thealbinopanda

Spectrum Popo Rolled Up

My apartment utility comes with wifi under the company Spectrum and they gave a notice about me using a WoW private server and warned us about infringement rights can happen if i continue to use it. How do people play for so long without getting noticed? I really enjoy classic WoW and would like some help to be a ghost to these rats. I asked my roommate to forward the email, damn lazy bastard didn't so if the email will help to solve the issue, and i read it, i could be more specific. I dont know if Blizzard contacted them or Spectrum detected the private server being used under their service.

Interesting. Not the first time this happens to someone. 

As for me, apparently my russian internet provider just doesn't really give a shit.

15 hours ago, Nelythia said:

Stop seeding it in the torrent and ignore it.

What do you mean? 

Update: I read the email, they were contacted by an agent of the product, so i guess Blizzard found out? 

Just don't get a free one. I'm using one called Freedome.

Edit: Which is not actually free.

Edited by Zazabi

2 minutes ago, Zazabi said:

Just don't get a free one. I'm using one called Freedome.

I've found a post on the forums that its from downloading the file with the word "World of Warcraft", that could've been it. And I was seeding it, which I've stopped and deleted. Also that these email threats are never followed through. So if it is from just downloading and not playing on Elysium, which was not in the email, I should be fine?

6 minutes ago, Zazabi said:

If Nelythia's post is anything to go by, then yes. :)

If my roommate gets another notice, Ill just say i was hacked and have no idea what they're talking about, i play ESO lol Thank you though!

Ok the thing is that you downloaded the client. Even a 1 time download can get you that notice. 

Playing the server wont. You should delete the torrent from the program you are using (torrents work peer2peer if you have the torrent in the program it will seed it for other people). 

And that is why they send you the notice.

I'm on Spectrum as well and have been playing for 2 months without receiving any such notice.

As others have said, it's more than likely from when you were pulling down the client via Torrent. While it might be considered "bad manners" to the torrent community, the best thing to do is stop seeding as soon as a download finishes. 

To the site mods & Gods... Would it be difficult to have the client on Usenet in addition to Torrents? While I'm sure there ARE copies of the client on usenet, who knows if they are legit or riddled with malware. A choice for downloading methods would be nice.

(For those that don't know... Usenet servers are mostly private, so unlike Torrents, you're downloading the files from a more centralized location. They also mask the data being transmitted, so your ISP won't know what it is you're downloading.)

Edited by Guardian452
Added blurb short about Usernet

On 10/9/2017 at 9:51 AM, Turnip said:

Ok the thing is that you downloaded the client. Even a 1 time download can get you that notice. 

Playing the server wont. You should delete the torrent from the program you are using (torrents work peer2peer if you have the torrent in the program it will seed it for other people). 

And that is why they send you the notice.

Thank you for this, I've been playing again awhile ago when i learned playing on private servers is not illegal!(:

On 10/9/2017 at 11:02 AM, Guardian452 said:

I'm on Spectrum as well and have been playing for 2 months without receiving any such notice.

As others have said, it's more than likely from when you were pulling down the client via Torrent. While it might be considered "bad manners" to the torrent community, the best thing to do is stop seeding as soon as a download finishes. 

To the site mods & Gods... Would it be difficult to have the client on Usenet in addition to Torrents? While I'm sure there ARE copies of the client on usenet, who knows if they are legit or riddled with malware. A choice for downloading methods would be nice.

(For those that don't know... Usenet servers are mostly private, so unlike Torrents, you're downloading the files from a more centralized location. They also mask the data being transmitted, so your ISP won't know what it is you're downloading.)

That would be nice to have a secured place to get the download but hey, its all good now!

A new problem has arisen in this matter: Spectrum is eye fucking on the WoW i downloaded and keep sending emails. My roommate called them and said no one is allowed to play the downloaded WoW, like they're watching the activity?! They need to fuck off and stop spying on me. Unfortunately, retail WoW does not have a realmlist.wtf file anymore. Any ideas?

31 minutes ago, Nelythia said:

Ignore it and stop seeding the torrents, or just switch ISP. Threaten them to switch ISP, they will leave you alone.

I stopped seeding it awhile ago. And the issue with switching ISP is that Spectrum comes with the apartment utility xD /kms

3 hours ago, thealbinopanda said:

A new problem has arisen in this matter: Spectrum is eye fucking on the WoW i downloaded and keep sending emails. My roommate called them and said no one is allowed to play the downloaded WoW, like they're watching the activity?! They need to fuck off and stop spying on me. Unfortunately, retail WoW does not have a realmlist.wtf file anymore. Any ideas?

That's weird that they would keep sending emails about it. I'm not using any kind of VPN or anything else to hide my playtime and I've never gotten a thing from them.

You could try using a VPN... that would keep them from watching your network traffic.

You're sure not seeding it anymore? Unless you use the Torrent program for other downloads, I'd completely uninstall it. I haven't torrented in years and had to go find one just to download WoW.

14 hours ago, Guardian452 said:

That's weird that they would keep sending emails about it. I'm not using any kind of VPN or anything else to hide my playtime and I've never gotten a thing from them.

You could try using a VPN... that would keep them from watching your network traffic.

You're sure not seeding it anymore? Unless you use the Torrent program for other downloads, I'd completely uninstall it. I haven't torrented in years and had to go find one just to download WoW.

I dont even know where to begin looking for VPN. Yes, I did use uTorrent to get WoW. I stopped the seeding, deleted the torrent from the uTorrent library. If they can see the torrented WoW being played, what source do you suggest finding WoW so that they won't detect it? I also heard a proxy could work but I've never delved into that.

They send out these emails to anyone who downloads pretty much anything from a torrent. Now that you are done with the download, I would delete the torrent program. 

Spectrum can not track what you are doing by playing Elysium. 

On 10/13/2017 at 9:44 AM, Vartonis said:

They send out these emails to anyone who downloads pretty much anything from a torrent. Now that you are done with the download, I would delete the torrent program. 

Spectrum can not track what you are doing by playing Elysium. 

They can't see that the WoW client is open? And thank you, i have uninstalled uTorrent.