Sign in to follow this  
Marcelo20XX

Just plain bad RNG

I know MMORPGs and generally speaking RPGs and specially Blizzard ones relies heavily on RNG, from the countless Mephisto runs I made back in the day to gear properly to nightmarish Baal runs I made to finally call it quits after eleven years or so...but today...oh my boy today...

I think I topped bad luck or should I say an excersice of patience. I am talking about the enchant "Crusader", every vanilla warrior's sweet dream, to finally enchant that badass weapon you got from running that Raid you have been working for quite some time...

My story is no different, after I was trying to farm some Runecloth and upping my 2H swords skill by pure luck (you see the irony in this) I stumped against a Taran Icebreaker

In awe I immediately equipped my first purple only to later discover that it went all downhill from there, next step was upping (ugh!) my 2H Maces Skill from 0 to 300 to start inflicting some pain, then I get greedy and put my focus on Crusader, and that was the reason of this post. At first I looked on the database for my chances against the drop, then I gathered the necessary information of which mobs to farm, naturally I joyed at the though that it would be an easy task seeing as how the mobs were plain standard non-elites mobs. Sure I was worried at the very low chance to drop and also because it was only this Spellbinder mob which there are only 8 or 9 of them in all the WORLD...

3457 Kills after and my mind totally numbed I decide to recheck my sources and indeed the percentage of drop was very low to be more precise at 0.18%, but I never imagined that after this so many kills the damn formula wouldn't drop...

Finally, as all things had to come to an end an by the time I reached 3825 Kills according to my mob counter addon I managed to put and end to this hunt, what was the worst bad RNG you experienced? for me it was this formula farming...

2.JPG

1.JPG

I started raiding ZG in retail with my guild when it was released in September of 2005. I maybe missed a few runs during vanilla but I was in school so I was able to raid consistently. Never saw a Zulian Tiger. After vanilla passed and we got TBC, I never stopped farming ZG with a few friends, 2 lockouts per week. I continued doing this through WotLK and eventually Cataclysm. Thought I would inevitably get it, all I have to do is be persistent! Well, after 6 full years of farming ZG tiger boss, my dreams were shattered on April 26th, 2011. cataclysm patch 4.1 brought revamped versions of Zul'Gurub, and Zul'Aman raids. Initially I was ecstatic! Until I learned the mount was to be removed- lost to history.

6 full years of Zul'gurub lockouts. Let's be gentle and assume I missed about 50 resets in that 6 year period, due to real life circumstances or prior obligations. Minus those 50 resets I still farmed ZG over 540 times in 6 years. And never once saw a Swift Zulian Tiger.

(Saw 3 raptors in that time, but as I asked my friends to reserve the tiger, the raptors all went to them. RIP me.)

Hmm interesting, this beat my story by far, some really awful bad RNG you had here my friend...

On a side note, I remember on retail while trying to get my Rogue's Tier Chestpiece from Kaelthas, Ashes of Alar dropped then to the excitement of the group we followed with the accustomed rolling and I beat everyone rolls on it, needless to say I was savoring my new mount when the Raid Leader began telling us his story about how he wanted the mount and how he was practically farming the instance in the hopes one day it will drop, then he asked me nicely if I would pass on it but I politely declined his offer...

After a brief moment of awkward silence he Master Looted the mount and logout, never again would I see the mount dropped until I quit retail for good...

22 minutes ago, Marcelo20XX said:

Master Looted the mount and logout

I hate this kind of person.

Sorry that happened to you. Although my luck was awful when it comes to Zulian Tiger, I've been fairly fortunate when it comes to other rare mounts. I got Ashes of A'lar during BC as a reward for being a loyal main tank. Other low droprate mounts I've farmed I got pretty quick. Never decided to farm for Baron Rivendare's until WotLK but I got it in like 10 runs or something like that. Took less than a whole afternoon :D