Sign in to follow this  
Brenz

Rogue levelling, what am I doing wrong?

Hi all

Hoping to get some help here. 

I'm levelling a nelf rogue, currently in darkshore and level 16.

Im just dying all the time. Even 1 on 1 with a mob 1 Lvl higher than me I have a chance to die. My hits miss so often, I take tons of damage, and God forbid I get more than one mob by accident. 

My damage feels very low. 

I'm using a dagger in main hand and sword off hand, so I can still use backstab. 

Any levelling advise would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

Use whatever you can get at this point. You don't necessarily need to use daggers that early on and it's most likely what is killing you right now. Put two points into improved sinister strike and use a sword for now. Once you get further along in the ability tree and can find a decent dagger switch back. There is nothing wrong with leveling with 3/3 improved gouge and 2/2 improved sinister strike with a sword for a while until you can get better equipment. With 2/2  improved sinister strike you'll be able to spam attacks a bit more.

Make sure you use gouge to your advantage during a fight as well. When you gouge an enemy immediately use bandages to recover some HP.

Early levels will always be the hardest for you. Using daggers it will always be very difficult to take on multiple mobs. With swords it can become much more manageable to take on.

I had the same problem at that level. Pick your battles, grinding low level mobs if that what it takes, and use quests to get up through your levels. Grouping would be the best answer, I suppose. Give it another couple of levels and you might be able to get a group for Deadmines (though you should really head to Westfall now if that's your plan, so you can pick up the Van Cleef quest at the end of the Defias quest-line) which should help you upgrade your gear. 

Get friendly with an alchemist, gather healing potions and get used to fights being harder because a 16 rogue is not going to solo as easily as other classes. This period will pass, not least of all because you will start using poisons and pick-pocketing more healing potions than you can use (assuming you can master stealth) in the coming levels. At 16, I was dying to mobs my level. At 25, I was soloing (selected) level 30s.

On 2/3/2017 at 1:16 AM, Brenz said:

Hi all

Im just dying all the time. Even 1 on 1 with a mob 1 Lvl higher than me I have a chance to die. My hits miss so often, I take tons of damage, and God forbid I get more than one mob by accident. 

I'm using a dagger in main hand and sword off hand, so I can still use backstab. 

Thanks 

1. I would get 2-3 points in Precision (combat) ASAP.
  2. Also prioritize Slice and Dice instead of Eviscerate at the beginning of fights, and try to keep it up most of the time. 
  3. Use a sword or mace in mainhand and whatever in your offhand with best dps, or after 20, whatever is fastest speed in offhand (and decent dps).  Keep your weapons up to date (within 2-3 levels for greens or within 5-8 levels for blues).
  4. Don't forget your cooldowns, don't save them for a rainy day (pop that evasion, sprint to run away from losing fights).  And don't forget you can gouge/bandage.

Having certain consumables certainly doesn't hurt either.  You can get sharpening stones or weightstones until you get poisons to help with your overall dmg output.  You can buy or make agility elixirs and healing potions.

Edited by Maez

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:16 PM, Brenz said:

Hi all

Thanks 

so I had the same problem for a little. Grab as much greens as you can with Agi/Stam but mainly for Agi.

get yourself a fast off hand sword and slow main hand sword. I run dual cruel barbs (both fast swords) from dead mines.

as for talents, the order I went was;

2 imp SS (sinister strike)

3 Lightning Reflexes

5 Deflection

1 Riposte (Free Damage when having energy also disarms mob / Cause them to miss or hit less)

After this you can go either direction...

2 Endurance (reduce cooldown for evasion & sprint)

or

Remorseless Attacks / 1 pt 20% / 2pt 40% (increase SS crit chance)

I would go either way and follow up with precision 5pt and 5 dual wield.

Try to keep Slice n Dice up at all times. I don't really use Eviscerate maybe only when the mob is about to die and I have 5 points or when time calls and u need to drop the target quick. Level up First aid and make sure to stock up on bandages.

hope this helps!

As ppl been saying, slow sword mh and off hand doesnt really matter as long as its fast. Personally I Went most of the time with a dagger in OH so I got both weapon skills (and still got a oh dagger at 60 since I havent found a decent sword for it). Most overpowered talent while leveling is riposte, way more important then Everything else on that row. Lowers the inc dmg from all melee u fight and u get less parries. U know that big bad cow coming at u with his 2h? One parry and he looks dumb trying to hit u with his fists.

Dagger leveling is possible, but is a lot more work I personally dont find it Worth the effort.

And yes u will die. And getting 2 mobs at u will be a pita all the way to 60 unless U have BF off cd. I pretty much range pulled every time there was even a chance to get 2 mobs, and if u get 2 mobs u can bet someone will see the free hk.