Sign in to follow this  
petroix

Leveling Paladin can u guys help?

Hey,
I want to level with my friend Warrior and i can't decide if i should go full Retri, Reckoning or Holy? We're planning some world PvP and also questing/dungeons. He's probably going Arms PvP, and i'm not sure about myself. 

- Holy or hybrid would be nice so i can heal him in world PvP or we can solo some elities and hard quests. But i won't do much dmg.

- Ret is probably the best solo leveling so idk, i will have my friend to help with dps anyway

- Reckoning could be fun especially in world PvP but idk. I'd really like to try that but i'm a little afraid.

So.. can you guys help? What spec will be the best for, the most important for us is 1. world pvp 2. dungeons 3. questing

I guess we are fine with tanking and healing dungeons even in PvP specs but with the right gear?

I'd say if you don't plan on farming dungeons 24/7 and wish to focus on PvP, the most crucial factor for you playing with a warrior will be itemization.

From reading your post I've got the impression, that your friend is strictly focusing on pvp and you wish to play support. Well, that a very healthy thing for a paladin.

Problem is - PvP focused warrior will be sucking in all the gear that you would need for any decent Retri/Reck PvP.

I'd say you better focus on gathering holy gear. It's basically +int items at low levels, not much of a point to get spirit as you're still planning for pvp - go for int+sta for good manapool and some survivability in PvP encounters.

But of course don't forget to farm and work on your Retri/Reck set as well. The key to being good support is flexibility.

Oh and yes - specs don't matter that much until lvl 40. And even after this point spec can be compensated by your skill and gear to be honest. It changes in raids, but mostly because people prefer to make everything as easy as possible.

Maybe you should consider tanking - then your warrior friend can gather damage dealing items and you could still have decent PvP gear and survivability. Or you could switch roles, but that would require a lot of dungeon runs and slow leveling.

I leveled a reckoning pally back at Elysium by farming dungeons only. Mostly tanking, sometimes healing or dpsing. Took a lot of time, but for me being a hardcore player it was a blast. Maybe you will find something interesting among my videos: https://forum.elysium-project.org/topic/32684-reckoning-day/

Tbh I don't have any idea why would you want to do worldPvP - too much running around just to gank or be ganked in my opinion. I'd just farm dungeons untill battlegrounds would become available.

Thanks for reply.
Yeah we just love world pvp, it's a lot of fun for us and with ~9k online you are almost all the time forced to fight so we think it's the best to go for pvp spec and gear + additional tank/heal gear for dungeons. We also don't mind slower leveling. He will tank and i'll heal, it's easier to find 3 dps.

About holy i'm afraid that there are no good items for a holy paladin before level 60 (i mean mainly for pvp). I don't want people 1shot me because i'm in cloths with +int. Also no spellpower means i don't care much about consecration, it won't be effective. I guess for dungeons and hard quests/elites i can just put my +int gear and heal good enough in ret/reckoning but for wpvp i'm afraid holy won't work.

So i'm considering going Ret tree till 34lvl then respec and go Reckoning. The thing is i never played reckoning so i don't know what seal, weapon etc. should i use. Also i have no idea in what situations i should stack it because i'm afraid about big crits, not sure if it's worth it.

You can always hunt +int+sta mail at the auction and wear a shield. I doubt anyone but highlevel gankers will be able to oneshot you with a shield even if your bubbles are on cd ;)

Consecration doesn't scale with spd that much anyway. Good manapool on the other hand allows you to heal and survive longer. What's the point in a ret paladin, if he will spend 1/3 of his mana just to put on a seal, stun and judge it? You're gonna need intellect in any spec except maybe retriPvE. Starting holy talents help with that as well as neck and rings with int.

For reckoning you want as much damage as possible, because reckoning gives you free attacks. Those better be high damage rather than low. You're gonna need slow 2-handers just like everyone else. Or maybe slow 1-hander and a shield.

Your low level dps is crusader - judge crusader for extra holy damage on the target - righteousness - judge it on cd for extra damage.

I've also discovered that seal of justice is pretty useful in PvP since you don't have anything but HoJ for breaking casts. Most people do not expect that - I've forced many mages to blink by that random on swing stun thinking I just used my HoJ on them. But it is unreliable of course. Sometimes it's just better to outdamage the enemy.

At high levels I'd strongly suggest Seal of Command unless you really want to run around the enemy doing nothing and sucking up crits for righteousness on crusader 5 hit bomb. Well, you can't do much against big crits anyway - except using those in your advantage.

Yeah i know this guide, it's nice for solo lvling but i want to try something different.

Guys what you think about this http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#sVxuogoZVGLcc0e and go for +int/stam gear. The main idea is to survive everything both leveling and world pvp, i'd like to be super tanky 1h+shield and super annoying for people that will try to put me down :D Also i can heal my friend warrior all the time. Is it viable? A shame is that i'll get Reckoning very late ;/

If not, i think about going full dmg/pvp like my friend warrior so we can both do some good dmg. And the spec would be http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#sxxzZVuZtf0trcqo

Third option is Reckoning/holy (simillar to the first spec link above) but i'm afraid i'll play it wrong and kill myself with /sit instead of my opponent :DD

I think the first build is pretty good for pure support and survivability. I'd say put 2 points in fear/disorient resistance instead of divine favor and improved lay on hands/consecration.

Consecration is basically a tanking ability - too much of a mana sink for a healer. And if you want to tank - imp. righteous fury is far more crucial than extra armor. Because holding aggro without taunt is much more difficult while you can always compensate the lack of defence with your selfheals and saving abilities.

You may also consider going for imp. concentration aura - with spiritual focus and this aura on you you will have 100 pushback free casts and some additional silence/interrupt resistance. Maybe sacrifice your one-handed spec for that.

You probably don't want to overdo the defence part and turn yourself into a tin can healer. I'll say this again: the key to being good support is flexibility.

You can stack armor against rogues all you want, but then a couple of warlocks will just dot-fear you both to death if you forget to put your shadow resistance aura on, equip your 2hander in time and stun em with justice.

I used this one for tanking/pvp http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#sqLzZVGzucbxZVf0p going holy first, then prot to imp HoJ, then retri, and then finally reckoning.

But then again - I didn't have a warrior with me and had to do all the damage myself. Just go with what you feel like. You can always adjust.

Nah, i don't want to tank, even for questing i guess we can just focus to kill single mobs faster. Server is too much populated so pulling 5-10 mobs on us can end up being ganked etc.

I got a question about pushback with Spiritual Focus + Concentration Auta. I need the both maxed for 100% no pushback? or 4/5 or something is already 100%?

Ultimately i came up with this http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#sxxhMZVGkcchx (first go 10 points into Holy for Spiritual Focus then Prot till Reckoning and again Holy. Last 10 points i'd put into 1H spec in prot, then Consecration, Imp Lay on Hands, 2/5 Divine Intellect. Why i don't want to go Ret tree is because good 2H talents are super deep which means i'll be very late there or in holy/prot tree.

Spiritual focus 4/5 plus imp. conc. 2/3 is enough for 100 pushback free, but only when conc. aura is on.

I personally kind of regret not going SF 5/5 because I was tanking with devotion/retri aura and never had time to switch to concentration to selfheal because it takes global cooldown to switch auras back and forth and by doing that you loose all the advantages of pushback free.

My point being - improve conc. if you plan on using it as your main aura. Otherwise don't bother.

Honestly I'd still go for intellect instead of strength in Holy - you won't have that much of strength if you go int+sta, but you can always do an extra judgement if you have some mana to spare.

Also I would grab improved healing and in general would go deeper into Holy. You can spend the last 10 points on imp. LoH, BoW and Illumination there making you a great healer with the most important talents right away and then slowly work on survivability and dps in prot as you gather more appropriate gear.

Previously i thought about going deeper into Holy. But i did some research and people are saying Holy talents are weak early on because slightly better heal won't win the fight for you or speed up your progression, and you have not much spell crit % before level 60 anyway to benefit from it. Also i read imp. BoW gives almost nothing. That's why i changed my mind to go only 10 points into Holy first.

Divine Intellect you're right if i go with that support/tanky idea, so i won't be using Retri Aura or Devotion i can easily go for Conc. Aura as my main aura. So with Conc. Aura 3/3 i need SF 3/5 for 100% no pushback? On the other hand i can be forced to use Frost/Fire/Shadow aura so SF 5/5 can come handy in some situations.

Yes - slightly better heal won't win the fight for you or speed up your progression - your friend warrior will.

I didn't have any problem healing in 11-25-15 with the unwanted gear that I rolled for offspec. It's just that you could use some mana saving to make surviving outdoors pvp a bit easier.

Early prot talents won't give you anything that useful either. Maybe you could find another spare point and go for seal of command after holy instead.

Concentration aura gives you 35% to avoid pushback. Improved in talents it gives you 15% more. So you can go for 3/5 SF and 92% or 4/5 for 106%

I'd put 5/5 there - nothing better to take from the first two Holy tiers anyway.

To be honest we focus mostly on world pvp, we want to be as strong as possible because server is overpopulated and you will be forced to kill or die more often then you expect it.

Seal of Command for 1h+shield? Early prot talents boosts my shield which is good, also blessing of freedom, BoK, HoJ, resist silence/interrupt are looking promising for world pvp. But maybe only on paper.

So i'd go with that http://db.vanillagaming.org/?talent#sixurZVGkcchE first 11 points into Holy, then Prot till Reckoning, again Holy etc.
But i still can't decide between Divine Strength or Intellect. Divine Str should also reduce damage taken with shield equipped right?