Exude

Complete Newbie

Hello, I've tried WoW a couple times in the past few months but I always felt I kinda miss the genuine WoW experience that most veterans talk about and everything just seemed so daunting.  So I was happy to stumble across Elysium to get that experience for myself.  I planned on playing a Druid to try a little bit of each role, although I am interested in learning to tank.  Any tips or suggestions for a newbie would be helpful. 

Look up a guide for the class you plan to play. Planning out what talents to play and how you would like to play your class helps a lot in the long run. There is a lot of helpful info in the Class subforum. Right off the bat I can tell you late game you are gonna be funneled into healing class. Most raiders want warrior tanks and druids tend to be forced to focus healing but druid tanks are still somewhat viable. I don't personally play druid so I can't give the best specifics. Save as much money as you can for the lvl 40 mount as well. Only buy skills and spells that are absolutely necessary. Questing is your best friend for leveling. Only run dungeons pre 55+ to complete quests and move on. Its ok if you don't have the best gear from each dungeon, gaining lvls will get you something to replace that gear later on. Other than my random tips; enjoy the game and take your time. It can be rough if you are trying to rush lvling and just grind. Good luck out there. XD

Azeroth is vast, and there's a lot of content for you to enjoy. If you're talking about casually tanking dungeons you'll have a blast (at least I did) as a bear tank. Raid content may prove more challenging, though. Also, finding a raid group willing to take a bear as something other than an off-tank may be exceedingly difficult. As someone who really enjoyed playing a bear just before TBC dropped (I only did 5 mans before the xpac, raids had no interest in taking an under geared bear), we had a lot of issues. It was hard to find +defense gear & good resistance gear, no parry, our main threat generator was based on our swing timer, we had to use a talent point to get charge, and my personal pet peeve: we had no shield or shield-like mechanics which made us very susceptible to crits. To make up for these things we had awesome dodge, massive health pools, and a metric butt-ton of armor. Still, the damage we took could be very bursty and if you got unlucky you could burn through that health pool instantly while tanking multiple mobs. I never had threat issues, their damage, as tanks, I thought was good, and most importantly it was rewarding when you pulled off awesome moves like Stun>Rebirth>Tranq>SS Bearform. I also think they were still quite viable as off-tanks in a raid environment. These are all just opinions and my experiences may differ from the current build since I started so late.

JgpzIre.png

Thanks for all of the feedback.  I'm thinking for switching to Warrior and leveling up as Arms now so I can actually tank.

Hi Exude, 

Know that leveling a Warrior is a bit of a slog. Make sure you're upgrading your weapon regularly. Stats on it aren't nearly as important as how hard it hits. Also, you can use that 2h, but give Fury a try. There's a neat way to abuse enrage by pulling a mob, and sitting down for a guaranteed crit on you. That buffs your damage a great deal and you can take it out with relative ease. 

Here's a few relevant tips:

• While questing or adventuring, take one thing at a time. You'll find you're a bit rage starved until about level 30 or so. This can prove to be quite the pain in the ass. 
  • When you hit 60, know that you're not going to be main tanking anytime soon. Tanking as a whole is a tricky beast, so I would recommend doing some dungeons (even as arms or fury) to cut your teeth on and get used to tanking. Some annoying things to note is the range on taunt, and your weakness as an AOE tank. Thunderclap is your friend as well as Demo Shout. 2 sunders, tab to the next target usually works pretty well as a main source of threat. 
  • Mark your targets! Keybind the raid marker icons (you can use these in parties of 5 even) and tell your party the kill order. I typically use: Skull > X > Star > Moon, where Moon is sheeped or otherwise CC'd if applicable. Try not to take more than 2-3 mobs at a time in those dungeons. Rolling crushing blows really suck and there's nothing you can really do about them until cap. 
  • Make a Priest friend around your level. Trust me, finding a healer for a dungeon is just about as hard as finding a Tank for a dungeon. Since you're new, you're going to want to favor Priests instead of the hybrid healers since they're stronger. Still, that's not to say you can't find a good Druid/Shaman/Paladin who knows what's up. Bottom line, have someone you trust heal you. 

Good luck! 

4 hours ago, Alderas said:

Hi Exude, 

Know that leveling a Warrior is a bit of a slog. Make sure you're upgrading your weapon regularly. Stats on it aren't nearly as important as how hard it hits. Also, you can use that 2h, but give Fury a try. There's a neat way to abuse enrage by pulling a mob, and sitting down for a guaranteed crit on you. That buffs your damage a great deal and you can take it out with relative ease. 

Here's a few relevant tips:

• While questing or adventuring, take one thing at a time. You'll find you're a bit rage starved until about level 30 or so. This can prove to be quite the pain in the ass. 
  • When you hit 60, know that you're not going to be main tanking anytime soon. Tanking as a whole is a tricky beast, so I would recommend doing some dungeons (even as arms or fury) to cut your teeth on and get used to tanking. Some annoying things to note is the range on taunt, and your weakness as an AOE tank. Thunderclap is your friend as well as Demo Shout. 2 sunders, tab to the next target usually works pretty well as a main source of threat. 
  • Mark your targets! Keybind the raid marker icons (you can use these in parties of 5 even) and tell your party the kill order. I typically use: Skull > X > Star > Moon, where Moon is sheeped or otherwise CC'd if applicable. Try not to take more than 2-3 mobs at a time in those dungeons. Rolling crushing blows really suck and there's nothing you can really do about them until cap. 
  • Make a Priest friend around your level. Trust me, finding a healer for a dungeon is just about as hard as finding a Tank for a dungeon. Since you're new, you're going to want to favor Priests instead of the hybrid healers since they're stronger. Still, that's not to say you can't find a good Druid/Shaman/Paladin who knows what's up. Bottom line, have someone you trust heal you. 

Good luck! 

In your opinion is DW fury ok to lvl with? I seem to remember 1h weapons dropping more often from dungeons and more quests had 1handers as a reward than a 2hander. 

If you asking reasons to play one class or another, maybe you are not interested in playing the game ? Because diversity and unbalanced nature of a game is what makes the game special. Dont listen anyone, play how YOU want to play, you will get much more satisfaction from acting this way, and satisfaction is why we play games.

Ohh how much satisfaction he would have gotten, after he spent all that time leveling a druid, in hopes of end game tanking. Shame on all thous people who advised him to roll a warrior tank, and gave him good tips,just imagine all that satisfaction he is gonna miss now, all because of you.

On 11/10/2017 at 4:36 PM, Narshe said:

In your opinion is DW fury ok to lvl with? I seem to remember 1h weapons dropping more often from dungeons and more quests had 1handers as a reward than a 2hander. 

Hi Narshe, 

Sorry for the late reply here. I would focus on 2h simply because when you Dual Wield you suffer a large penalty to hit, and I doubt you'll be finding +hit gear while leveling. More so, your flurry really makes a difference with slow 2handers so give it a try! 

Keep in mind, anything is possible man. Play what makes you happy, but those are my 2 cents in the cup :) 

Lots of great advice in this thread, but if you do decide to tank there are some nuisances I'd like to mention. First, taunt does not give you a set amount of threat (or if it does, it's very little) it puts you at the top of that creatures threat list. So if you do taunt, follow up with something strong like Shield Block+Revenge or Shield Bash.

Thunderclap is your friend as well as Demo Shout. 2 sunders, tab to the next target usually works pretty well as a main source of threat. 

Negative, Ghostrider. Demo Shout and Thunder clap are great for reducing damage taken (except that Thunderclap can only be used in Battle Stance. [See - Stance Dance]) Battle Shout is actually a great way to produce AOE threat if I recall correctly. That's because buff spells also produce threat, and rather than hitting each enemy with a debuff, you're getting threat on every enemy for every ally you've buffed.

However, this is my first time playing a Warrior so I looked it up and it is mentioned on wowwiki (for whatever that's worth). 

Before Patch 2.0.1, Battle Shout generated 55 threat for every party member who received the buff. This made it better than Demoralizing Shout for gathering groups of mobs for AoE. It was also used frequently in Phase 1 of the Nefarian fight in BWL.

However, as of patch 2.0.1, Battle Shout has been 'fixed'. It now generates about 50 threat total, no matter how many party members got the buff. The old days of Battle Shout tanking are quite over.

The threat generated is not restricted by range (unlike Demoralizing Shout), and is divided among all the mobs that have the warrior on their hate list.

PS: I also forgot to mention that part of the reason Thunderclap doesn't produce as much threat is because you get a positive percentage of threat in Defensive Stance but a negative percentage of threat in Battle & Berzerker.

Edited by Creamtruck