Sign in to follow this  
gotmilk0112

Leveling - Pet choice?

^Topic. What's the best pet for leveling, in terms of...should I go with a DPS pet, or a tanky pet?

I've got a boar at the moment, but I'm planning on getting the 1.2 attack speed cat from Hillsbrad once I get up to the appropriate level.

4 minutes ago, gotmilk0112 said:

Don't higher attack speeds equate to higher DPS, though?

Nope, a pet with higher attack speed deals less damage with each attack. Different pets of the same class always have same dps.

The only noticeable difference is that pet with higher attack speed can maintain a bit more frenzy uptime and interrupt enemy player's spellcasting better, so for PvE it doesn't really matter.

Edited by Oakenlix

If you're BM and got Frenzy your pets DPS could be a bit higher with faster attackspeed, but i doubt it's significant unless you get a 2.0+ AS pet that won't be able to keep Frenzy up 100%.

I think the most used pets for leveling are boars(decent tank, charge helps with initial threat and can root targets, eats almost everything you find), cats(highest DPS along with raptors, but they can also learn useful abilities like Dash and Prowl, also they usually have high AS which is good for world PvP on these high pop servers) and wolves.(medium tank/dps, but mainly used for Howl which is really good in group content)

I've also seen people play with serpents, raptors, or some other defensive pets and saying that it works well and is fun to play. Some people also like Owls, which are only really usable earlier on when you're a Night Elf or go to Teld. Personally i still think they cant compete with boars/cats/wolves, but it shouldn't be that much of a difference, and if you enjoy some of the others more , or care more about style just go for it. I've leveled since about lvl 30 with a cat and it worked really well. Getting one of the 1.2 cats is a good choice since they're basically the best after Broken Tooth.

I've got Elder Mottled Boar right now which has a 2.0 attack speed according to the bestiary...should I aim to get one of the 1.2 attack speed cats from Hillsbrad once I hit 23/24 ?

I did go out and get one of the turtles in Barrens to get Bite 2, and my boar seems to do some decent damage.

Edited by gotmilk0112

3 hours ago, Trales said:

Some people also like Owls, which are only really usable earlier on when you're a Night Elf or go to Teld.

My Night Elf Hunter just reached Level 17 and so it's time to go Tame some other Beasts to get some more Skills.  I have been using an Owl since Level 10 however, and it was kinda "ho hum" from 10-15 with nothing really special about it, other than the fact that its diet is exclusively Meat (which is surprisingly hard to come by for a new Hunter on Teldrassil since it's basically Kaldorei Surprise or nothing up there).  However, once I reached Level 16 and could go out to Westfall and pick up Screech from a Greater Fleshripper (by having it Screech at Rabbits and Deer and Sheep in Elwynn Forest) ... well, let's just say that my Owl has just turned up the Awesome.

I never played with an Owl or Screech a decade ago, since I was using Ghost Kitty from Mathystra back then (they go "invisible" when Prowling), so the whole "screaming bird" routine is new for me this time around.  But the debuff of Attack Power this skill offers makes an Owl not only a PBAoE aggro magnet, but it also helps both you AND your Owl tank mobs and adds.  Screech is pretty much the only Pet attack debuff available, and it costs 20 Focus and has a 4 second debuff duration.  Although the skill doesn't list a cooldown before it can be reused, in practice I'm discovering that when on autocast my Owl won't use Screech again until the duration of the previous debuff has expired.  This has an important implication in that if Screech is the only Focus using skill your Pet has, their Focus will never drop below 80, simply because without talent points they'll recover that 20 Focus in 4 seconds ... which exactly matches how fast a Pet will reuse Screech.  This means that there's no "overstacking" of Screech getting cast more often than the debuff will expire.

All that said, Owls are really only "easy" get for Night Elves.  Dwarves will have to make the "long hike" to Menethil and then take the boat to Auberdine, assuming that hopping through a Portal to Darnassus isn't in the offing.  For the Horde it's even worse, since you have to get through Darnassus in order to get out into the "wilds" of Teldrassil where the Owls can be found.  Short of that, it's waiting for Winterspring (basically) before Owls show up again after Teldrassil.

At any rate, I am highly impressed by Screech, which can be used by Owls, Carrion Birds and Bats.  Being able to do "Claw" comparable damage every 4 seconds AND having a PBAoE Attack Power debuff thrown into the bargain?  WANT!

On ‎2017‎-‎02‎-‎06 at 2:08 AM, gotmilk0112 said:

I've got Elder Mottled Boar right now which has a 2.0 attack speed according to the bestiary...should I aim to get one of the 1.2 attack speed cats from Hillsbrad once I hit 23/24 ?

I did go out and get one of the turtles in Barrens to get Bite 2, and my boar seems to do some decent damage.

A boar is just fine. If you enjoy a fair bit of PvP you might consider using a cat instead.

Attack speed is only ever useful in PvP, and only against casters. Attacks push back their casting-bar, so hitting them often will make their spell-casting slow.

However, if you change to cat, then remember that its more fragile then the boar and has higher maintenance. A boar is a trash-bin that will eat anything including mage produced bread, a cat eats fish and meat and in general it doesn't drop enough of that to maintain the poor pet.

On 2/5/2017 at 11:21 AM, Oakenlix said:

Nope, a pet with higher attack speed deals less damage with each attack. Different pets of the same class always have same dps.

The only noticeable difference is that pet with higher attack speed can maintain a bit more frenzy uptime and interrupt enemy player's spellcasting better, so for PvE it doesn't really matter.

5 hours ago, Perkalov said:

Attack speed is only ever useful in PvP, and only against casters. Attacks push back their casting-bar, so hitting them often will make their spell-casting slow.

Ah, wait, I remember now...from one of the pet guides:

hqnC91w.png

A cat would have 20% more damage than a Boar. But does attack speed really not matter? People really go to insane lengths to tame Brokentooth for that 1.0 attack speed, even though it doesn't really give more DPS?

I'll go ahead and grab one of the cats from Hillsbrad, just to test it out. My boar already feels invincible against single mobs; I almost never have to heal him.

Edited by gotmilk0112

Attack speed is only ever important against things with casting-bars. Primarily other players (read: casters).

Every attack pushes the casting-time back a bit, so a pet with 1.0 attack will push the bar back twice as much as a 2.0

This is why people want Broken Tooth. Not because of DPS.

All [insert pet of choice] have x DPS. If the attackspeed is 2.0 then the damage of the attack is x*2.

Ah, alrighty. I went ahead and got a Hillsbrad cat (1.2 attack speed) and holy shit it's shredding mobs. With Claw 3 and Bite 2, along with the +10% damage, it does way more DPS than the boar. I think I'll stick with this. Something-something "best defense is good offense".