Sign in to follow this  
Mahtan

Predictions about population after TBC transfers

Nothing is set in stone and each variable can still be changed regarding Anathema, Darrowshire and Elysium going TBC at some point.

But lets assume they go TBC with optional transfers which are just a copy of your character on the new realm. Example: You got your 60 undead rogue "Nightstriker" on Anathema and when they open "Anathema TBC" you copy it to this new realm.

My question is: What do you think would happen with the old 1.12 realm(s) if they were still running? Which numbers would you expect?

As someone who observed the fate of many projects over the last ~6 years, I would argue that it's very hard to predict the outcome, but that makes it even more tempting for me to read about your predictions. ;)

My guess would be that the population would split rather evenly, reaching about 60-70% of the old pop on each realm after some time.

I don't think the drops will be too high, a lot if not most ppl - myself included - just want the vanilla experience and therefore will stay on vanilla only servers.

The progress servers will fill up pretty fast though I guess because as above mentioned 15-30% of players are in for reliving their old wow experience or they want to reenact it because they missed it and joined later, plus, Elysium has a very good reputation in the legacy community as the leading server and has proven that they can make it work and last - only good omens so far

Do you think people will still raidlog for AQ/Naxx on 60 realms and level their toon on 70 realms in addition to that or do you think these people will abandon their 60 realm acitivity for the most part?

I agree that people who are not interested in TBC will most likely continue to play like they did before.

TBC realms will be more popular as they're basically a fresh server for new players. The day 1 players only get the advantage of starting in the Outland.

As for numbers, there's still a variable to take into account: how many TBC cores will there be?

according to what i read here there were a lot of decent vanilla privateservers before, while the tbc experience wasnt really that great. 

if they release a good tbc realm i think most ppl will switch due to having "new" content, they havent played for years. especially if they played through all vanilla content on elysium / anathema / darow.

TBC is the last expansion that has never had a GOOD private server.

On top of the fact that people will get to use their 60s from Vanilla making the TBC server truly 100% Blizzlike, TBC will become the main server. Most people won't be able to play Vanilla forever, even if they think otherwise right now. Once you've been farming Naxx for 6+ months the server will become boring. Nothing left to look forward to but the next week of clearing Naxx.

WoW is based on there always being a "next" thing. The next thing after Naxx is TBC, and that is where most of this project will go. We've all played Vanilla servers from Scriptcraft, to ED, to Nost, to Elysium. Vanilla as an expansion is played out. Once Elysium finishes it Vanilla will start to fade.

TBC will be the new Vanilla.

On 3/9/2017 at 3:54 PM, Mahtan said:

I agree that people who are not interested in TBC will most likely continue to play like they did before.

A lot of players that used to say "I like vanilla more" eventually migrated to Warmane when it came out, either out of discontent for the situation in Anathema or general apetite for TBC.

Personally I think Anathema will end up with much less population. But you never know.

On 9/2/2017 at 6:45 PM, Mahtan said:

Nothing is set in stone and each variable can still be changed regarding Anathema, Darrowshire and Elysium going TBC at some point.

But lets assume they go TBC with optional transfers which are just a copy of your character on the new realm. Example: You got your 60 undead rogue "Nightstriker" on Anathema and when they open "Anathema TBC" you copy it to this new realm.

My question is: What do you think would happen with the old 1.12 realm(s) if they were still running? Which numbers would you expect?

As someone who observed the fate of many projects over the last ~6 years, I would argue that it's very hard to predict the outcome, but that makes it even more tempting for me to read about your predictions. ;)

When TBC release, Anathema and Darrow will die upon migration open.

/Kind regards Killerduki

I don't have much a prediction but all I hope is that they don't make the dreadful mistake Feenix made by funneling all their vanilla servers to TBC. Their pop evaporated. I like the majority of active players on there at the time were in there instead of other TBC realms because we wanted to play 1.12 vanilla. Their GMs felt differently, and well look at what's left of their server. Nothing. I'm all for TBC.. with optional transfer window. People are here because they want to play vanilla. If they want to progress naturally to TBC, awesome, let them do that. But a mandatory server update to TBC would kill Elysium just like it did Feenix.

Edited by lerkingpoo

My guess is, that the 1.12 population will drop dramatically. I think Elysium will be still fine and will have enough to keep the server alive. Except for Anathema.

I hope, they will merge Elysium + Anathema, to avoid that the server will die in the end.

19 hours ago, lerkingpoo said:

I don't have much a prediction but all I hope is that they don't make the dreadful mistake Feenix made by funneling all their vanilla servers to TBC. Their pop evaporated. I like the majority of active players on there at the time were in there instead of other TBC realms because we wanted to play 1.12 vanilla. Their GMs felt differently, and well look at what's left of their server. Nothing. I'm all for TBC.. with optional transfer window. People are here because they want to play vanilla. If they want to progress naturally to TBC, awesome, let them do that. But a mandatory server update to TBC would kill Elysium just like it did Feenix.

I just dont get some of that.

Why wouldnt anyone play tbc? Specially if ots a char you moved from vanilla and worked so hard meaning you can grow him further.

Its my first time playing wow and its a blast so i guess that could be one reason

Are we for sure going to be able to transfer our characters over to TBC or is this just pure speculation?

I think what may make more sense is to get some polling data on the subject.

Upgrading pre-existing servers to TBC and giving players the option to opt (transfer) out may provide for a better experience than simply having to transfer your players over to a TBC server IMO. This would resolve issues like name changes, exploiting transfers, etc. If you miss your window of opportunity, tough luck, gotta restart. 

This make a lot more sense than having to deal with clunky transfers to TBC and would better emulate the WoW experience.

27 minutes ago, vibitrary said:

Are we for sure going to be able to transfer our characters over to TBC or is this just pure speculation?

I think what may make more sense is to get some polling data on the subject.

Upgrading pre-existing servers to TBC and giving players the option to opt (transfer) out may provide for a better experience than simply having to transfer your players over to a TBC server IMO. This would resolve issues like name changes, exploiting transfers, etc. If you miss your window of opportunity, tough luck, gotta restart. 

This make a lot more sense than having to deal with clunky transfers to TBC and would better emulate the WoW experience.

Take two seconds to read the announcement