Sign in to follow this  
Geodragon

Can't launch WoW.exe

Not played in a few months. Tried yesterday, no launch, assumed the files were corrupt and downloaded new copy from the torrent link on the Play Now page of main site. Today same problem. Never had this issue before.

Deleted WDB and WTF folders, changed realmlist to elysium's as in "play now" page. running as admin. made sure the directory was not set to read only. Running on Win 7 64. The process does start in Task manager but for less that a second.

Had a look through this and other forums, No idea what to try next, advice please.

It happens the same for me, whenever I first launch WoW.exe it show as a running process on the TaskManager but it doesn't start, then I manually close the app and start it a second time and it works, by searching on a bunch of new and old forums, this was a known issue of the Vanilla Client (TBC and above didn't seem affected by this) without any fix for Windows 7 OSes, it doesn't happen on XP, never found a fix for this, only closing the app and starting it a second time...

Thanks for suggestions but no progress so far.

I have service pack 1 installed and have made an exception for wow.exe in my antivirus. Did a couple resets too.

As for the task manager thing, Wow.exe doesn't stay launched long enough to manually close it, only appears of process list for less than a second. As in its starting up and immediately closing. Haven't seen anyone else reporting that yet.

What directory are the files located in? i.e., are they below Program Files or Program Files (x86)? Do you have User Account Control turned on?

Try disabling Aero. (You can have Win7 do this automatically by changing the following property for Wow.exe: set "Disable desktop composition" to on.)

Updates. After disabling Aero (disable desktop comp) when I try to launch a black window pops up behind everything else, then closes. this is both as admin and not. So progress I suppose.

The directory is not under program files. right now "C:Games/Wow/world of warcraft 1.12"

At a total loss as what to do aside from re-installing Win 7 or duel booting another OS that will work on 2nd HDD. Currently downloading different torrent of 1.12.1 to see if that changed anything.

Sadly none of the suggestions worked for me. Been meaning to re-install Win7 soon anyway so I just did that cause why not, now it works.

Still no idea what happened. Most likely some piece of software changed something I didn't know about.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hope one of them works for the next guy.