Sign in to follow this  
BoldAsLove

Completely new to WoW - observations

Level 13 Shadow Priest taking over da wurld

First of all ty Elysium for having me and gl every1

I'm from a different MMO that is heavily grinding oriented.  I played a vanilla server of that and am currently #1 rank of my job in it.  Just a grinding mage.. starting WoW with an IRL friend who is a veteran to the franchise as I'm sure most of you all are.  He's been helping me.  Going to use this thread to post my observations as a new player - maybe some of you will get a kick out of it.  If this in the wrong section then mods please move it, ty.  Point of emphasis: This server and these 13 levels so far are my only reference point of what WoW is atm.

To anyone else new: GET QUESTIE and explore addons!

Observations:

General:

WoW is stressful - everything runs into your face all the time it keeps you on your toes
WoW has low spawn rates / no grinding- as someone who is used to grinding for 20ish hours at a time selling leech or just doing my thing, WoW has low spawn rates that make grinding impossible. 
WoW has a herky-jerky pace to it - You go from killing, stop killing, travel, switch quest, route quests, check map.  I'm used to packing inventory on 3 diff chars, logging them all at the same map, and camping out a map for several hours which is a lot different.  
WoW keyboard settings stretch my hand - I'm always using different hand positions?

So far using hardly any potions (Then again I'm a priest) - having to stand still when using pots is really weird.  No auto-loot is really weird, same for no auto-pot.  If I run out of mana I don't get autopot to boost me I have to be careful and then get mana somehow and make it work.  I'm used to autopot and then attacking again instead.

Addons: Are so gangster!!  I got a ton but so many were out of date.  I have a bunch that I don't know what they do.  I have about 6 or 7 I can't believe I went even a moment without (mostly priest things).  For nonpriests, Questie is essential!  I went 12 confusing levels without it.  For priests get click heal if you're new to WoW like me - it helps when you fuck up using f buttons or tab to who needs heal.  

As a priest:

So far pretty fun and a good learning experience since a lot of mistakes are so easy to make and the "ugh im so stupid" feeling kicks in a lot.  It's been good training I think.

I did an instance yesterday in some lava pit, other than the extreme heat it wasn't so bad.  Without clickheal I bet everyone would have died so fast lol

Didn't realize shield was crucial until I investigated many near insta-deaths without it.

solo'ing felt cool at first, then sort of lame, and now i noticed its just a different experience and i welcome it as much as partying

30 min buff times compared to every 180 seconds is soooo nice.  

Socially:

Everyone seems to do their own thing and the maps are so big it makes the game feel impersonal at times compared to other MMOs that feel much more close quarters or the characters are emphasized on the screen more.  I think this effects the social aspect but 1 chat is boomin and same for this cool guild I'm in but that's not my thing.  I like chillen w/strangeres + randos and that feels rare so far but it could be me.  

Surprised there's no custom group chats or buddy chat like there's guild chat but not many other shared chats that are customizable or through buddylists or anything.

People are people - not much to say about that and thanks to generous people, friends, and haters.

Addiction: Hasn't kicked in for me but my friend is feenin hard as a return player from the golden ages.  For me its not exactly fluid yet and its a lot of small battles and learning so sometimes I need to take breaks.  When I catch a good rhythm or I'm chillen I usually play for what feels like a short while until I realize how the time flies.

Overall (so far):  It's so different from anything else I've played as mainly a console gamer (never had the PC for masterrace) and someone who hasn't gotten into many 3d MMOs.  There are tons of different ways to maneuver the character which is probably the most fun part to me.  I wish there were more spawn or ways to grind since I don't always enjoy questing.  I think its really fun and a new challenge.  Doing my best to keep an open mind and just enjoy it.  Just a heads up: I won't understand any of your references to retail WoW or bosses or anything - I don't know any names of stuff or what anything is ROFL.  This server and these 13 levels so far are my only reference point of what WoW is atm.

Thanks again everyone for having me.

Questie... Maybe it's an old player that knows almost every quest by heart after 12 years ramble, but I'd still advise you to get rid of it.

I can understand how jumping from years of grinding mobs to quests can feel uncomfortable, but WoW is not about the grind. For me at least.

You have a veteran by your side, you have the whole world to explore. I'd say make it a journey and make it your own instead of following the arrows. After all, a first time happens only one time.

Another thing I wanted to say - and it's probable too advanced stuff for a player that just beat his first 13 levels in the game - click heal is not the best option. Good party/raid frames and mouseover is. It will require some macrocommands writing, but if you have some exp with programming it shouldn't be a problem. Just keep that in mind in case you will decide to stick around in improve your healing experience ;)

It all about the grind once 60, if you enjoy grinding 20hours a day, then get to 60

you'll spend most of your time grinding gears, gold and consumable at 60,

there always something to do in vanilla, just gotta look

You can make a custom chat group, there may be a way to limit who can join but you can typically type /join <name> and most don't use these so its fine, for instance the dps group of my old guild used /fbballsdeep etc.

The starting zones are much different than most the world, once you get to Stranglethorn Vale you'll get a large influx of horde and alliance players, making for lots of encounters that can go anyway. 

Auto-loot is in the interface panel I believe, I typically have shift loot as auto-loot. Grinding will come in the levels at first, then professions, followed by reputation & generally currency.

No autoloot in vanilla and ofc no such stupid thing like autopot, arrows and  autorun to the next target (modern mmo usually cater much about carebears).  And yes, get at least questie, cartographer and atlas.

Цитата

Level 13 Shadow Priest 

13 lvl is nothing, wait at least for 30 lvl and  Stranglethorn Vale( russians call it Vietnam). Also be aware: not many guilds want a shadow priest in pve raids, prepare to be asked to heal, not dps.

Цитата

I'm used to packing inventory on 3 diff chars, logging them all at the same map

Multiboxing is not allowed here, careful.

One big advice: ONLY INSTALL ADDONS WHICH YOU KNOW.

Some addons and setting changes can get you banned like AUX. It isnt bannable in itself but you can set it to buy stuff immediately without further player input. That is considered botting and is bannable. So know what your addons do!

There is autorun in wow in fact earlier mmos had this feature also. It's always my first mousebind that i set. quality of life mechanic. I wonder how players don't use this.

On 19.9.2017 at 5:04 PM, BoldAsLove said:

Just a heads up: I won't understand any of your references to retail WoW or bosses or anything - I don't know any names of stuff or what anything is ROFL.

Yeah, for new people like us it's pretty hard. Everyone knows where to go and what to do and you are mostly left behind.

You can grind, maybe not by standing in one location, but if you walk around just killing wildlife and anything you see you can grind :)

I never play wow and i was afraid of playing tank^^

Now i start a rogue but meh ... do i have a chance in groups as noob tank or am i just anoying then? xd

Edited by Dens88

10 hours ago, Dens88 said:

I never play wow and i was afraid of playing tank^^

Now i start a rogue but meh ... do i have a chance in groups as noob tank or am i just anoying then? xd

Ask a knowledgeable player if he take the role of group lead and mark stuff with raid/group markings. The guy who marks even can mark the own group and can decide to mark one guy which you are supposed to follow. You now see where to go and what to attack. Only TELL people that you are new. People will only get mad when you act like you know it all and then fail miserably. Range pull more often than not if you arent sure, pull back abit, apply sunder armor evenly throughout the group and then on the main killtarget. In low level dungeons its really no rocked science.

15 minutes ago, bravoattack said:

kill every Allie you see - slaughter the lowbies - drink their blood and listen to their Lamentations 

This thread isn't titled "How to become a lowlife scrub", dude.

I love posts like these! 

The grind will come as people have pointed out and as for pots, you don't have to be standing still to use them. :)

Looking forward to more observations OP!