Roxanne Flowers

Macros that adjust Buff Ranks due to Target Level

So over in the Wowwiki on their Useful Macros page, there are instructions for writing buff macros that will automatically cast the appropriate Rank of a buff spell depending on the target's Level.

You'll need to target the person you want to buff first. Here's an example for a priest to use on an English language server. You have to alter the spell name according to the spell you want to cast and change i=6 by the number of ranks you currently have for that spell; note that it should all be on one line:

/script Pre="Power Word: Fortitude(Rank " Sp={1,2,14,26,38,50} if (UnitLevel("target") ~= nil and UnitIsFriend("player","target")) then for i=6,1,-1 do if (UnitLevel("target") >= Sp) then CastSpellByName(Pre..i..")") return end end end

Now, what I take from this macro is that it will "automagically" cast the highest rank of buff spell on the target that the target can accept, provided that they're a friendly Player (of course).  In this case for Power Word: Fortitude shown here, those ranks to levels correspondences are:

• Level 1 = Rank 1
  • Levels 2-13 = Rank 2
  • Levels 14-25 = Rank 3
  • Levels 26-37 = Rank 4
  • Levels 38-49 = Rank 5
  • Levels 50-60 = Rank 6

I would like to be able to create (or find, if someone can point me to it) a repository of macros for each of the buff spells that each vanilla class can cast, either on themselves or onto others, that have minimum level restrictions built into them.  For this, I will need to know the minimum level breakpoints for each buff spell's ranks in order to be able modify the above shown macro correctly for that specific spell in the list below.  Those buffs which do not have minimum level requirements on targets will be removed so as to keep the list of macros in this post updated with useful information.  If I've missed any, let me know so I can add those skills to the master list to have macros written for them once the minimum levels for each rank are made available.  The intent of this posting is to have a copy/paste reference for the community of macros for being able to cast a max rank buff spell onto friendly targets dependent upon the level of your target when casting.

Druid
Thorns (8 ranks)
Mark of the Wild (7 ranks)
Rejuvination (11 ranks)
Regrowth (9 ranks)

Mage
Arcane Intellect (5 ranks)
Amplify Magic (4 ranks)
Dampen Magic (5 ranks)

Paladin
Blessing of Wisdom (6 ranks)
Blessing of Protection (3 ranks)
Blessing of Sanctuary (4 ranks)
Blessing of Sacrifice (2 ranks)
Blessing of Might (7 ranks)

Priest
Power Word: Fortitude (6 ranks)

/script Pre="Power Word: Fortitude(Rank " Sp={1,2,14,26,38,50} if (UnitLevel("target") ~= nil and UnitIsFriend("player","target")) then for i=6,1,-1 do if (UnitLevel("target") >= Sp) then CastSpellByName(Pre..i..")") return end end end

Power Word: Shield (10 ranks)
Divine Spirit (4 ranks)
Renew (9 ranks)

I get an error when I try to change it for my druid. 

[string "Pre="Mark of the Wild(Rank " Sp={1,2,14,26,..."]:1: attempt to compare table with number

This is the macro as I edited it

/script Pre="Mark of the Wild(Rank " Sp={1,2,14,26,38,50} if (UnitLevel("target") ~= nil and UnitIsFriend("player","target")) then for i=5,1,-1 do if (UnitLevel("target") >= Sp) then CastSpellByName(Pre..i..")") return end end end

Also, the post above with BestBuff

You enable it via /bestbuff in game. 

It brings up a dialog box where you have to click the "enable" option. After that it works by looking at an editable level list. 

Edited by preezerk

On 10/14/2017 at 12:20 AM, Roxanne Flowers said:

Okay, for those of us who are (obviously) not familiar with this add-on, what does it do and how does it work (under the hood)?

I just tried this addon today and it works very nice!

Just enable it and then just use the highest rank buff, it will automagically downscale to the right rank of that buff for your target.

So BestBuff entered directly in my list of essential Vanilla WoW addons.