Sign in to follow this  
andrenn

High Latency

Is anyone else on the East Coast experiencing high latency? Got high as 3 sec yesterday. Today it's more reasonable 94-120. Anyone using VPN?

15 minutes ago, andrenn said:

Is anyone else on the East Coast experiencing high latency? Got high as 3 sec yesterday. Today it's more reasonable 94-120. Anyone using VPN?

Left Coast here, LA area. (yes, I know it's the wrong side of the country... but just for comparison.)

Usually get around 170ms when I'm on in the evening... after work and my kids are in bed... so around 8p-ish.

No VPN... Spectrum cable for internet... contracted for 100mb down and 10mb up. If I turn off QoS on my router I can pull 120mb down and push out 12mb... with QoS on, I usually pull around 90mb down and push 9mb out.

thanks Guardian.

getting 1850 now with FIOS. Earlier had 90-120. Could be server latency.  Too bad because I like this server. Decent pop and AH

Edited by andrenn

Just started playing, and chose Darrowshire. I have to ask, is it always this laggy? I also get near constant disconnects.  Sure, I live on the west coast, but my ping is about 170ms, which is crap for pvp, but for pve, it should be fine.  I have Spectrum as well.  

Edited by Maeriss
Spelling

It varies. Can go as low as 90 msec then back to 2000 msec. Logging out / on helps.

170 for  pve is fine but not pvp. I think there is server in Canada but not sure.

On 9/15/2017 at 5:46 PM, Maeriss said:

Just started playing, and chose Darrowshire. I have to ask, is it always this laggy? I also get near constant disconnects.  Sure, I live on the west coast, but my ping is about 170ms, which is crap for pvp, but for pve, it should be fine.  I have Spectrum as well.  

13 hours ago, andrenn said:

It varies. Can go as low as 90 msec then back to 2000 msec. Logging out / on helps.

170 for  pve is fine but not pvp. I think there is server in Canada but not sure.

The highest ping I've ever had for Darrowshire has been in the low 200s... and that's while streaming music from Youtube and also broadcasting to Twitch. Even then, I've never experienced any actual "lag". (I used to play Quake on dial up, back in the day... so I kinda remember what real lag is like. Ha.)

I think the server is actually somewhere in France... or roundabouts that region... but I could be wrong.

I play on Elysium and was having these issues (east coast fios). Using a vpn solved all my lag/latency issues.  I connect to location in the uk and actually have better ping, around 10 to 20 ms lower, than if I wasn't using it. 

Edited by bmac
spelling

1 hour ago, bmac said:

I play on Elysium and was having these issues (east coast fios). Using a vpn solved all my lag/latency issues.  I connect to location in the uk and actually have better ping, around 10 to 20 ms lower, than if I wasn't using it. 

I think someone on another thread also said that FIOS also throttles the connection... so that's also where the better ping using a VPN comes in.

To my knowledge, Spectrum doesn't throttle or have data caps. 

latency has improved in recent days. 100-120 msec. yesterday. Can't complain about that. I only pve so for me it's fine.

Edited by andrenn