Sign in to follow this  
Ratziel

[1.12.1] Elicas guide to Paladin threat

I've put together a little guide for aspiring Paladin Tanks regarding threat generation and tanking.

Please note, I am passing absolutely no comment on how successful, accepted or viable you will be.

Credit for the basic idea and layout of the guide goes to Triface, I have simply taken his guide and amended the relevant to cover Paladin mechanics.

Righteous Fury

This is a self buff that increases the threat generated by your holy damage attacks (including on hit abilities like Seals) by 60% or 90% with talents. It is mandatory to keep this buff up if you are tanking.

• It only affects Holy attacks, so does not affect the threat from your white auto attack hits or from your heals.

Unlike Warrior stances, this buff has to be cast (for a substantial mana cost) and only has a 30 minute duration. If you are going to sit and drink after a pull, I recommend rebuffing this before you do. Get used to rebuffing on a semi-regular occurrence. Having this buff drop off in the middle of a fight can/will cause wipes.

The Pull

As a tank you should always be the one to pull, the reasons for this are twofold:

1. The mobs attack you first which makes them easy to group together.
  2. In order to pull aggro from someone you need to cause 10-30% (10% in melee, 30% ranged) more threat than the person at the top of the mob's hate list. If you are the first to pull then you are instantly at the top of the hate list and everyone else needs to do at least 10% more threat than you to gain aggro.

Unlike Warriors, Paladins have no ranged weapon so we cannot always pull to a safe position.

There are only three ways we can pull from range;

1. Exorcism used on a Demonic or Undead target.
  2. Grenades.
  3. Holy Shock (if talented).

You could ask a party member to pull with a rank 1 spell or single ranged attack, but then you lose the initial threat 'bump' from the pull, and you will then have to cause an additional 10% threat on all targets in order to pick them up. If it is safe to do so, it is better to "face pull" (run into the next group) than let a ranged pull for you.

Rotations

Unlike Warriors, Paladins do not have a strict rotation or any particular debuffs/tanking buffs to apply beyond Holy Shield (if talented). Instead we operate on more of a priority list;

Righteous Fury > Holy Shield > Holy Wrath > Exorcism > Seal of Righteousness > Judgement of Righteousness > Consecration (see below)

Consecration and mana management are two of the more important parts of Paladin tanking. Consecration does low damage, is not affected by AP (most tanking gear has no spellpower so you'll only have Str and AP) and costs a LOT of mana if you do not downrank appropriately. This is where on the fly mana management plays such a big role in the life of the Paladin tank. You need to be able to decide;

• Do i need to consecrate for threat?
  • Which rank can I use without running OOM?
  • Am I tanking enough mobs to warrant using consecrate instead of judgement and tab-targetting?

One of the major things in our favour however, is that Consecrate hits an unlimited amount of targets, much like Blizzard and Hellfire, we can essentially tank more AoE targets than any other tank in the game, for significantly less effort, as long as we have the mana to do so.

One major mistake made by a lot of rookie Paladin tanks is trying to judge Crusader on everything and keep up permanent Consecration damage. It's perfectly fine to drop a max rank Consecrate as you pick the group up, and then just judge and reseal Righteousness to maintain maximum threat output, especially on short trash fights.

Judgement of Light vs Judgement of the Crusader

Judgement of the Crusader rank 6 causes you to do up to 140 more damage per holy attack on the mob it has been judged on. For many Paladins, this is usually the go to judgement to use against bosses, since more holy damage = more threat, right?

Not always.

The Judgement of the Crusader doesn't increase the damage of every ability by 140. It instead increases it by the amount of Spellpower coefficient that spell has, with a 100% coefficient gaining +140 damage. Paladin spellpower coefficients for our tanking abilities are as follows;

• 10% Seal of Righteousness with 1 handed weapon
  • 50% Judgement of Righteousness
  • 33% Consecration
  • 43% Holy Shock
  • 43% Hammer of Wrath
  • 43% Exorcism
  • 19% Holy Wrath
  • 20% Holy Shield

For example;

A max rank Judgement of Righteousness with +100 spell power will cause;

162-179 + 50 (spellpower) + 70 (JotC) = 282-299 damage.

A max rank Seal of Righteousness swing proc will cause (not including all the little things that form the SoR formula for obvious reasons);

20.5-71.4 + 10 (spellpower) + 14 (JotC) = 44.5-94.4 damage per proc.

However, if you are in a melee or physical heavy group, Judgement of Light can give more return on investment than JotC for threat, depending on the encounter and the scripting of the server. Overhealing should give no threat, the threat from the proc should go to the paladin who judged not the person who is healed, and only physical damage/abilities should proc it, not spells.

If you have lots of physical damage DPS and you are under aoe attack, you can easily get more threat from JoL than JotC.

Threat Per Ability

Threat for each ability is calculated in the following way;

White Damage + (Holy Damage * 1.9) = Total. Obviously, for most of our spells, there is no white damage component.

If we take a Paladin with +100 Spell Damage and a standard early Paladin tanking weapon such as Sageblade and a target debuffed with JotC, we would get;

Seal of Righteousness with 1 handed weapon
49-100 + ((20.5-71.4 + 24)*1.9) = 74.5 + ((69.95)*1.9) = 207.405 average threat per swing.

Judgement of Righteousness
(162-179 + 120)*1.9 = 551.95 average threat per judgement.

Consecration
((384 + 33)*1.9) /8 = 98.8 average threat per mob per tick, 106.875 threat per tick to judged target.

Holy Shock
(365-396 + 86)*1.9 = 886.35 average threat per cast.

Hammer of Wrath
(504-557 + 86)*1.9 = 1,171.35 average threat per cast.

Exorcism
(505-564 + 86)*1.9 = 1,178.95 average threat per cast.

Holy Wrath
(490-577 + 19)*1.9 = 1,049.75 average threat per mob hit per cast, 1,085.85 average to judged target.

Holy Shield
(65+20)*2.1 = 178.5 average threat per proc.

Blessing of Sanctuary
35*1.9 = 66.5 average threat per block.

Retribution Aura
20*1.9 = 38 average threat per proc.

Managing Your Group

It is significantly harder to manage a group as a Paladin tank than as a warrior tank. You will require DPS who understand when to DPS, how to let you pull and a healer who has an idea of how Paladin tanks work. You don't have the 'oh shit' cooldowns that a Warrior has, and you don't have a taunt like a Druid/Warrior to make up for lazy DPS pulling threat if they aren't /assisting properly.

Using Blessing of Protection as a pseudo taunt separates the good Paladin tanks from the average.

To reiterate, I am passing absolutely no comment on how successful, accepted or viable you will be.

Unlike Warriors, Paladins do not have a strict rotation or any particular debuffs/tanking buffs to apply beyond Holy Shield (if talented). Instead we operate on more of a priority list;

Righteous Fury > Holy Shield > Holy Wrath > Exorcism > Seal of Righteousness > Judgement of Righteousness > Consecration (see below)

Shows how clueless this guy Elicas is,

Consecration and mana management are two of the more important parts of Paladin tanking. Consecration does low damage, is not affected by AP (most tanking gear has no spellpower so you'll only have Str and AP) and costs a LOT of mana if you do not downrank appropriately. This is where on the fly mana management plays such a big role in the life of the Paladin tank. You need to be able to decide;

Do i need to consecrate for threat?

Which rank can I use without running OOM?

Am I tanking enough mobs to warrant using consecrate instead of judgement and tab-targetting?

Always Max Rank and not spamming like headless Chicken.

Judgement of Light vs Judgement of the Crusader

Judgement of the Crusader rank 6 causes you to do up to 140 more damage per holy attack on the mob it has been judged on. For many Paladins, this is usually the go to judgement to use against bosses, since more holy damage = more threat, right?

Not always.

Not using Judgement of the Crusader is biggest mistake any Paladin would do while tanking Boss, this person clearly did never Maintank any Boss to support this claim.

However, if you are in a melee or physical heavy group, Judgement of Light can give more return on investment than JotC for threat, depending on the encounter and the scripting of the server

This would be Truth if you had Bugged Abilities, for example like in Nostalrius back in the days 1 Heal was doing 0.5 threats,  in reality and here 1 Heal does 0.25 Threats for Paladin , so regardless how much Melee you have , it won't even give you half of the threats you would gain from JotC , not to mention that you can do Multiple Ranks of JoTC for extremely high threats no other Class would ever do.

Threat Per Ability

Last thing is that there are multiple factors that will increase your threats of the Abilities he Mention , he never ever brought in the calculations One-Handed Weapon Spec and his Seal of Righteousness formula is completely incorrect unfortunately , i personally do 350 Threats per swing with Flurry Axe without the 100 Spell Damage.

Holy Shield
(65+20)*2.1 = 178.5 average threat per proc.

Holy Shield , it is Highest Threats Ability , you should be doing always Max Rank where 1 Block will reward you 130+ Damage which result into 270+-* Threats per Block or overall , minimum 1k Threats with 4 Blocks.

(He was clearly using low rank , which is completely false information, this proves his wrong knowledge regarding Protection Paladin and how it should work).

/Kind regards Killerduki

I have 2 types of tank modes I run with.

1. 1-2 mobs Judge Crusader and rock rightous, Normal assist the tank
2. 3+ Mobs Judge Wisdom on the "Last Kill target" have the DPS focus a caster mob. I Dump max rank consecrate. The focus caster mob usualy runs around a little, but its nothing the DPS/Healer can't manage.

Setup 2 works Extreamly well for me with out being super OOM all the time

I use Flurry Axe in my main hand and just newly obtained a Skullflame shield.

Tanking as a paladin all comes down to your group. They have to know how a paladin tanks and that they can't go ham on 1 target to early (I'm talking to you impatient rogues and warriors)