ShadowLords

I lost my pet...

...and so I got a new one, but when the U.I popped up for the pet it didn't have the "growl" taunt ability on it like it had with my previous pet.

My question is where do I find this ability to put back on the pets U.I? it's not in my spell book , and it's nothing under the pet tab.

Thanks

In the General Tab of your spell book, there is a Beast Training spell. That is where all of your pet skills are found.

The entire way to learn new pet skills is actually not really obvious if you've never played a Hunter before so I recommend you do a little research on how it works.

I also noticed that whenever I learn a new rank of a spell(noticed this specifically with Growl),  the 'Auto-cast' won't always work, so if you notice your pet not holding aggro, Disable/Re-enable Auto cast to make sure it works properly.

Daaang! you're right I never would've been able to figure that one out on my own, no matter how long I would've sat there and stared at my spell book. 

Thank you much!

~Shadow~

Your pet earns training points when he levels up, as well as when his Loyalty Level goes up, although Loyalty can't surpass 6, so after that, it's solely earned by your pet levels. When taming new pets, you might actually be in the negative training points, but it all evens out to 300 training points once you're 60 with Loyalty 6.

Note that the Pet Trainer(Not to be confused by Hunter Trainer) only trains basic skills(Stamina, Armor, Resistances, Growl), and when you do train a new skill at the Pet Trainer, your pet won't have the skill yet. You need to open the Beast Training spell, and teach the spell to your pet from there. It's actually really clunky, especially that your pet will often be 2-3 levels below you, so even if you can train a new pet ability at the Pet Trainer, you won't be able to teach it to your pet till your pet also reaches the required level. You also don't need to train each Rank of a skill. So in theory, you could grind to 60, not visit a pet trainer, then at 60, learn all the max Ranks right away. The Pet Trainer can reset your pet training points for pretty cheap, so don't be afraid to try things out, although this is mostly relevant later on when more skills become available.

To teach your pet special abilities(like Claw, Prowl etc), you need to tame a pet that has that ability, use it, and eventually you will see a message telling you you've learned a new ability. At that point, the skill will be in your Beast Training tab, and teachable to future pets of that family. This will require you to store your pet at the stable, while you tame another one for its skill.

I recommend http://www.companioncodex.com/

This contains Species Catalog with all the types of beasts along with the skills they can learn, and a Bestiary containing a list of all beasts in the world and what skill/rank they have.