Sign in to follow this  
Baskakov_DIma

Best plan for leveling together with a Druid healer?

My girlfriend is a level 12 Druid. My main is a level 34 Paladin: I have started earlier, I have bought some bags and some gold, and I play more. For her to catch up, she either she would need to start investing way more time into the game, or I would have to wait. 

So, my solution to start playing with her was to make another character, get to her level quickly, and then only play when she is playing. Her dream role is healer. She has reached to around level 50 in TBC and vanilla about ten years ago playing as a Priest, this time she wants a bit different experience, so she has chosen a Druid.

A healer and a tank is probably the best combo, and Warrior is the best tank, so it is my choice for now.

The problem is that I am a noob. This will be my second character, and I have read in many guides that it's a huge pain to level a Warrior. However, this pain largely comes from being unable to heal oneself, and guides often offer strategies to overcome this particular problem. But, always having a healer behind my back, I will not suffer from the problem in the first place. 

As the guides spend so much time talking about overcoming the "no healing" problems, I am asking: what is the best spec or what are the best specs for this particular combo? I liked being a Miner-Engineer on my main -- will it work well on a Warrior? 

What is the better strategy to level -- still questing, or might it be better to farm instances at some point(s) to get better gear on my character? 

I was also told that playing a Warrior is a lot harder overall, as you have a lot more abilities to use. When does it start to kick in? 

I thank everyone in advance for answering those questions and appreciate any help. 

UPD: I'd like to be the tank in every instance/Elite quest that we enter, and I'd like to always be able to do that, not focusing solely on dealing damage.  It's OK if leveling speed suffers due to this, but at least I'd like to know the possible alternatives and how much each of them will hurt me. For instance, I reached level 34 in Holy spec as a Paladin, and I like it a lot. 

Edited by Baskakov_DIma

I did exactly this with my first ever 60 and my housemate. I had a shaman that I played when he wasn't playing (he had a hunter for the same thing). Plan is basically destroy everything in your path including skull players or 2v7s until you hit 60. It's one of the easiest wow modes there is. Druid/warrior is so strong in vanilla that when they announced arenas for tbc I fully expected 2v2 to be all druid/warrior. Didn't think about the fact that the game might change a bit in other ways too 😛 You don't need anything out of prot to tank pre 60 dungeons unless you want to do them pretty underleveled. I played with it a bit anyway, but it slows you down far too much. This was before shield slam though, so maybe that helps.

Spec arms so your levelling is less likely to be interrupted by other players (because you'll kill them), help your gf kite enemy players. You can duo elite quests 3-5 levels above you at some stages of your characters' development, so you don't need to stress about general questing stuff. The hardest it gets is basically from when you start hitting pvp zones until you get ww, your first instant attack using weapon damage, although it gets markedly easier again after you get pummel at 38. Mortal strike is good enough that I'd respec out of cruelty into mortal strike at 40 too, putting the next five points back into cruelty. One respec isn't too bad, only costs you 1 gold, although it does mean you're paying 50 quicker later on. I wouldn't suggest you level to 40 without cruelty though.

My whole perception of this is likely influenced by the fact that I was an undead warrior and that we were playing on a server with much higher alliance population btw.

On 4/5/2019 at 11:54 PM, Baskakov_DIma said:

I liked being a Miner-Engineer on my main -- will it work well on a Warrior? 

Ehh, Engineering has it's uses but for instances it's not the best choice. None of the crafting professions enable you to craft gear better than greens and blues dropping from bosses and quests so it's largely a waste of time. Best option is probably herb/alch to get some minor bonuses in the form of elixirs and some heath/mana potions.

What is the better strategy to level -- still questing, or might it be better to farm instances at some point(s) to get better gear on my character? 

Dungeons on their own are rarely a XP advantage but the blue gear and quest xp + rewards enable you to grind faster so in that sense a combination is key. Doing the same instance beyond getting the quest rewards is largely a waste of time. Exceptions apply for short instances or great groups if you enjoy doing it. Playing is not a rush all the time.

UPD: I'd like to be the tank in every instance/Elite quest that we enter, and I'd like to always be able to do that, not focusing solely on dealing damage.  It's OK if leveling speed suffers due to this, but at least I'd like to know the possible alternatives and how much each of them will hurt me.

Your spec should be the best possible leveling spec as that's 95% of what you will be doing so just go fury and keep the best shield/1h weapon you can.

Before reading my post: Play whatever is FUN TO YOU! Specs, class combinations, items, professions, and other gameplay elements are subjective to you. I personally level up as protection warrior, which is clearly inefficient, but a source of great fun for me.

With that out of the way I have a few pointers to make: 
1) If your partner picks "Feline Swiftness" from feral talents, then she will move faster from you in the world. It may sound minor, but if you plan to play for XX amount of hours it will start to become tiresome to keep up with the increased speed for you and she will always have to wait for you. I advice you of not picking it if you can't handle your walking "potato" speed.
2) The problem with the druid class is that it doesn't increase your offensive abilities the way a shaman does (Wind Fury too OP for warriors). BUT when you pick Sweeping Strikes from your arms spec, you can make mass pulls, with healing back-up. Have in mind that Cleave procs Sweeping strike, which means you will be making 4 hits with one cleave!
3) Leader of The Pack (feral last talent [email protected]:40) give +3% critical chance, which is awesome for warriors. Consider it, as she can still make good off-heals,without going deep into the restoration tree.
4) I would advise against a warrior. Instead I would suggest a warlock-druid combo: You will got Hots for infinite life tap = infinite sustain, your pet can tank, you will have CC with roots and fears, you will be more secured in WPvP scenarios, different armor/weapon types you will need, strong buff synergy and wipe prevention abilities. 

I would suggest to check Kargoz guide to duo leveling if you want to research further: 

PS: Have fun!

Edited by Chedruid