Sign in to follow this  
Maez

Leveling: Eviscerate and Rupture

A friend has noticed that while other rogues are grinding, they are using rupture (around level 20ish).  I was under the assumption that Eviscerate was the prime finisher for leveling (aside from popping SnD at the start).

I noticed that the damage of Rupture is better overall when you haven't yet gotten a new Eviscerate.

1. Should I switch to Rupture when I get a new rank? Or just keep Eviscerating?  I know that Rupture is good in long fights, but while leveling most fights wouldn't necessarily last the full duration.
  2. Does Rupture suffer from glancing blows?  Perhaps it is better vs higher lvl targets if not.
Edited by Maez

Glancing blows occur only on white damage so neither Evis nor Rupture can be glancing. Rupture ignore armor so may be useful against some mobs, but i doubt that it can be any noticeable difference on leveling.

46 minutes ago, Gregory said:

Glancing blows occur only on white damage so neither Evis nor Rupture can be glancing. Rupture ignore armor so may be useful against some mobs, but i doubt that it can be any noticeable difference on leveling.

Okay, I just thought it was weird that other rogues are consistently using that skill.

Rupture can be nice on mobs with more armor and also if you don't go down the Combat tree to raise your +hit since once it's on it's guaranteed damage for a while. Also with runners.

Rupture rank 1 is useless imo you have enough non-physical damage to bypass armour with r1 instant poison - I start using rupture rank 2 @ lvl28 in zones like thousand needles / stranglethorn where you're mostly fighting high armour beasts. Then @ lvl42 I'd recommend using slice and dice with 1-2 points each mob when you have rank 2 version

One thing I don't see a lot of / any rogues use is garrote. I know it can be a bit awkward to land especially before distract, but when you get it at lvl 14, each tick from it does almost the same dmg as your sinister strike. 

And then later on, garrote + SnD (especially rank 2, like the above former dwarf rogue said) + 1 or 2 instant poisons kills mobs heck of a lot quicker than just running in and spamming SS.

Do they rupture on multiple mobs? Maybe its because of it, to let it dot on all mobs while you kill one.

But I don't think it is worth against common mobs, you will probably kill the mob in half the duration of rupture, better just to do burst damage with eviscerate.

2 hours ago, Xef said:

One thing I don't see a lot of / any rogues use is garrote. I know it can be a bit awkward to land especially before distract, but when you get it at lvl 14, each tick from it does almost the same dmg as your sinister strike. 

And then later on, garrote + SnD (especially rank 2, like the above former dwarf rogue said) + 1 or 2 instant poisons kills mobs heck of a lot quicker than just running in and spamming SS.

The primary motivation to not use Garrote is because the damage ticks break Gouge stun since they happen every 3 seconds.  If you've got Improved Gouge for 5.5 second stun, opening with Garrote is counterproductive.  Garrote is also a Bleed effect, meaning that there are certain things that are simply immune to it, such as Elementals.  If memory serves, it wasn't until TBC that Blizzard added a 6 second(!) Silence effect to Garotte, making it an exceptional opener from Stealth against Casters.

That said, in a Subtlety build with Hemorrhage and 5 CP Rupture, opening with Garrote amounts to a "you're already dead, you just haven't gotten the memo yet" ... especially on Humanoids that are prone to fleeing to find allies (see: Murlocks).  The net result is something more akin to the "you can run, but you'll only die tired" style of dealing with things.  The only downside is that the kill isn't immediate/instantaneous like you'd be getting from Ambush/Eviscerate.  The upside though is that the DoTs from Garrote and Rupture don't give a damn about armor, so they can do "more" throughput against heavily armored targets, but you're going to have to Wait For It to let the DoTs tick.

I dont know how AP scaling and ranks come into this, but on average Rupture will be much higher damage than Eviscerate. If you are hemo with bit higher level then CS > 3pt rupture > 1pt Slice and Dice (60% it will be free cp) is a really nice opener for when you grind mobs that last, idk, 10+ sec.

I dont think it works for combat that well, because of worse energy/cp generation, better to start with SnD and save cp for finishing Evis.

Only reason rupture is not generally used is because it takes time to do damage, so you cant realy use it on fast dying trash and you run into debuff limit on bosses.

Edited by athero

5 hours ago, Roxanne Flowers said:

The primary motivation to not use Garrote is because the damage ticks break Gouge... <snip>

Well this thread is about using a bleed so of course there are downsides that people are aware of.

The upside of garrote though is that you don't need to gouge mobs because they die quicker. 

I'm not saying "always garrote, even on elementals or when you're low on health", but that garrote probably does more dmg than a lot of people realize. 

(TBC silence was 3 seconds)