Sign in to follow this  
dirtbikercj

Guide to laptop screen resolution unlock

Hello Elysium,

Not sure where to post this so its going in the help section.

Background: I am a hardware engineer who works for a major hardware company. Questions are welcome.

After hours of messing around and trying various methods found here and elsewhere without luck, I have a solution for people with laptops who run external monitors who are locked to the 1600x1200 max resolution with an un-populated refresh field due to the technical limits of the wow client in those days. We however are going to trick it into working like a modern day wow client. Tested on an Acer, Asus, and Dell laptop all running windows 10 x64 with intel chipsets and Nvidia dedicated graphics cards. Have not tested with AMD products as i do not have any laying around anyone who wants to try is welcome if it works let me know and we'll work to update this accordingly.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any damage you cause to your operating system or computer. Proceed at your own risk as you will be temporarily disabling your laptop screen in windows. These steps could possibly work for PC's as well however i have not tested it so do so at your own risk.

WARNING: THIS WILL ONLY WORK FOR LAPTOPS THAT RUN A DEDICATED GRAPHICS CARD, IF YOU ARE RUNNING OFF AN INTEL CHIP-SET OR AMD CHIP-SET AS A PRIMARY MEANS OF GRAPHICS OUTPUT DO NOT CONTINUE YOU WILL BRICK WINDOWS AND HAVE TO REINSTALL YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

1. Be sure to have your external monitor connected and working before you proceed or you will have issues you don't want to have like having no picture on any monitor. 

2. Go into device manager: Control panel --> system and security --> system --> Device manager. Alternatively: Windows key + R --> Type: "devmgmt.msc" --> Press enter

3. Find display adapters subcategory and look for intel integrated graphics(Ex. Intel(R) UHD graphics 630) MAKE SURE YOU SEE A SECOND OPTION HERE EX(NVIDIA GTX 1060) Now find the Monitors sub category and be sure there are two options here Ex: your monitor type and "Generic PnP Monitor" this is the one you want to make go away temporarily. 

4. In the display adapters category: Disable the intel UHD graphics (ATTN: SEE WARNING ABOVE BEFORE DOING THIS) now go back to the Monitors subcategory and you should now only see your external monitor there, if you don't you did something wrong. 

5. Press Windows key + P on your keyboard and Select duplicate screen

6. Start the vanilla wow client log in and enter the game

7. You should now have the option to set any resolution that your monitor supports and the refresh rate field should now be populated (Ex. 60, 144, ect.)

8. Before closing wow. Go to your clients location on the C:\ drive. Go into the "WTF" folder and right click on config --> Properties --> General tab --> Select Read only --> Apply and close the window.  Now you may close your wow client and file explorer after doing so.

9. Re-enable your intel UHD graphics then press windows + p and selected Extend to go back to having the use of both monitors.

10. Profit.

Sorry about formatting i type to fast for my own good sometimes. if anyone has any questions feel free to ask below, or send me a private message and i'll try and help you to the best of my abilities. 

Enjoy!

Edited by dirtbikercj
Edited title

Alternatively, you can;

install retail WoW

Launch game

set the resolution you want

Close retail

Open vanilla

Ignore graphic dialog that pops up

1 minute ago, Zancon said:

Alternatively, you can;

install retail WoW

Launch game

set the resolution you want

Close retail

Open vanilla

Ignore graphic dialog that pops up

Yes, was the first thing i tried to no avail. Due to the way Laptops handle information across the bus it simply does not work. This was written for people like me who tried all other methods on the internet. So i came up with a way (more technical than most yes) to have it work 100% of the time, tested across multiple systems. This also allows the use of multiple monitors while playing the vanilla client, which from what i understand and the research i did prior to doing this was nein impossible. Maybe someone somewhere else got it to work, i however couldn't on any of the three systems i tested on.

Anyone having issues should try his method first.