Sign in to follow this  
FluEpidemic

The skill up levels for smelting are just flat out wrong.

Iron, Silver and Gold so far atleast allow skillups in green until you unlock the ability to mine the next metal. However Iron and mithril you get no opportunity to level through smelting at all. I'm not sure if originally Blizzard just didn't get it right from the start. Or maybe it possible Elysium has it coded it wrong. But it is making the process of leveling mining so much harder than it should be.

I struggled through iron by just mining it in the field and I thought my struggles were over when Gold was working. Then I got to 175 mining and gathered some mithril ore. I was very disappointed to see that smelting mithril bars was gray immediately. I know that Blizzard made some adjustments to mining levels to make it easier. I'm not asking for that. But I believe the smelting levels should at least be green until you gain access to mine the next metal. 

It's really only in Copper phase that you can get Mining skill from Smelting.  By the time you reach Tin (for Bronze) you start getting very very little skill from Smelting (if any at all).  By the time you reach Iron and up, you can pretty much forget gaining skill from Smelting.

The basic notion is that you're supposed to MINE the Ore out in the wider game world rather than just buy it off the Auction House and Smelt your way to 300 without ever leaving town.

As advertised ... welcome to Vanilla, where you actually have to PLAY THE GAME to advance.

On 2/3/2017 at 0:11 PM, Roxanne Flowers said:

Welcome to Vanilla.  You're supposed to skill up Mining by ... uh ... MINING ... not by going to the Forge.

The problem is not mining is the amount of nodes found in Vanilla.  Tin was a pain but Mithril is the worst.  No other gathering profession is such a pain and honestly does not pay that well in AH atm.  Thorium is everywhere!

Plus you can argue when nodes become green.  My example atm is Mithril is green at 229 for me.  So I basically have to mine 2-3 modes for a skill up to get to 245.  Truesilver is fairly common, which helps.