Sign in to follow this  
Purna

Spell hit mechanic, 1-roll or 2-roll?

This question has been asked before, but it is of more importance now than ever with ZG coming.

Are we on a 1-roll or 2-roll system? 1-roll meaning your crit% will add a flat amount of crits to your casts, and 2-roll being crit having to first pass a hit check. For example: If I have 10% crit and 0% hit and cast 1k shadowbolts on a 63boss I'd hit 830 on paper, but crit either 100 or 83 times depending on roll system.

Has anyone else done testing?

2 hours ago, Purna said:

This question has been asked before, but it is of more importance now than ever with ZG coming.

Are we on a 1-roll or 2-roll system? 1-roll meaning your crit% will add a flat amount of crits to your casts, and 2-roll being crit having to first pass a hit check. For example: If I have 10% crit and 0% hit and cast 1k shadowbolts on a 63boss I'd hit 830 on paper, but crit either 100 or 83 times depending on roll system.

Has anyone else done testing?

Generally in vanilla you first have to hit before you crit, idk in which iteration it was changed, but I'm pretty sure we have, as you described, 2 roll system. 

1 roll. Mean lack of +hit will lower your true crit chance. 

There is no attack table for spells, only for phys attacks.

I would like to know the answer to this as well, since it shifts priority for best dps. I believe it was a 1 roll system in original vanilla for spells, only melee attacks had 2 roll.

How 1 roll compares to 2 roll -

Mage/Lock with following stats - 10% crit 10% miss (7% hit on gear)

1 roll = the server rolls a number 1-100. 1-10 is crit, 11-90 is hit, 91-100 is miss. In most cases adding crit is superior to hit (on average). Warlocks (imp shadow bolt) and fire mages (ignite rolling). For Frost mage, there is little difference.

2 roll = the server rolls a number 1-100. 1-10 is miss, 11-90 is hit, then from that result it rolls again for hit or crit, 10% of 90 is 9%, so your effective crit chance is lower than your stats indicate. In all cases adding hit is superior to crit (on average).

A friend of mine looked at the open source code and explained to me that it was a 2 roll system.

Adding to my 2 roll information above, it seems the bonus effects from ignite rolling and improved shadow bolt could still be a net gain, but for frost, hit would be superior.

For shadow/smite priest, crit scales very poorly and hit will always be better.

I'm not familiar with balance or elemental in vanilla so I can't say for those specs.

In summary, I would suggest that if your spell has no improved crit modifier, you should always favor hit. If your spell has only an improved crit modifier, but nothing else, hit will probably be best. If your spell has an improved crit modifier AND bonus effects, crit will probably be better.

In the end, though, you need to consider how a piece of gear is itemized. Even a fire mage or warlock would want a neltharion's tear, for example, just because of the sheer DPS value. If two items are exactly the same except trading hit and crit at 1:1 ratio, then consult your spell modifiers to make your decision.

On 4/23/2017 at 8:37 PM, Sulf said:

1 roll. Mean lack of +hit will lower your true crit chance. 

There is no attack table for spells, only for phys attacks.

There is attack table for every type of attack. And it is 2 roll.

Look, go to BWL. Put just crit gear on your self and see what will you come out with, and then put some hit gear after. See the difference for your self.

2 часа назад, Elviss сказал:

There is attack table for every type of attack. And it is 2 roll.

Look, go to BWL. Put just crit gear on your self and see what will you come out with, and then put some hit gear after. See the difference for your self.

Spells is another thing. 

i was told it was 1roll till 2weeks ago, than it got fixed and its 2roll now.

i got no backup for this, but mb its correct and will make your research easier. 

GL

Its is 2  roll, it has never been 1 roll. For melee its 1 roll, but it has never been 1 roll for casters.