Sign in to follow this  
Cetus

Blocked crits?

Hello,

Can someone please help me understand how a crit can also be blocked? See this screenshot here, where the combat log shows a partial block on a shieldslam crit: http://imgur.com/a/Bmveu.

As I understand it, any result of melee combat is a roll 1-10.000, where an X number results in a block, and an X number results in a crit, so they should be mutually exclusive. Am I missing something? I've noticed this more times since the screenshot on various abilities. Perhaps notably, the blocked amount always seems to be 29.

Thanks in advance!

As far as i know, crit and block can overlap in the hit table.
It's why you want to reduce chance to be crit by stacking defense on tanks, othervise you'd negate most critical hits by using shield block with 2 charges.

Block is a mitigation ability, it reduces the damage you take by a certain amount based on block value, hence the same number. (at least on the same kind of mobs.)

block and crit does not overlap on the attack table. yellow attacks are on a two roll system just like caster spells, first roll checks for a hit/miss/crit then the second roll uses the attack table.

See Unit.cpp from source code.  White hits never critically block (there is code for this case but it never executes), but yellow hits can.  In fact yellow melee hits are implemented as a 3 roll system in the code.  First miss/dodge/parry is checked, if they fail then crit is rolled, and finally block is rolled.

21 hours ago, Vilius said:

See Unit.cpp from source code.  White hits never critically block (there is code for this case but it never executes), but yellow hits can.  In fact yellow melee hits are implemented as a 3 roll system in the code.  First miss/dodge/parry is checked, if they fail then crit is rolled, and finally block is rolled.

So if I understand you right it looks something like this (the percentages are just made up, just look at the sytstem):

Roll 1:

Miss: 10%
Parry: 10%
Dodge: 10%
Move on to die roll 2: 70%
---

Roll 2:
Crit 25%, and move on to Roll 3.
Hit 75%, and move on to Roll 3.
---

Roll 3:
Block 10%
Unmitigated 90%
--------------

If the above is how it works, then I can see how crits are sometimes blocked. My next question would then be about crit chance: if die roll 1 needs to be passed before die roll 2 is made, then my crit chance in the above scenario would be 0.7*0.25 = 17.5%. How does increased crit chance on gear for example affect this then?

Say I have a piece of gear that increases my crit chance by 2%. Would that be a flat 2% increase on my overall yellow attacks? Or would it only increase my crit chance in die roll 2 by 2%?

If the former is true, then the crit chance in die roll 2 would need to be 0.7*X = 19.5%   X = 19.5/0.7 = 27.86%.
If the latter is true, then the crit chance in die roll 2 would become 27% instead of 25%, with the actual crit chance becoming 0.7*0.27 = 18.9% (Giving me effectively 1.4% crit when the gear says 2%).

Maybe I'm missing something here. If so, please point it out.

Also, all of this is about player's yellow hits hitting a mob/boss. Does the situation chance when we discuss mob's yellow hits hitting player?

EDIT: I would love to find all of this in the source code myself, but I'm not as adept at reading code as most of you here probably, and I can't be sure if I would be reading it right.

Yes, +crit increases crit chance in roll 2 (this is also why the crit cap for yellow hits is 100%, completely different from the white crit cap).

Mobs can only crit on white hits, so what levran said is technically true (since crit block doesn't occur on white hits)