blooberry89

The Best Pet

For PvE at level 60, Lupos is considered to be the best overall pet up to patch 1.9 - after that ZG-Serpents, Deathmaw or Brokentooth are superior.

For PvP, people usually recommend Brokentooth beause of his attackspeed (1.0) which offers pushback on casters. Lupos (pre 1.9) ignores armor, which makes him a tankmelter. Other popular choices in PvP are boars, bats, serpents and a scorpid here and there. I, however, would recommend using BT or Lupos (depending on which classes you expext to face).

On 6/3/2017 at 8:55 PM, Poly said:

For PvE at level 60, Lupos is considered to be the best overall pet up to patch 1.9 - after that ZG-Serpents, Deathmaw or Brokentooth are superior.

For PvP, people usually recommend Brokentooth beause of his attackspeed (1.0) which offers pushback on casters. Lupos (pre 1.9) ignores armor, which makes him a tankmelter. Other popular choices in PvP are boars, bats, serpents and a scorpid here and there. I, however, would recommend using BT or Lupos (depending on which classes you expext to face).

Even against casters I like Lupos' raw damage vs. interrupting casts. 

I pull stuff for my guild's raids. I've been using a wind serpent and I've come to really like it, it can tag those guardian bugs in AQ and get back to me without dying, among other things. They're very graceful fighters.

Cats, wolves, and wind serpents are all good pets for raiding, unless Lupos isn't nerfed in which case Lupos is indubitably the best. Cats deal lovely damage, but are a little less responsive than wolves on account of focus dump, so you may need to be more proactive in helping it avoid AoEs if it can't cast Dash right away. They're nevertheless the fastest and most furious beasts you'll find for dealing physical damage. Wolves benefit your allies' damage, but will make practically no difference if you keep it at your side. Furious Howl has a 15-yard range - make sure the wolf is in the melee! They're also ineffective if you are not buffing a melee group, which will happen on some encounters where your raid leader swaps people around for optimal builds. Wind serpents deal magical damage, which pierces armor but can prove ineffective against certain enemies, and doesn't gain quite as many significant damage boosts from buffs and debuffs as a cat or, to a lesser extent, a wolf would. However, it is the only beast with a ranged attack, so you can outrange potentially lethal mechanics with it and engage the enemy quicker.

As for PvP, I picked up that ZG <3 spell power trinket the other day and I've been screwing around with it in PvP along with a Wind Serpent. Pop it off and DoT a warrior up and they're like "w0t, where's the mage?" But otherwise I've enjoyed Broken Tooth a lot since I prefer to assassinate casters or healers with burst combos and Shadowmeld. Boars can also be fun in PvP since they're tough critters that can charge people. Not nearly as effective in terms of damage, at least after the initial burst damage Charge adds to your boar's attack, but still potentially fun.

You'll never know which beast is best suited for you until you try 'em yourself. Have fun :)
http://web.archive.org/web/20070410041758/http://petopia.brashendeavors.net/html/articles/skills_list.shtml

By the way, here. This page has some data from Burning Crusade, such as boars having Gore (which doesn't exist in vanilla), but it's quite useful for vanilla anyway. If you're interested, I have a pet tutorial on my Hunter Macros & Tips [Redux] thread and I go into detail about different beasts, among other things. Section 3.2.2.

On 6/5/2017 at 4:41 PM, drzepp said:

Did they ever fix snarler? Last I heard he was missing his resists

He does not have his resists (at least on Zeth'Kur) as of last week.  Also checked the Rocs in Tanaris, no fire resist on them.