Sign in to follow this  
astalavista

Why so toxic now?

I tried coming back here after a break and I find it's become unbearably toxic. What's happening in Europe? I've noticed the personality and attitude over the last 10 years plummet into arrogance, narcissism and hubris. Used to love playing with Europeans and spent 7 years with a mostly European guild since I was working nights here in my time zone, played with these guys across 3 different games and even met some of these people IRL as I traveled frequently to london, reading, edinburgh and paris for my job at the time. The last 5 years I've noticed a significant shift. Is this a "European Generation Z" thing?

Because I'll admit, our Generation Z isn't anything to brag about but I take them with a grain a salt and give every human being a chance to earn my respect and treat them with respect until such a time as their behavior deems otherwise.

I can't get any of my former wow buddies to play here. I just tried luring 7 people here and none of them could stand it. Just normal, everyday people who don't have problems with anybody, just wanna immerse themselves in a game, blocking out the realities of this screwed up planet, if only for a moment.

is this really the planet we wanna become? Sickening. Now everyone's gonna clam up and migrate to their segregated enclaves and games like these will suffer.

Anyways, best of luck Elysium. Thanks for your hard work over the years. It's a shame things like these, which are beyond your control, are starting to impact the fruits of your labor.

Thanks for the memories. Once I click submit this will be the last byte of information I transmit here.

It's a bunch of retail people coming here to "practice" because they think original vanilla is the same thing as "Classic". They are going to have a bad time on release day when they realize it's not at all the same.

Make extensive use of /ignore and consider leaving /world until you need it for something other than looking at political talk.

23 hours ago, Zancon said:

It's a bunch of retail people coming here to "practice" because they think original vanilla is the same thing as "Classic". They are going to have a bad time on release day when they realize it's not at all the same.

Make extensive use of /ignore and consider leaving /world until you need it for something other than looking at political talk.

I've noticed this too and this is something that started long before blizzard even announced wow classic. People have become so toxic online now days it's going to kill online gaming. Look at the horizon, there isn't a single decent budget MMO coming anytime soon, if ever.  I started online gaming during the days of 300bps modems and what I've seen the online experience erode into since those days is shocking.

People think a blanket of internet anonymity gives them a free pass to displace the personal baggage in their lives. And this isn't a "Europe" or "American" thing. EVERYONE. EVERY COUNTRY. EVERY NATIONALITY has their douche bags. People wanna take a few bad experiences from a certain demographic and then run around lumping that entire demographic into that bucket.

I can tell you right now, I am American and I despise our younger generation more than anyone. Most Americans over the age of 40 do. We've become a self-centered, self-entitled, toxic, miserable country over the last 10 years and most of these kids need to be taken out back and tuned up and given the parenting they never got. Bunch of brats stomping around demanding free shit while a lot of people on this planet have it much much worse. Our millennial generation grew up with more stuff and more benefits than any generation in history yet they act like spoiled narcissistic brats. It's very hard to be tolerant of people like that.

We stopped parenting properly and let the internet raise our kids. I digress but that is my opinion. 

Even tho the server is from Europe, doesnt mean that everyone is European. There is plenty of people from NA and all around the world. Dont say "European Generation Z".

Now even if you play other timezones doesnt mean that NA cant play on europe time, there is plenty of people who doesnt have anything going on life and play whenever they play.

I normally try to swoop the blame on NA too, but with littlebit of commonsense that ive been gathering through years of practice, i realised that its us all, not just one place of the world.

I started on this server month ago, i was surprised how toxic the community was. And the whole community isnt toxic, its just those people that you can see. Mostly the good people are silence.

Edited by Itsmez

This is going to be my first and only post on these forums, but I just wanted to say, it's absolutely heartbreaking how bad it is.   I started on Nighthergarde around about opening and I have tried to join a couple of guilds-  the first used the n-word copiously, the second had players ranting about SJWs.  I decided then to just go unguided for a bit, and watched /World act barely above the level of spoiled channers.  I'd come back hoping to have some fun, but I've officially deleted my characters and removed the program.   I get that I'm getting something for free here, and I was grateful to have it, but regardless, I have no interest in being a part of a community that uses a video game to act out political edgelord BS to "Trigger the libs.".   I came to escape that sort of thing.

I wish there was a way to get a handle on this, but I suspect there isn't.  And that's really unfortunate.   It's soured me to WOW in general at this point, which is also unfortunate.  (or maybe not... hours of my life I can reclaim too, I guess).