Sign in to follow this  
timk

Best money making professions on Elysium?

Way back in 2006, after seeing the South Park episode, I began playing WoW, and after some time, I realized that Mining / Skinning were the way to make money on the Andorhal realm, before it became a ghost town.  Once Burning Crusade came out, I switched to Mining / Engineering when I hit level 70 to make my own Turbo Roflcopter.

My main has been Mining / Engineering ever since, and always made good money.

Now that I am on Elysium and at level 16, Mining / Skinning doesn't pay anywhere near what I am used to seeing.  A 20 stack of copper isn't even 1 gold, and Skinning is far worse for selling on AH.  I figured I would swap Skinning for Engineering eventually, but with so many people on Elysium, it takes a long time to get even 1 20 stack of copper ore, too many people ganking my mining nodes.

Any suggestions for professions?  Got to make the money!

Edited by timk

Herbalism will be more profitable than Mining because the demand for raiding consumables far exceeds the demand for ores/bars/arcane crystals.

There is no "best money making"; there is only "knowing how to make money".  As a humblebrag example, my high level characters are 39 (on two accounts) and I have ~7000G between both.  (No, I won't share all my secrets. but way back when I did resell fuckloads of copper, but only until I had enough bank to use that gold to make more gold elsewhere.)

You're level 16.  There's not much money to be made at that level, and there is no money to be made in Engineering.  So if your goal is to "make money", then forget Engineering until you're Level 60 (or Level 40 after you've gotten your mount, at a minimum).

Herbalism/Mining > Herbalism/Skinning > Mining/Skinning

If you have Mining, sell copper, iron, mithril, and thorium.  Vendor tin, silver, gold, and truesilver.

If you have Herbalism, vendor Peacebloom, Silverleaf, Mageroyal, and Bruiseweed.  Sell everything else on the AH.

If you have Skinning, vendor Scraps, Light Leather, and Medium Leather.  Sell everything else on the AH.  If you have an a Leatherworking alt (and since you're 16, you probably dont), there are some leatherworking crafts that vendor for more than the cost of Light Leather (well, did -- but when Anathema was at its peak). 

Once you're Level 40 and you have your mount, you can potentially make more money with Alchemy or Enchanting (keep Herbalism).  But these two professions will require considerable upfront costs (Enchanting moreso than Alchemy), so it will be a long while until you're making good money (again, moreso Enchanting than Alchemy).  Alternatively, make a Level 10 alt and learn Enchanting.  Send all your green junk to your Enchanting alt to disenchant (you can disenchant items up to ... level 50ish) with ~100 enchanting.  Hoard the mats for your own enchants or sell them.

Assuming you're not playing a Paladin or Warlock, you will easily have 100G by Level 40 and should have no great difficulty getting your epic mount when you're Level 60.

Copper ore is good starting money in your pockets.Later you can farm Silver ores in Ashenvale and sell for like 2 g for a stack.Not too bad dont you think ?You just need time to spend on your professions too,between your leveling.

I imagined it would be hard to farm mines or herbs due to the server's high population so I just took Enchanting/Tailoring as a Druid. Until level 16, I made some amount of silver from the Linen bag's I have made but that was all. Since the inflation in the realm is low I still expect to make enough money to suffice myself out of these professions.

I've got about 8 gold so far at level 17.  I put everything on AH except the really useless crap, which goes to vendors.  I haven't mined much, people keep ganking my nodes, so there's not much ore, I'm only about 55 in Mining so far.  I was in an area of Westfall the other day where I had 3 green knives drop off Defias people in a half hour, those were 30 silver each on AH.  I was Skinning too, but the leather was going so cheaply it wasn't worth the hassle of the extra mouse clicks and time.

In the real WoW, I used to always smelt ore into bars to put on AH, but here, ore goes for about the same price, so I usually just put it on as ore.  I guess people would prospect it, but didn't Prospecting come out as part of Jewelcrafting in much later expansions of WoW, which we don't have here?

Edited by timk

Yeah, Prospecting for Gems was part of Jewelcrafting, that we don't get until the Exodar crashes off Kalimdor.

The reason for selling Ore instead of Bars is because you can raise Mining skill by Smelting (some) Ores, which allows people to stay in cities advancing their Mining Skill without having to go out and find the stuff themselves ... you know ... the LAZINESS reason.