Sign in to follow this  
Nirinia

Give a pala a taunt...

Quick theory crafting question, would a pala tank be viable as mt if they were given a taunt identical to the warrior and druid taunts?

5 minutes ago, Nirinia said:

Quick theory crafting question, would a pala tank be viable as mt if they were given a taunt identical to the warrior and druid taunts?

about 90% of the raid bosses in this game are immune to taunt so at best warriors having a taunt is a crutch nothing more

besides taunt is on the spell hit table anyway which is why warrior taunts resist most of the time

hence why Blizzard decided to make the Tier 3 Warrior set bonus +5% to Taunt and Challenging Shout since Four Horsemen encounter requires multiple Tank swaps in order to kill the encounter

point for point a Prot Paladin puts out more threat than a Prot Warrior anyway - especially if he puts up Judgement of Light on the boss - since all that +healing going out to all the melee adds threat to the Prot Paladin

14 minutes ago, Nirinia said:

So in your opinion its more of a gearing issue than a lack of taunt?

very much so since Paladins have to scrounge for offset tanking/defensive gear whereas Warriors have loads of it on Tier 1 and 2 and come Tier 3 have so much +def that Blizzard actually had to remove some for other stats instead as they were well over the def cap

on tank swap fights, yes taunts make things much simpler but on every other boss fight gearing is the challenge

6 hours ago, Nirinia said:

So in TBC we get a taunt ability, but it's not until WotLK before we get an actual taunt like warriors.

in Vanilla, it has been shown that holy Paladins can use Holy Shock as a Taunt, but is only viable in 5 mans.

On 08/22/2017 at 4:33 AM, Nirinia said:

how would a pala with taunt compare to a feral druid tho?

They would be more effective at mitigating damage and have an easier time managing multiple adds with an actual aoe spell. But that is mainly the fact that druids can't block or parry.

On 08/22/2017 at 8:25 AM, JCarrill0 said:

So in TBC we get a taunt ability, but it's not until WotLK before we get an actual taunt like warriors.

in Vanilla, it has been shown that holy Paladins can use Holy Shock as a Taunt, but is only viable in 5 mans.

In TBC paladins got a superior taunt that taunts 3 targets at once and worked the same way using a macro.

Holy shock is just an instant damage ability. You shouldn't need a taunt ability in 5 mans unless you go in with stupid people as you do have consecration and JoL to pad threat. Taunt is a crutch. Just like divine intervention, or rez.

I using blessing of protection as a form of taunt, if you're 2nd in threat just bop first in threat and boss will jump to you

7 hours ago, Ratziel said:

Only nubs -> Warrior need Taunt to hold threat... an with Naxxramas out they show us all their limits as tank...

Yep, gimmick fights that require more than 1 taunt a minute to swap are really the only fights that paladins can't main tank, theoretically. Not many raids are willing to risk having paladins as main tank for most content. Hell, killerduki had to make his own guild to do what he did.

18 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

Yep, gimmick fights that require more than 1 taunt a minute to swap are really the only fights that paladins can't main tank, theoretically. Not many raids are willing to risk having paladins as main tank for most content. Hell, killerduki had to make his own guild to do what he did.

10661930_10152381277015418_8988045747656

But i didn't create this Guild to do it ;)

/Kind regards Killerduki

6 hours ago, killerduki said:

10661930_10152381277015418_8988045747656

But i didn't create this Guild to do it ;)

/Kind regards Killerduki

I think I got schooled. What's going on in that photo? Well, other than the dead thaddius.

14 hours ago, Nirinia said:

@killerduki you wouldn't happen to have a screenshot from earlier in the fight would you?

Unfortunately not from earlier in the fight , but i got plenty different screenshot from different Naxx fights if that helps.

/Kind regards Killerduki

On 8/22/2017 at 5:33 AM, Nirinia said:

how would a pala with taunt compare to a feral druid tho?

Pally nor Druids can push crushing blows off the hit table from a boss.  This is the weakness they both share outside of talks of taunt and what not.

41 minutes ago, Undertanker said:

Pally nor Druids can push crushing blows off the hit table from a boss.  This is the weakness they both share outside of talks of taunt and what not.

But...

GOD WILLS IT!!!

Hey, I don't mind it.  I like a feral and a 30/21 tankadin.  To say they do not have practical application is wrong.   Though, God Forbid it will add a couple seconds to a boss kill time.

So far, I've been able to force crits by /sit to proc redoubt. That, plus holy shield has done a really good job of reducing my damage intake as its consistently 60% bonus block for 4 attacks. Although it does require a single crit, being so consistent my healers haven't had any problem keeping me alive. I don't have much defense gear so I don't know how the attack table works with /sit but it really does make certain fights simply easier.

Just now, Whitewolf said:

/sit works, at least in dungeons, so maybe?

true - 2h Reck tanking does actually work wonders :)

Just now, Theloras said:

true - 2h Reck tanking does actually work wonders :)

If the target's dead does it really matter if you're dead too?

1 hour ago, Whitewolf said:

If the target's dead does it really matter if you're dead too?

not for 40man raids - but it's great for 5man dungeons and DM East farming :)

taunt isn't main issue.

Main issue is that paladins dont have good enough(compared to warriors) tank gear, Last Stand, Shield Wall and def stance.

P.S. And rage>mana.

9 hours ago, DPS said:

taunt isn't main issue.

Main issue is that paladins dont have good enough(compared to warriors) tank gear, Last Stand, Shield Wall and def stance.

P.S. And rage>mana.

mana really isn't an issue with Judgement of Wisdom and Seal/Judgement of Righteousness