Sign in to follow this  
Roxanne Flowers

Gnomish or Goblin for which Classes?

Something that I've been wondering about is whether the different Engineering Specializations have any "bias" or preference towards being a better fit for each of the 9 classes based on what that specialization makes available.  So I went hunting for reference materials and found Gnome and Goblin Engineering pages at wowwiki, but those pages include stuff from post vanilla.  So here's a shorter listing of what can be made (and used) in each specialization.

Gnomish Engineering:

Gnomish Goggles BoP
Gnomish Mind Control Cap
Gnomish Rocket Boots
Gnomish Harm Prevention Belt
Gnomish Alarm-O-Bot
Lil' Smoky BoP
World Enlarger Requires Gnomish Engineering but does not Bind!
Plans: Inlaid Mithril Cylinder
Gnomish Battle Chicken BoP
Gnomish Death Ray BoP
Gnomish Net-o-Matic Projector
Gnomish Shrink Ray has ... interesting side effects ... involving +/- 250 Attack Power
Ultrasafe Transporter: Gadgetzan Requires Gnomish Engineering

Goblin Engineering:

Goblin Construction Helmet BoP
Goblin Rocket Boots
Goblin Rocket Helmet
Goblin Mining Helmet BoP
Pet Bombling BoP
The Big One
Goblin Sapper Charge
Recipe: Goblin Rocket Fuel
Dimensional Ripper - Everlook Requires Goblin Engineering
Goblin Bomb Dispenser BoP
Goblin Dragon Gun BoP
Goblin Jumper Cables XL
Goblin Mortar

Looking at this list, particularly the Bind on Equip and exclusive use list, I can only surmise the following class "bias" advantages for needing (or merely wanting) to be one or the other:

Gnomish Goggles: Warlock while leveling for stats
World Enlarger: damaging and healing spells do not break the effect (see testing by Sabre on Elysium below)
Gnomish Battle Chicken: all Auto Attack with Weapon(s) classes due to chance for Battle Squawk adding +5% attack speed for 4 minutes to entire party, Hunter (also buffs Pet), Shaman (Windfury Totem)
Gnomish Death Ray: Mage (Mana Shield), Paladin (Blessing of Protection and Divine Shield negate damage to self), Priest (Power Word: Shield will Absorb damage to self), Shaman? (Grounding Totem?), Warlock (Health Regeneration)

Goblin Construction Helmet: Fire Resist and On Use Fire Shield (no class bias)
Goblin Mining Helmet: Mail wearing Miners
Goblin Bomb Dispenser: combat Pet (no class bias?)
Goblin Dragon Gun: cone fire attack advantage to classes which lack AoE attacks and can be combined with Gnomish Net-o-Matic Projector(!) to pin a target in the damage cone

Near as I can tell, this means that Gnomish Engineering offers some specific advantages to a very limited subset of classes, while Goblin Engineering is almost entirely class agnostic.

Does anyone else have any particular preferences for an Engineering specialization for specific classes ... and if so, what is it and why?  I'm not talking about the "usefulness" of the Gadgetzan/Everlook divide, but rather with the specific items that each specialization can make (and use) only on "their side" of the divide exclusively, since the rest can be traded (and thus obtained via the Auction House).  Point being that if you have 2 characters with Engineering, each with different classes, which classes "prefer" to be given Gnomish Engineering and which "prefer" to be given Goblin Engineering, based on how the two options inter(re)act with what those classes can bring to bear?

Edited by Roxanne Flowers
pytos

54 minutes ago, Roxanne Flowers said:

World Enlarger: Druid, Paladin, Priest, Shaman to use while casting healing spells only (which doesn't break effect)

Spells don't break effect.

9 hours ago, Sabre said:

Spells don't break effect.

World Enlarger
Instant
Enlarges the entire world for 5 min or until you attack.

Using a weapon on a hostile (PC or NPC) is obviously an attack.
Casting a damaging spell on a hostile (PC or NPC) is also an attack, isn't it?
Casting a healing spell on a friendly (PC or NPC) is NOT an attack.

Are you saying that casting damaging spells on hostiles is not an attack, and therefore won't dispel the World Enlarger effect?

5 minutes ago, Roxanne Flowers said:

World Enlarger
Instant
Enlarges the entire world for 5 min or until you attack.

Using a weapon on a hostile (PC or NPC) is obviously an attack.
Casting a damaging spell on a hostile (PC or NPC) is also an attack, isn't it?
Casting a healing spell on a friendly (PC or NPC) is NOT an attack.

Are you saying that casting damaging spells on hostiles is not an attack, and therefore won't dispel the World Enlarger effect?

Tested on Elysium PvP just now, damage spells do not break the effect.

Interesting ...!

Yet more proof that stuff like this needs testing.  Thank you very much.

Original post edited to reflect this new information.

Edited by Roxanne Flowers

As a paladin, I tend to like gnome eng.

gadgetzan > everlook.

i love the mind control cap, the other trinkets as well.

its just a preference for me, mostly bias since I never really had a usefulness as a paladin for goblin eng, not to mention the mithral cylinder is God for auction 

Edited by JCarrill0

Any melee class should want Gnomish because the chicken gives you a melee haste buff. The only downside is being unable to make your sappers every week. The best solution, other than reskilling after making it, is to run an alt with Goblin who can make them for you. Note that anything of value as Gnomish is BOE except the death ray and chicken, the first of which is garbage at 60.

If you're a caster, you could just go Goblin anyway... because you do not care about a melee buff. The best AOE out of Engineering is sapper charges, which are BOE, but made by Goblin, and since they are consumable... it's nice to be able to make your own. BOE trinkets you only need made 1 time each, then you keep them forever. The same is true for Gnomish boots, which are permanent, vs the Goblin boots, which will eventually explode and need to be replaced.

The only other factor is the teleport locations. This will come down largely to preference, but Silithus/Ungoro have far more things to do or farm than just Winterspring, but if you're Horde like myself, it's nice having a spare teleport right next to our main city.

In other words, if you are melee go Gnomish, if you're anything else, go Goblin.

54 minutes ago, Drain said:

Any melee class should want Gnomish because the chicken gives you a melee haste buff. The only downside is being unable to make your sappers every week. The best solution, other than reskilling after making it, is to run an alt with Goblin who can make them for you. Note that anything of value as Gnomish is BOE except the death ray and chicken, the first of which is garbage at 60.

If you're a caster, you could just go Goblin anyway... because you do not care about a melee buff. The best AOE out of Engineering is sapper charges, which are BOE, but made by Goblin, and since they are consumable... it's nice to be able to make your own. BOE trinkets you only need made 1 time each, then you keep them forever. The same is true for Gnomish boots, which are permanent, vs the Goblin boots, which will eventually explode and need to be replaced.

The only other factor is the teleport locations. This will come down largely to preference, but Silithus/Ungoro have far more things to do or farm than just Winterspring, but if you're Horde like myself, it's nice having a spare teleport right next to our main city.

In other words, if you are melee go Gnomish, if you're anything else, go Goblin.

The death ray is not garbage. I have seen people in frost novas hit me for 2.5k.