Silenceborn

A newcomer to Nost/Elysium private server scene (Oceanic/Australia) in need of help

Hi there,

I have played WoW since 2004 on and off but then stopped playing it completely when the MoP released. I also was not really active in Cata as I found it far from ideal. Anyway, I never tried the Nostalrius or any private servers in general so this one would be my first. I have played Rogue, Priest and Lock and Druid as my main toonz when I was playing and hopefully a fresh Vanilla experience would bring back the memories, so I'm really excited.

However, when I was playing WoW I was in Europe (playing on EU servers), but now living in Australia I have no idea how much ping I'm gonna have and if it will be playable from here at all. Especially playing a melee class such a rogue would be very nerve wrecking if the ping is really high. I'm in IT so I know the technical reasons for the higher latency and ping time because of the AU long distance to the server locations, but being behind a 120mb/s NBN with super fast ping times to AU locations might help it a little bit. Hopefully the ping will be lower than 200ms, otherwise I will have to play Lock or Hunter? 

I'm mostly a pvper (2.2k exp+ in TBC) but I used to raid as well both in Vanilla and TBC and we have cleared almost all raids with our guild years ago. Is there any Oceanic/Australian guild around? Any suggestions for playing on private servers? I remember I was using couple of add-ons years ago, is it still possible to use add-ons when playing on private servers? and if yes are the ones on Curse and Wowinterface websites work properly?

Please feel free to let me know if I'm missing something and Moderator please remove/move the post if its not in the right place.

Cheers,

Since you are mostly a PVPer and latency is your concerns, while you can't fix the latency, you can help yourself a bit.

Get an add-on called Snowfall, this will allow your abilities to work on key press down rather than on key release.  Can help even the playing field in reaction time if your opponent isn't using it - ofc we are talking fractions of a second.

The second thing to do is invest time in some /stop-casting macros on your abilities as well.   The more latency you have, the more these will help you overall.

it will be virtually impossible to get a ping below 200 from aus. I'm from aus so i can confirm it. i had about 250 constantly on nost. that being said I'm so dam used to it that i can still play any class just fine tbh. at least id like to think i can ;)

Thanks for the response man. I never really played wow with ping over 50ms so far, I think eventually you will get used to it as you said and it becomes second nature, but for competitive pvp I think those who have far less latency will definitely have the edge, again especially when playing melee. Saying that though, I think it does not really matter that much because there is no arena scene in Vanilla anyway. Do you have any suggestions for add-ons (any website for add-ons that work on vanilla servers?) and also I'm with Telstra, I think I will call them to ask if my ping time can be enhanced over the NBN. I remember there was a feature they introduced couple of years ago over the ADSL2+ which helped my ping time alittle bit when I was playing other online games. 

Since you are mostly a PVPer and latency is your concerns, while you can't fix the latency, you can help yourself a bit.

Get an add-on called Snowfall, this will allow your abilities to work on key press down rather than on key release.  Can help even the playing field in reaction time if your opponent isn't using it - ofc we are talking fractions of a second.

The second thing to do is invest time in some /stop-casting macros on your abilities as well.   The more latency you have, the more these will help you overall.

Thanks mate for the suggestions. I will definitely look them up and you are absolutely correct and /stop-casting macros can definitely help as well. I have to work on my macros anyway as playing pvp without proper macros is not really ideal. I remember I used to spend hours setting my macros properly but then I forgot everything by now. I am a left handed player and I remember that I changed the whole keybindings to the right side of the keyboard (O-K-L-: instead of WASD and so on...) and used shift, ctrl and alt modifiers all the times. I have to learn all of them again it seems! 

Btw, any mature, fun and friendly ozzy guild around?

Cheers everyone!

i was playing wow before they they added local servers and you get use to queuing up abilities and if you have add ons it can calculate the delay.

you will be playing with 200-250ms to us and i think eu is a bit more maybe 30-50 more, i didnt play on eu servers as there was no benefit over us servers.