Sign in to follow this  
Zanza

[Guide] Hunter Leveling & Pre-Raid BiS / Enchants

Introduction:

Hello, and welcome to this guide which aims to giving you most if not all the basic, necessary information you need in order to play the Hunter class whether on Elysium's Nethergarde or on official Classic when it releases 3 months from now. This guide is meant to be precise and not so long, by no means it will cover every single in and out of the class, but as the title says the main purpose is to get you through the leveling process and getting you raid-ready, all the steps you need for that will be covered here. Also, note that all the info included will be and is meant to be applicable for Classic's release as the game is launching on 1.12 core but with progression phases and phase 1 includes Molten Core, Onyxia and Maraudon while phase 2 includes Dire Maul, Azuregos and Kazzak.

Races:

Any race in Vanilla got "racials" which are the key point for picking your race and class combination. For playing the Hunter, the available races for you are Orc, Troll and Tauren on the Horde side and Night Elf and Dwarf on the Alliance side. This guide is meant for PvE but I will list what's best for PvP as well.

[H] PvE: Troll (Berserking, Bow Specialization) [Best Choice if you are aiming to MinMax at end game]
      PvP: Orc (Stun Resist, Command, Blood Fury, Hardiness, Axe Specialization)

[A] PvE: Night Elf (Quickness, +Base Agility Boost)
      PvP: Dwarf (Stoneform)

Leveling Talents 31/20/0:

Beast Mastery is the fastest and probably the only viable spec for Leveling, going full Marksman will cost a ton of mana and won't be anywhere near beneficial as going Beast Mastery, it's like leveling an Elemental Shaman or a Balance Druid.

1 point Aspect of the Hawk
4 points Endurance Training
2 points Improved Revived Pet
3 points Thick Hide
1 point Bestial Swiftness
2 points Pathfinding
5 points Unleashed Fury
2 points Ferocity
1 point Intimidation
3 points Ferocity
1 point Endurance Training
5 points Frenzy
1 point Bestial Wrath
5 points Improved Concussive Shot (
If you're on a PvP server and world PvP is going on, but if other wise, 5 points Efficiency will be better)
5 points Lethal Shots
1 point Aimed Shot
3 points Hawk Eye
1 point Improved Hunter's Mark
5 points Mortal Shots

Link to the talent tree:

http://classicdb.ch/?talent#cq0Gdxxotxqohx

Pets:

There's a variety of Pets you can choose from, and mostly every type of pet group comes with a unique ability to them, and some groups share some abilities like Wolves and Cats can both learn Dash.  If you are planning on going PvE then your best bet will be "Broken Tooth" as this pet got the fastest attack speed in the game with a rate of 1.0 as well as "Bloodaxe Worg" as it got the highest rank Bite, Furious Howl in the game which are buffs that help the raid kill the target your pet is attacking faster. You should focus on taming both of them after getting level 60, and putting the one not in use in the stable. Also you can pass pet skills to other pets after you have learned them in your Beast Training.

Good pet choices for leveling would be:

Cats: Due to their high attack speed and ability to get tanky at higher levels.

Boars: Due to their charge ability and high HP.

Wind Serpents: Due to their high damage output.

Stat Priority:
9% Hit > Agility (1=2RAP) > Crit

Pre-Raid BiS:

Head: Backwood Helm or Mask of the Unforgiven (Enchant 8 Agility)
Neck: Mark of Fordring or Pendant of Celerity
Shoulders: Truestrike Shoulders (Enchant 5 Resist)
Back: Cape of the Black Baron (Enchant 3 Agility)
Chest: Savage Gladiator Chain or Deathdealer Breastplate (Enchant 4 Stats)
Wrist: Bracers of the Eclipse (Enchant 1 Agility)
Gloves: Devilsaur Gauntlets (Enchant 7 Agility)
Waist: Warpwood Binding or Cadaverous Belt
Legs: Devilsaur Gauntlets (Enchant 8 Agility)
Boots: Windreaver Greaves (Enchant 7 Agility)
Ring1: Blackstone Ring
Ring2: Tarnished Elven Ring or Painweaver Band
Trinket1: Blackhand's Breadth
Trinket2: Royal Seal of Eldrethalas or Devilsaur Eye
Weapon: Barbarous Blade (Enchant 25 Agility) or 2x Dawn's Edge (Enchant 15 Agility)
Ranged: Blackcrow (Enchant 7 Damage)
Quiver: Ribbly's Quiver
Arrows: Thorium Headed Arrow

Raid Consumables:
(Offensive)
Elixer of the Mongoose
Grilled Squid
Ground Scorpok Assay
Oil of Immolation
Juju Might (Pet)
Juju Power (Pet)
Juju Flurry (Pet)
Scroll of Agility IV (Pet)

(Defensive)
Flask of the Titans / Flask of Distilled Wisdom
Elixer of Fortitude
Spirit of Zanza
Rumsey Rum
Whipper Root Tubers
Major Healing Potions
Major Mana Potions
Demonic Runes
Brilliant Mana Oil
Free Action Potion
Living Action Potion
Limited Invulnerability Potion

Raiding Specs/Talents:

There's 2 viable raiding specs for hunters in vanilla, 1st one is used when your gear is less than 9% hit while the 2nd one is used if you gear is 9% hit+ and as you've noticed you can already gather 9% hit from the Pre-Raid BiS gear BUT note that it won't be your best bet as the spec is very mana intensive and with such gear you will have to sit and drink after every pull if not every mob.

1st Spec Link:

http://classicdb.ch/?talent#cbZViohthtIbbV0h (Note that there's 3% Hit from talents, so there's room to gear into more Crit and AP focused gear)

2nd Spec Link:

http://classicdb.ch/?talent#ce0M0xxZViohtht

Leveling Ability Rotation:

Pre Level 30: 

Hunter's Mark > Concussive Shot > Serpent Sting > Arcane Shot > Auto Shot

Post Level 30:

Hunter's Mark > Concussive Shot > Intimidation > Arcane Shot > Bestial Wrath > Auto Shot

Raiding Ability Rotation:

Hunter's Mark > Aimed Shot > Multi-Shot > Auto Shot > Arcane Shot

Quality of Life Macros:

These macros will be very useful for leveling, grinding mobs and PvP as well.

Cast Hunter's Mark + Pet Attack

/cast Hunter's Mark
/script if GetUnitName("target")==nil then TargetNearestEnemy() end
/script CastPetAction(2);
/script CastPetAction(10);
/script PetAttack(target)
/cast Charge
/cast Dash

Send Pet to Attack

/script if GetUnitName("target")==nil
then TargetNearestEnemy()end
/script CastPetAction(2);
/script PetAttack(target)
/cast Charge
/cast Dash

Call Pet Back

/script PetFollow("Zanza")
/cast Dash

Useful Addon:

YAHT - https://github.com/Aviana/YaHT (Helps you time your Auto Shots and abilities)

Useful Website:

http://vanillawowhunter.com/vanilla-wow-hunter-guide/ (Used as a database for all vanilla hunters as it contains a lot of info on every subject hunter related)

Conclusion:

I hope you have found this guide useful, and if you have any questions feel free to post them.

Edited by Zanza

I can tell you from experience that horde hunters do more damage than alliance. I don't understand why so many people say hunters are useless in raids in end game. I played an orc hunter at 60 and always did as much damage as any mage or rogue. Week end and out we always fought for damage and crunched numbers. Some fights in the game are better for certain classes. Far as specs for late game full marksman always works but I managed to play off the lightning reflex spec with scattershot and no wyvern. Its more gear dependant but late game with the slowest weapon you can find and as much agility as you can stack plus totem, whipperoot tubers, mongoose potions, agility food and MOTW  my damage started scaling so much better than marks. I never used dots in raids or 5 mans except for explosive trap on trash it was better aoe than volley ever was. Problem with dots in raids is it sucks for damage and is a waste for raid slot and in 5 mans you cant CC with a dot on target and you never know when you need to pick up a target. Another realization you need to know. Traps cannot be cast in combat in vanilla you'll have to fein death/cast within 3-5 sec window before being pulled back in combat. In 5 mans clever traps is important for keeping a target trapped for long periods of time because it extends the trap time longer than your fein death that way you can fein death trap again.  Fein death/drink is handy as well. Another raid saver can be fein death/jumper cables. You'll have to fein death/equip cables first then wait till cooldown is up again before being able to use cables but its handy as hell to keep both regular jumper cables and XL cables for battle res. As far as pvp I beat good rogues 50% of time. Arms warriors could kill me easy if they knew to put on a shield  when I got away from them. Druids cant be killed if there smart. When fighting warlocks I can kill and survive good affliction locks if I ate after I killed them. I could kill backlash/destructo warlocks most times unless there full time pvpers(to much spell damage}. Don't even try to fight a shaman one on one. And that's for every class. Most mages I could kill ,most good mages I could not. All depends on if I can burn the frost armor off quick enough any other spec is dead. Shadow priests rape most hunters. And orc hunters one on one against other hunters just have a survival build go scatter them, frost trap, wing clip, aspect of monkey, deterance, bloodfury with the biggest 2 hander you got and beat them down meelee. Beat every race of hunter in game on daily basis with my meelee. It works with frost trap down they will never break enough distance with scattershot to use there ranged. Bloodfury sets orc meelee apart from other races. Eventhough hunters suck at meelee. Against pallies I didn't even try and kill a resto pally and I had enough parry and dodge with my racial for stuns and could outlast their mana pool for ret pallies.  But hunters falling off at end game for damage is funny as hell to me. People forget 2 ap per agility 54 agility per crit. I had more ranged ap at 60 than at max level in burning crusade. By the end at 60 I had full tier 1,2,and 3 pieces of tier 3. I was pushing 1600 Ranged ap raid buffed. Hitting 3k aimed shots 1300-2k multies, and auto shot hits around 600-800 and auto crits around 1200-1600. I wasn't a marks build so I only used arcane shot for kiting and pulling.