Shenna

Two-Factor Authentication & Fighting The Good Fight

11 hours ago, xandman said:

I used the google one. But what happens if you deinstall the app somehow, new phone or whatever, the codes dissapear, how are you supposed to get back into your account? I did this and got back in by scanning the barcode in the original email, but what if that email was deleted, id be screwed! and if you try to turn it off it asks for a 6 digit code you are no longer receiving and no barcode to scan and if it is set to always authenticate you wouldnt even be able to do that! i must be missing something here, is there a way to get the codes back when you reinstall the app? 

Exactly my issue, Without that email your screwed!

Screenshot the barcode and backup code.   Make a document, place it on a portable USB stick/device.    Now you won't lose it, unless you make human error.

On 09/02/2017 at 9:38 AM, Gehere said:

Screenshot the barcode and backup code.   Make a document, place it on a portable USB stick/device.    Now you won't lose it, unless you make human error.

Thanks. i may do that as well, but i ended up using a different authenticator called authy that lets me backup accounts!