healing in the holy tree.

And please read the really usefull tips from Saned https://forum.elysium-project.org/topic/48100-prot-pala-grinding-spots/
Prot only shines with the right gear (weapons, trinkets, enchantments)

The thing is, majority just wont accept anything non-optimal. They prefer easy and guaranted way(but still call themselves hardcore, lol). Doesnt matter how skilled you are or how much you invest in your character.

4 hours ago, Nepgear said:

The thing is, majority just wont accept anything non-optimal. They prefer easy and guaranted way(but still call themselves hardcore, lol). Doesnt matter how skilled you are or how much you invest in your character.

This is true. If one plans on raiding as ret/prot, expect to be denied from a good portion of the guilds. But there are still guilds that will take a ret/prot through, just not many.

10 hours ago, Smiter said:

This is true. If one plans on raiding as ret/prot, expect to be denied from a good portion of the guilds. But there are still guilds that will take a ret/prot through, just not many.

lolret

On 31.7.2017 at 1:28 PM, JanK said:

For leveling and 60 AOE grinding use this builds:
Level 20: http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#sxxz
Divine Strength: Because there are very few +int mail/plate items while leveling. You can respec at 60 to Divine Intellect.
Spiritual Focus: Way more useful while soloing than Improved SotR.
Consecration: You need it for tanking 5-mans

Level 51: http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#sxxzZVhhIczyo
Blessings of Kings: No need. You will use Blessing of Wisdom and at lvl 41 Blessing of Sanctuary
Improved Hammer of Justice: Need a break while soloing for a heal or need to stun runners? This is it.
Anticipation: NEVER! While leveling you want to be crited because of Redoubt & Reckoning.
Toughness & Shield Specialization: Shift point between these talents as you will.
Reckoning: A MUST!. Sit/Reck combos are your best friends for dps/mana/heal (depends on your seal)

After lvl 51: Feel free to put your 9 points where ever you like. More dps/mana effeciency in the ret tree. More utilities in the prot tree. More healing in the holy tree.

And please read the really usefull tips from Saned https://forum.elysium-project.org/topic/48100-prot-pala-grinding-spots/
Prot only shines with the right gear (weapons, trinkets, enchantments)

Thanks a lot for your corrections and explanations. I'll use that build, but probably just switching around 4/5 and 5/5 points in reckoning and one-hand-spec. Cheers also for pointing out the posts from Saned. I had read them roughly before, but not in detail. The picture is much clearer now.

For the record, I am running Mining/Engi now. Just got to 100 for the goggles. At least they give some stamina, so somewhat useful. Engi is easy to level if you focus on making blasting powder. The investment is minimal. Fill the gaps with other things that are not too expensive to make. Dont buy all the recipes, most of it is useless.

Thanks again for your help JCarill0 and Jank! Cya